Thread: Is it possible to have an English / British pen sub-forum?

Thanks

Default Is it possible to have an English / British pen sub-forum?

I don't remember if there is a structual / administrative reason that FPG is limited to the current sub-forums. If not, there should be a sub-forum for "English" or British pens. (Calling it "English" because Parker Newhaven stamped its pens as "Made in England").

We have plenty of members from the UK, including several, such as Deb, who restore pens. There seems to be a lot of knowledge. Any reason? (Other than that we don't control the forum)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

ilikenails (April 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Is it possible to have an English / British pen sub-forum?

It would come in useful for letting other UK members know when a bargain pops up - eg Amazon are selling 10 packs of Clairfontaine A5 notebooks at 40% off. Obviously it would also be good for discussing where to buy things in the UK, for example this is the best place in the UK to go for ink samples (afaik) -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/stationer...p2047675.l2559

...They're offering samples of around seven hundred inks right now!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    I don't remember if there is a structual / administrative reason that FPG is limited to the current sub-forums. If not, there should be a sub-forum for "English" or British pens. (Calling it "English" because Parker Newhaven stamped its pens as "Made in England").

We have plenty of members from the UK, including several, such as Deb, who restore pens. There seems to be a lot of knowledge. Any reason? (Other than that we don't control the forum)
    I might have to think about it some more, but, personally, I enjoy the input of British members such as Deb and Chrissie right here in the Pens in General forum. I think any heads up about sales, or bargains in the UK can be easily covered in this forum. Another sub forum, if one chooses to subscribe to it, just means more alerts and email clutter and more time spent searching for information. Not to mention taking up time that could be well wasted on other Internet forums. I could be convinced otherwise, though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post

I might have to think about it some more, but, personally, I enjoy the input of British members such as Deb and Chrissie right here in the Pens in General forum. I think any heads up about sales, or bargains in the UK can be easily covered in this forum.
    Any UK specific issue could be posted here, but you could say the same about eg any brand of pen. Subforums are used in general because if you mix everything together then minority interest posts will be so diluted they'll be missed by the people interested in them. At the moment UK posters simply don't post any UK related stuff because there is absolutely no point - those post would be missed.

Otoh, no, because a UK forum exists for UK specific interests, people from the UK won't start making general posts there instead of here. Why would they???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post

I might have to think about it some more, but, personally, I enjoy the input of British members such as Deb and Chrissie right here in the Pens in General forum. I think any heads up about sales, or bargains in the UK can be easily covered in this forum.
    Any UK specific issue could be posted here, but you could say the same about eg any brand of pen. Subforums are used in general because if you mix everything together then minority interest posts will be so diluted they'll be missed by the people interested in them. At the moment UK posters simply don't post any UK related stuff because there is absolutely no point - those post would be missed.

Otoh, no, because a UK forum exists for UK specific interests, people from the UK won't start making general posts there instead of here. Why would they???
    Good points. As I said, I could be convinced, and a UK specific sub-forum is one I would be interested in and to which I would probably subscribe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Note For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (April 18th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

I don't think it's possible. Only one person controls this website, which is Eric ( The Head bartender and Chief bottlewasher ). He's pretty much taken a hands-off attitude, other than generously paying the fees to keep this site up and running and occasionally deleting the spammer that gets through the screener.

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; April 17th, 2020 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 17th, 2020), welch (April 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Workaround? Maybe you could "mark" topics about English Pens here as an ongoing post, or with a heading like "English Pens: [insert subtitle here].
    Fortibus es in ero

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (April 18th, 2020), welch (April 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Workaround? Maybe you could "mark" topics about English Pens here as an ongoing post, or with a heading like "English Pens: [insert subtitle here].
    My thought was a sub-form about British pen companies. Maybe mark the topics as Marsilius suggests, or start a thread for each of the three or four most famous British pens: Onoto, Mabie-Todd, Conway Stewart, Blackburn?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (April 18th, 2020), sgphoto (April 18th, 2020)

Thanks

My thought was a sub-form about British pen companies. Maybe mark the topics as Marsilius suggests, or start a thread for each of the three or four most famous British pens: Onoto, Mabie-Todd, Conway Stewart, Blackburn?
    One of my favorite pens is my 1938 Swan Leverless, bought for cheap with some old teeth marks, but writes wonderfully. I would be a reader on that sub-forum.
    Fortibus es in ero

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

welch (April 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Never heard of Blackburn pens. Did you mean Blackbird, perhaps? Made by Mabie-Todd?
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)