Thread: Pilot nib units: cross-over fit?

Thanks

Default Pilot nib units: cross-over fit?

Since I can't seem to find the definitive answer anywhere else, I'll ask it here...

It's a weird issue: I really like the Pilot "CM" nib, but dislike the two Pilot pens to which that pens comes, attached: the Metropolitan and the Prera. Both are *okay* pens, but the size and shape are not comfortable for me.

Are there other pen bodies that will accept that particular nib unit? Or am I stuck?

I've been relatively enthusiastic about Pilot, in the past, but am growing less so based on the fact that all their components are proprietary and won'd make the cross-over to other pens -- or so it seems to me.

I would be willing to experiment with any combo wherein I am using the Pilot nib and feed. I don't want to get into trying to match the bare nib with a separate feed, however.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

Default Re: Pilot nib units: cross-over fit?

There are other Pilot pen bodies that will accept Prera sized nibs. In my experience they are the same size as the steel nibs fitted into the Pilot Plumix and probably the Penmanship.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 4,806 Times in 1,156 Posts

The Pilot 78G or 78G+ and Pilot Kakuno would also be compatible. The B and BB nibs on the 78G are untipped stubs, with the B comparable in width to a Lamy 1.1 but crisper. Haven't tried the BB.
    Last edited by catbert; June 19th, 2019 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,806 Times in 1,156 Posts

Also worth noting that a number of Chinese pens are compatible with Pilot-style steel nibs, including the Hero 659, Wing Sung 3001, Wing Sung 698 (a piston-filler) and this as yet unnamed Wing Sung piston-filler.