Thread: When the ink level in a bottle is too low to fill a 149. . .

Thanks

Default When the ink level in a bottle is too low to fill a 149. . .

What should we do when the level of ink in a bottle is just too low to fill a large fountain pen, such as a 149? Once in desperation, after buying a nice, old and very well used 149 in an antiques shop in a city far from home, I sat in the hotel room that night and squeezed blue Sheaffer Skrip from a cartridge onto the feed of the 149 and wrote a few lines with it. I was eager to write more without the hassle of squeezing the cartridge every few lines. So, I turned the 149's piston knob to the empty position. Squeezed a drop or two into the recessed space around the collar, and then turned the piston. Presto! The seal was strong enough to draw ink. Did this a few more times and was able to write the rest of the evening. Many times since then, I have used the dregs of an ink bottle, but find using a syringe much easier. If the piston won't draw ink with the first drop, run water over the feed and allow it to fill the recessed space around the seal. Then draw that water in. Capillary attraction should then work. This morning, I put the very last of some Pelikan Royal Blue into late 1970s- early 80s 149. Photos are turned & don't know how to rotate them. Right comfortable here on the ceiling though. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 20th, 2019), BlkWhiteFilmPix (June 20th, 2019), carlos.q (June 20th, 2019), Jon Szanto (June 20th, 2019), ljmudit (May 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Default Re: When the ink level in a bottle is too low to fill a 149. . .

Brilliant. I was about to suggest sending the pen to me, as I have some full bottles...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Barry, you could keep a Snorkel handy for those times the 149 just cannot handle the chore.

Thanks

Good idea, Fred. One of your favorite models. Thanks.