Thread: Why does my Pelikan OM nib skip on my sidewalk or some more images...

Thanks

Default Why does my Pelikan OM nib skip on my sidewalk or some more images...

Hope you enjoy these...

Mark Polis MD
    "A flourishing style of chirography is nowhere less in place than on a physician's prescription."___1856, Edward Parrish, An Introduction to Practical Pharmacy

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JazzDoc For This Useful Post:

drgoretex (June 4th, 2013), fountainpenkid (June 2nd, 2013), KrazyIvan (June 2nd, 2013), Marsilius (June 1st, 2013), OakIris (June 1st, 2013), reprieve (June 1st, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Why does my Pelikan OM nib skip on my sidewalk or some more images...

I think the bird photos are my favorites. Birds are such fleeting subjects! (pun intended)

How did you capture the hummingbird?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heliotrope For This Useful Post:

JazzDoc (June 1st, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Why does my Pelikan OM nib skip on my sidewalk or some more images...

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    I think the bird photos are my favorites. Birds are such fleeting subjects! (pun intended)

How did you capture the hummingbird?

Thanks, Heliotrope. I, too, love bird photography. This hummer was investigating a red hibiscus flower and I was out near there with a long lens waiting for these ruby-throated little characters to hover for an instant or two. I shot this at wide aperture for the shallow depth of field.

Thanks

So whose Pelikan is skipping? The owl's?

These are really great pictures, Mark. Like the owl very much and there is something intriguing about the ducks. You obviously had the best of light there, but is it just the depth of field or did you do some editing trick because something really makes them light up.

Could I ask you what gear you are using? I'm planning to finally get a decent digital camera myself.

Cheers,
    Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peterpen53 For This Useful Post:

JazzDoc (June 1st, 2013)

Thanks

Fantastic images. It´s sooo good to see them. Please keep posting

My favorite is the second one. The smile transmits kindness, wisdom and serenitude that arrives with age....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

JazzDoc (June 1st, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterpen53 View Post
    So whose Pelikan is skipping? The owl's?

These are really great pictures, Mark. Like the owl very much and there is something intriguing about the ducks. You obviously had the best of light there, but is it just the depth of field or did you do some editing trick because something really makes them light up.

Could I ask you what gear you are using? I'm planning to finally get a decent digital camera myself.

Cheers,
    Peter
    Thanks for the comments, Peter. With regard to the duck shot, there was tremendous reflectivity underscoring the sheen of the mallard's feathers due to the ice and the sun's angle. Then, in post-processing, I boosted the tonal contrast a tad, especially in the highlights, to augment that effect.

As to my gear, I use either a Leica M9, a Canon 1DsIII (full frame) or a Canon EOS 7D.
    For the Leica I have 21, 35, 50, 75 qnd 90mm lenses. For the Canons, I cover the whole gamut from fisheye to ultra-wide and supertelephoto, including macro lenses with greater than 1:1 magn.
    Photoshop CS6 is my editing program, and I do use a variety of Photoshop plug-ins during post-processing.

My favorite subjects are nature, landscape and macrophotography. I do like B&W photography, especially street shooting with the Leica. But everything's fair game to me.

Quote Originally Posted by piscov View Post
    Fantastic images. It´s sooo good to see them. Please keep posting

My favorite is the second one. The smile transmits kindness, wisdom and serenitude that arrives with age....
    Thanks, piscov! I took that one in the Masai Mara of eastern Kenya. That was an unforgettable face she had - loaded with character and the wisdom of advanced age, yet still offering hope and a certain innocence. The Masai are a wonderful people.
    Mark Polis MD
    "A flourishing style of chirography is nowhere less in place than on a physician's prescription."___1856, Edward Parrish, An Introduction to Practical Pharmacy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JazzDoc For This Useful Post:

peterpen53 (June 1st, 2013)

Thanks

Wow, another group of wonderful photos. Those macro photos of the insects are incredible!

Thank you once again, Mark, for improving my day!

Holly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OakIris For This Useful Post:

JazzDoc (June 1st, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
    Wow, another group of wonderful photos. Those macro photos of the insects are incredible!

Thank you once again, Mark, for improving my day!

Holly
    Thanks, Holly! So glad you enjoy seeing them.
    Mark Polis MD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I love the duck picture because it anthropomorphizes them, as if they were pedestrians walking in NYC. Great, great shots!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

JazzDoc (June 2nd, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I love the duck picture because it anthropomorphizes them, as if they were pedestrians walking in NYC. Great, great shots!
    Thanks a million, Will!
    Mark Polis MD

Thanks

I'd have to second the above. All of those pics are truly beautiful in very different ways. But that pic of the mallards walking is beautiful, funny, endearing, and serene all at the same time.

Please keep sharing - these are wonderful!

Ken

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drgoretex For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 6th, 2013), JazzDoc (June 5th, 2013)

Thanks

That macro work is phenomenal. This is just with macro lenses and no bellows or lens reversal?
    No.6: “I am not a number, I am a person.”
    New No.2: “Six of one, half a dozen of another.”

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 6of1 For This Useful Post:

JazzDoc (June 20th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    That macro work is phenomenal. This is just with macro lenses and no bellows or lens reversal?
    Thanks 6of1,
    The macros are done with Canon's MP65mm 1-5x macro lens all stretched out and a diffused double macro flash rig (all hand held - these critters don't stand still while you adjust your tripod).
    Mark Polis MD