Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pen Database

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Database

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    You're very welcome, and I'm pleased to see that it's worked out well for for a few people.
    Any chance of getting a copy of your templates?
    If they won't go on the forum, I can post them on my web server so others can also get them.
    Don't do winblows, but will give it a go on Linux and can help the non-tech Linux and Mac users to install GStar.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whych For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Certainly - if you drop me a PM with your email I'll send them on. Linux installation is a breeze (of course) and the same goes for Windows surprisingly enough, but I don't think there's a non-tech way to get this onto a Mac, unfortunately.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyT For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have All my pens and stuff on JonRo's program for years, BUT I am currently working on Benito with my iPad to load that up as I use my IPad quite a bit!
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chi Town For This Useful Post:

Frank (October 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    I do something a little different. I use Evernote.

I have an evernote folder for my collection and my want list. When I get a pen it moves from want to collection. Each pen has its own evernote document (clipped from websites, or wherever I find the pen) with pictures/information/price/name/etc. Great way to keep lots of information about a pen, amend as needed.
    Brilliant idea. I keep track of all of my incoming and outgoing letters in Evernote (Divided by individual into folders.) I don't know why this never occurred to me to do the same thing. I keep a list of pens on my blog site, and each links off to the review page for that pen, but something like this would be great for tracking original purchase prices, particular parts numbers or specs along with the photos. I'm totally going to steal that and start working on my database tonight!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DrChumley For This Useful Post:

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

I love me some Evernote. Been a premium user for about 2 years. Use it for so many things which is funny considering it is to help you sort of remain paperless but I love using fountain pens so much,lol. I have the database I downloaded a while back from FPN and just recently started using it. I also keep an list of which pens are inked and with what. I keep that on Evernote in case I ever forget while out and about with my daily carry's.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RayCornett For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

I sure need to come up with something

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GING GING For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

Ok I need to drag out this old thread. During years I have been using the FP Inventory database I downloaded from FPN to keep track of my pens. I just bought a new Mac that runs Mojave 10.14.6 and the DB just quit on me. The screenshot shows this dialog:

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 4.44.56 PM.png

So who has an alternative app for a FP inventory database on a Mac?

PS. If you're wondering why I still have the older Yosemite screen it's because I find the Mojave screen unappealing. And it also makes me thirsty!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

It’s preparing you for even worse when Catalina comes out.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    It’s preparing you for even worse when Catalina comes out.
    It can't get any worse. With Mac OS 10.14.4 there would simply be a pop-up warning that the FP Inventory app was not compatible... but it still worked. Now with this last update (10.14.6) it will not open.... and all my pen info is on that app!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hmmm just found this recently dragged-up thread.... A short while back, i made a mySQL database for my personal use, but I think it may have broad applicability for others as well. As I've got it setup now, I can keep track of my inks, pens including buy and sales prices, ink usage, discount codes, and my pen wishlist. I'm willing to share it, make a video or screenshots demonstrating it, if there's interest.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlohaPens For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Pen Database

I use Microsoft OneNote . I can have a unlimited sections, pages and subsections with images, texts, handwriting (if you have a tablet or stylus), videos, audio recordings, graphs, charts, basically anything you can imagine. And these are all printable or you can creat a link for someone to view it as a webpage even if they don’t have the software downloaded.
    My “Pen” section I divided into subsections by brand. I also have an ink sections divided divided by ink qualities (color, shaving, sheen) with subsections of different brands.
    The cool think is I can tags to different places throughout my OneNote notebooks. This means that rather than writing out what ink works with each pen (or vise verse) I can just add all my tags under each pen that link me straight to that ink review with images, videos, excel spreadsheets, pdfs, etc, all pertaining to that ink.
    Another great feature is that everything in OneNote- even the texts that are in PDFs or images- is searchable. So if I add in a PDF of an old vintage pen advertisement or if I write out something but cant remember where it is, I can use the search function to find it. The search function also works for handwritten notes (although you must have good penmanship for it to work with cursive handwriting)

OneNote is 100% free and therefore tons of support videos online. It is one of the most popular softwares. Because of its seemingly endless application people and companies have been applying this single software platform in place of all their other ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk