Thread: Please help identifying Waterman fountain pen

Thanks

Default Please help identifying Waterman fountain pen

Hello everyone,
    I'm new here
    I have found a nice Waterman pen at the local thrift, but having hard time identifying, as there is no name, number or year on it.
    The pen looks unused and has cartrige and inking mechanism (what's the propper name for it?).
    The nib looks gold plated and says "Waterman France L", is L - size of the nib? Nib feels stiff.
    It says "Made in France" on the golden ring on the cap and on the inking mechanism.
    I'll try to upload some pictures I took.
    I googled, but pens I found had diferent golden ring placement than mine.
    I wonder what model that is, is it rare, collectible?
    Thank you very much for your replies, I appreciate it.IMG_4444.jpgIMG_4453.jpgIMG_4455.jpgIMG_4451.jpgIMG_4450.jpgIMG_4448.jpg

Thanks

Default Re: Please help identifying Waterman fountain pen

It' very close to Waterman Maestro I had. In 1990s all fountain pens were slimline like this (at least it seemed like it for a while), cartridge fillers. I think it's still made.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,748 Posts

Welcome to FPGeeks.

I also think it's a Waterman Maestro. The "inking mechanism" is cartridge or converter. The nib is made from steel and L would be broad (large.) Sadly not rare and therefore not known as particularly collectable because it's a modern pen. It should write nicely enough if you like broad nibs.

It's not listed as a current model on the Waterman site.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 30th, 2019 at 11:50 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

This isn't rare, but it's a lovely pen. And while not 'collectable', there are quite a few Waterman fans around - I must admit to having gradually built up a small collection of Waterman Laureats and Experts, which are from about the same time.

And you have a broad nib, which is not rare exactly, but unusual - Waterman sold the majority of its pens with M and F nib sizes.

Lovely condition, too. I'd be very happy to have found a pen like that at the thrift store.

Thanks

Thank you so much for replies!

I am fairly new to fountain pens but from what I have tried, I already know my favorites - fine soft flex nibs Trying to improve my terrible handwriting.
    I paid $40, some pens I've seen there were twice as much and in pretty bad shape, so 40 seemed to be an "ok" price, a bit on the high side though for a thrift.