Thread: Franklin-Christoph SIG & Masuyama CI nibs...

Thanks

Default Franklin-Christoph SIG & Masuyama CI nibs...

In an earlier post I started a discussion about finding the right experience for italic-ish writing. I've tried several things so far and have had some interesting successes and failures. Through a recommendation to seek-out the work of a nibsmith named Mike Masuyama, a came to the Franklin-Christoph offerings.

They are expensive pens (by my standards), but looked very nice, and I was immediately interested in their "SIG" nibs (Stub Italic Gradient). I've now purchased one of their models with an SIG nib, in a fine, and I have mixed feelings about it.

The pen itself is jaw-droppingly gorgeous, and probably the highest quality, by far, in my collection. It's rather amazing, really. The nib is crazy-smooth, too. It absolutely glides across the paper. In terms of line-quality, though, I can't decide if I'm mildly encouraged or mildly disappointed. There is hardly any variation at all. By my way of thinking, the nib writes more like a normal broad than like anything offering significant line variation. Also, the line is not as clean and distinct as I'd like. The edges are a bit ragged. In a way, though, I'm finding that aspect of the experience -- with this particular nib -- to be kinda interesting. It's ragged in a way that actually looks kinda good.

At any rate, though, what I'm wondering about is the experience others have had with both Franklin-Christoph pens, in general, and more specifically with their SIG nibs. Would I have gotten closer to what I was looking for if I'd simply gotten an SIG broad, or medium, over the fine?

On a similar note, has anyone used the Masuyama Cursive Italic grinds? Would those, perhaps, get me to where I want to go?

Thanks!

Thanks

Default Re: Franklin-Christoph SIG & Masuyama CI nibs...

It seems to me that, trying to make a stub nib out of a fine nib would be an exercise in frustration. Wouldn't you need to start with something that's got a bit of width to it if you want line variation?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to although For This Useful Post:

michaeldoleman (June 7th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by although View Post
    It seems to me that, trying to make a stub nib out of a fine nib would be an exercise in frustration. Wouldn't you need to start with something that's got a bit of width to it if you want line variation?
    Depends on the "fine" nib. A japanese fine? Yes, you're not going to get a lot of variation. A western Bock/Jowo/Pelikan fine nib has a decent enough blob of a tip that you can a good writer that has a little variation/flair. If you want dramatic variation, the more broad the better.

Here's an M300 with a Fine I ground to a stub/italic. There's a good thread on small stubs on FPN LINK

SmallStubsM300F.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

michaeldoleman (June 7th, 2019), SIR (June 8th, 2019)

Thanks

I hear what you're saying, on the one hand, but on the other, I take "fine" to mean something different when it comes to a stub or italic nib (and perhaps I'm totally offbase on this). I read "fine" as the line width for the horizontal axis of the nib -- the thin portion of the line formation. Also, as I understand it, the SIG nibs in particular aren't simply modded from base F/M/B nibs -- they are produced as italics, to begin with, and then given a slight mod to make them a little bit more like a stub. Again, though, I could be wrong about all of that -- I'm really just learning, at this point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Depends on the "fine" nib. A japanese fine? Yes, you're not going to get a lot of variation. A western Bock/Jowo/Pelikan fine nib has a decent enough blob of a tip that you can a good writer that has a little variation/flair. If you want dramatic variation, the more broad the better.

Here's an M300 with a Fine I ground to a stub/italic. There's a good thread on small stubs on FPN LINK

SmallStubsM300F.jpg
    Nice. I really like that. I've not yet taken to any flex nibs that I've tried, although I am certainly more than willing to press onwards and see if there is one out there that is right for my writing style. Thanks for the sample. I still don't own a Pelikan pen, but it's high on my list for acquisition. I had thought to purchase one of their factory italics, but perhaps I will look into a flex, instead.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldoleman View Post
    Nice. I really like that. I've not yet taken to any flex nibs that I've tried, although I am certainly more than willing to press onwards and see if there is one out there that is right for my writing style. Thanks for the sample. I still don't own a Pelikan pen, but it's high on my list for acquisition. I had thought to purchase one of their factory italics, but perhaps I will look into a flex, instead.
    Thanks. Note that it’s not really a flex nib. Most modern Pelikans are pretty firm. This is a slightly older one with a little spring. I’m forcing it on the widest vertical line, but you can see what it does with normal writing on the downstroke of the “g” in “dog”.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,155 Posts

I've been very happy with the line variation from a Franklin-Christoph Masuyama medium cursive italic. It's a crisp nib

You may already have seen these reviews:
    Franklin-Christoph Model 45 (Fine Cursive Italic)
    Franklin-Christoph broad steel nibs with grinds compared

10. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

michaeldoleman (June 7th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    I've been very happy with the line variation from a Franklin-Christoph Masuyama medium cursive italic. It's a crisp nib

You may already have seen these reviews:
    Franklin-Christoph Model 45 (Fine Cursive Italic)
    Franklin-Christoph broad steel nibs with grinds compared
    This is good to know.

After reading-up a bit, it sounded like the SIG that I wanted, so that's what I ordered, initially. I've now ordered a Masuyama CI, in a medium, and also one of their 1.1 Cursive Calligraphy nibs. It'll be interesting to try them all out.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,155 Posts

I've now ordered a Masuyama CI, in a medium, and also one of their 1.1 Cursive Calligraphy nibs. It'll be interesting to try them all out.
    I hope they work out for you.

Thanks

Cool Re: Franklin-Christoph SIG & Masuyama CI nibs...

the line is not as clean and distinct as I'd like. The edges are a bit ragged
    could just be feathering, what paper/ink combination are you using?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Pretty unlikely -- using Rhodia paper, and none of my other quality pens feather on that paper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Pretty unlikely -- using Rhodia paper, and none of my other quality pens feather on that paper.
    ok, maybe just needs running in?