Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pen Storage (BIG and cheap)

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Storage (BIG and cheap)

Quote Originally Posted by sloegin View Post
    Anybody have a place that they can be bought? My Chinese is non-existent and online translators are only so much help.
    Hi Jeremy,

That's why this offering is a bit of a gift. Took me a looong time to track this sort o' cabinet on ebay starting from scratch. Here's the link to the seller's store. The 10-tray case is the one discussed. There are other variants offered, perhaps of interest to those who wish to store fewer pens but who also would like to store ink, etc, in the same cabinet.

Enjoy...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/pro_models_8...p2047675.l2562

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

79spitfire (June 25th, 2013), earthdawn (June 25th, 2013), Heliotrope (June 26th, 2013), Nomdeplume (June 25th, 2013), reicel (July 27th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    Hi Jeremy,

That's why this offering is a bit of a gift. Took me a looong time to track this sort o' cabinet on ebay starting from scratch. Here's the link to the seller's store. The 10-tray case is the one discussed. There are other variants offered, perhaps of interest to those who wish to store fewer pens but who also would like to store ink, etc, in the same cabinet.

Enjoy...

regards

david
    Hi David,

I see the appeal, so thank you for sharing. In digging around on the Chinese site they can be had for $10 for a single unit without shipping or a bulk discount. What do they weigh?...to find a box and calculate shiping them domestically, as it might be worth ordering a gaylord of them.

I'm still awaiting the other pen case

Best,
    Jeremy

Thanks

Hi Jeremy,

Enjoy...

regards

david
    Hi David,

I see the appeal, so thank you for sharing. In digging around on the Chinese site they can be had for $10 for a single unit without shipping or a bulk discount. What do they weigh?...to find a box and calculate shiping them domestically, as it might be worth ordering a gaylord of them.

Best,
    Jeremy
    Crap. I forgot the travel case... again. I shall endeavor to ship by Thursday latest.

I can toss a ten-drawer case on postal scale. Doubt weighs more than 5-6 pounds. But... it is bulky

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

Hi Jeremy,

Enjoy...

regards

david
    Hi David,

Best,
    Jeremy
    Crap. I forgot the travel case... again. I shall endeavor to ship by Thursday latest.

I can toss a ten-drawer case on postal scale. Doubt weighs more than 5-6 pounds. But... it is bulky

regards

david
    Shall I remind you tomorrow?

@5lbs, in a 13x16x12 first class mail is $12. Now to find a properly sized box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thagbert View Post
    Pictures as promised.
    Attachment 3459Attachment 3460

Just noticed a partial selfie in the mirror!
    Also noticed I haven't put the six bottles of Noodler's in there.

This box is awesome for the price I paid. Admittedly it's not quarter sawn oak, but that would have cost exponentially more. I am very satisfied.

Plenty of room to grow. I can't see myself outgrowing this box anytime soon. If I filled all of the drawers with a single layer, that would be 118 pens. I could double stack the top compartment if things really got ridiculous.

Also for those thinking about ordering one, here is a Harbor Freight coupon code for 25% off one item. Enter code at online check-out. The code is supposed to be good until the end of July. Code: 65002072

Thanks tandiana for the awesome tip!
    Since these photos were made, I am using one of the smaller drawers for my currently inked pens. It holds twelve pens very nicely!
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thagbert For This Useful Post:

Heliotrope (June 26th, 2013), Nomdeplume (June 26th, 2013), Tracy Lee (June 27th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

We have some blue print cabinets at work and looking at them got me wondering how many pens I could fit in one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-files-f...item4d0af7cb3d

Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Heliotrope (July 1st, 2013), Tracy Lee (July 1st, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

That would be cool. I like it made into a coffee table, you could fit a LOT of pens in that...
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    We have some blue print cabinets at work and looking at them got me wondering how many pens I could fit in one of these:
    Oh wow, a lot but can you also imagine the awesome amount of stationery and paper storage? That would be a multi-tasker in the best way possible!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (July 2nd, 2013)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

My box finally arrived from Harbor Freight today. (They packed and shipped my order quickly (great service!), but FedEx was slooooow.) It arrived safely and is quite handsome. All of the the drawers fit well and the hinges seem solid. My only complaint is that the locks appear to be a little flimsy (as in potentially breaking under normal non-abusive use). The top lock especially is prone to spinning round loosely a few times before the key catches. Nevertheless, the price for this cabinet is outstanding, especially with the coupon code posted above, and I am very happy with it. I'm still working on getting things organized. It's becoming clearer that I have too many pens--I didn't realize how many were hiding in Penvelopes and cigar boxes!

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

After getting everything more or less sorted, here are some quick photos of my Harbor Freight wooden chest turned pen case.

Closed:

The bottom large drawer filled with (mostly) modern Pelikan, Aurora, and Onoto:

A few drawers open:

I decided to hold off on putting pen trays in the top compartment, which is currently housing a 12-pen case (formerly a cigar box) along with some spare parts. I used 5 of the GoPens trays to outfit the eight drawers, but a little bit was wasted when I mistakenly mis-cut part of one; if not for that mishap, I could have gotten away with using 4 GoPens trays. While this case doesn't completely solve my storage issues, I am really enjoying its aesthetics.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (November 7th, 2013), cwent2 (July 6th, 2013), Goldfish (December 1st, 2013), Heliotrope (July 6th, 2013), Mesu (December 2nd, 2013), reicel (July 27th, 2013), tandaina (November 6th, 2013), thagbert (July 6th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    After getting everything more or less sorted, here are some quick photos of my Harbor Freight wooden chest turned pen case.

I decided to hold off on putting pen trays in the top compartment, which is currently housing a 12-pen case (formerly a cigar box) along with some spare parts. I used 5 of the GoPens trays to outfit the eight drawers, but a little bit was wasted when I mistakenly mis-cut part of one; if not for that mishap, I could have gotten away with using 4 GoPens trays. While this case doesn't completely solve my storage issues, I am really enjoying its aesthetics.
    Thanks for the pix!

Were I to have the number of pens you do, I would would double stack the top compartment with some trays. I would build a tray that would inset into the top area. You could fit fifty-two pens in there.
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

Thanks

So after a long time umming and aaahhing I finally decided to buy a box. Being from the UK a Harbour Freights box wasn't particularly feasible and after looking for many months at the boxes on chronos and warco I decided to look on eBay as well. There is where I found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-US-Pro-...item5d45a3d608

It is slightly bigger than the chronos box and is obviously darker varnish with a couple more draws (the middle one I am struggling with finding a use for) . I decided to bite the bullet a few days ago and make a bid and I won! It has arrived today and I have spent the last couple of hours having a great time sorting it out and enjoying the aesthetics of it all together in one place. I just need to buy some trays from gopens and I need to christen it with a brand spanking new pen.

Last edited by Mod_wolves; November 6th, 2013 at 02:55 PM.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mod_wolves For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (November 7th, 2013), cwent2 (November 6th, 2013), Goldfish (December 1st, 2013), KrazyIvan (November 6th, 2013), Mesu (December 2nd, 2013), subramaniyam (November 9th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

That is lovely!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Wow that is a gorgeous pen case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Hi,
    A very good idea to be sure. Where do you get the pen trays? Do you think most locations have them in stock. or are they online only?
    Jim

Thanks

Just ordered the box from Harbor Freight with 25% off coupon found online. Getting the trays, too. It's going to be a fun little project! Thanks to tandaina and all for the information.
    Last edited by Goldfish; December 2nd, 2013 at 07:42 AM.

Thanks

Very nice boxes.. Thanks for sharing.

I have been looking for a for a similar one in India.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfish View Post
    Just ordered the box from Harbor Freight with 25% off coupon found online. Getting the trays, too. It's going to be a fun little project! Thanks to tandaina and all for the information.
    You can get the trays from gopens.

https://www.gopens.com/Vintage_Pen_P...12X16Trays.php

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod_wolves For This Useful Post:

Goldfish (December 2nd, 2013)

Thanks

Thanks Mod_wolves, I ordered them! Maybe this or next weekend's project!!

Thanks

I noticed a couple of very nice, "attache" style cases on the harbor freight site that would work very nicely for pens. Just put in some foam and trim to needs for pens, inks etc. 11x7x4 and 18x12.75x6 as well as a 18x13x6. I will have to check them out in person.....
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain