Thread: Nakaya Dorsal Fin 1 or 2; Which for You?

Thanks

Default Nakaya Dorsal Fin 1 or 2; Which for You?

A friend knows I have a number of Nakaya Dorsal Fins, both the Dorsal Fin 1 and the Dorsal Fin 2. She was asking about the differences. I took some pictures to show her and thought I might as well post them here since these pens are not often seen at shows, dealers, or “in the wild”.

Following are two pairs of similar finish Dorsal Fin 1’s and 2’s with the 1’s on the left or the top in each pair. One pair is the always popular Heki Tamenuri while the other is two pens in my personal favorite, the Ishime Kanshitsu (stone) finish. The DF1 in this pair is Aka Tamenuri while the DF 2 is a close but not exact match Kuro Tamenuri.

When I was limited to viewing in pictures, I had generally preferred the Dorsal Fin 1. Why? I’m not sure. Maybe because the DF1 invokes visions of a shark. While a shark is a terrifying creature to be sure, it is also amazingly graceful and powerful in the water. Maybe the (long long ago) competitive swimmer in me admired that!

But now that I have both in hand to compare, how do I find them?

I think I still have a slight preference for the appearance of the DF1

The DF2 feels just a bit more comfortable in my hand. I have been trying to determine exactly why this is. Both pens are close to identical in size, with basically identical section lengths and diameter. I think the main reason is that the DF2 seems to have a very slightly more tapered shape. With the particular grip I use, the DF1 “feels” slightly wider both where my thumb rests alongside the barrel and where the lower end of the barrel rests in the web of my thumb and forefinger. I’m having difficulty measuring any precise difference with calipers, and in any case one has to allow for slight variations in what are hand made pens.

The very slight edge in comfort of the DF2 is offset by the fact that Nakaya uses multiple starting points on their threads. This means when you reinstall the cap only one starting orientation will result in the two fins aligning properly. I have a habit of writing a little bit at a time: remove cap, write a little, reinstall cap, repeat. This presents an inconvenience for me with the DF2. It is certainly not insoluble, but is a minor irritant.

So which do I prefer? I’m still trying to decide. I guess I just consider myself lucky to have both.

How about you? Do you have a strong preference?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

amk (June 20th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: Nakaya Dorsal Fin 1 or 2; Which for You?

I have never seen comparisons of these side by side, so thank you! These are great. I like the look of DF2 much more than DF1–the bulbous cap on the DF1 always seemed weird to me.

It's strange that Nakaya would use two starting points for the threads with this model.

Thanks

I prefer the DF 2 because of the symmetry and the resemblance to a katana (Japanese sword) - I watch anime with my kid, so I have a lot of katanas in my life! But they are both so beautiful.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by empliau View Post
    I prefer the DF 2 because of the symmetry and the resemblance to a katana (Japanese sword) - I watch anime with my kid, so I have a lot of katanas in my life! But they are both so beautiful.
    Interesting, I prefer DF 1 but for the same reason as yours. To me the asymmetry makes it look like a Tanto (smaller blade) in its 'saya' (sheath).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Fascinating, penwash. Now all we need is the Nakaya kunai (knife).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to empliau For This Useful Post:

penwash (June 20th, 2019)