Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Pen Storage (BIG and cheap)

Thanks

Default Pen Storage (BIG and cheap)

I was just reading yesterday's paper, and found a $59.99 coupon for the Harbour Freight tool chest on the back of USA Weekend. Tried to find it online but I couldn't. It's redeemable till April 29th, 2014 in store, online, or by telephone order.
    Last edited by Goldfish; December 30th, 2013 at 10:18 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Goldfish For This Useful Post:

butchhe (December 30th, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Storage (BIG and cheap)

Second try for the picture of my pen chest...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388421851.417801.jpg

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goldfish For This Useful Post:

jodylud (May 3rd, 2016), kaisnowbird (December 31st, 2013), reprieve (December 30th, 2013)

Thanks

Goldfish, thank you. Tomorrow I'll place my order!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Capn For This Useful Post:

Goldfish (January 10th, 2014)

Thanks

Just in case there is anyone who hasn't figured it out, that Harbor Freight price is ridiculously cheap for what you get. I realize the build quality is nowhere near the level of an old Gerstner (and neither is the 'new' Gerstner), but for this low impact use, what a deal! The only drawback, if you are an aesthete, and really appreciate the woods, joinery, details and multiple configurations of the old Gerstner Machinist's tool chests, you may want to take a deep breath and pony up the exponential dollars involved. I am fortunate enough to have several of the old Gerstner chests, in quarter sawn white oak and in walnut, and they are superb. One was my grandfathers (and I am 73!), a little careworn around the edges, but priceless to me. Someone mentioned the variant with a narrow deep drawer for a Machinists Handbook, and if you look at the photos of Mod_wolves chest (don't know maker), you will see such a drawer, in the middle. That is normally a fully sealed metal tray design, and that is the answer for your tall ink bottles, the ones which won't fit under the lid. Someone else posted a link to Garrett Wade, and a current version of chest and base, by Gerstner International. These are made in China, of plain-sawn red oak, not the same quality as the old made in USA white oak or walnut chests, but OK, if still a lot pricier than the Harbor freight knock-off.
    Green felt was always applied to the drawers of the old ones, usually over sheet steel drawer bottoms. The International chests have wooden drawer bottoms, not as strong, but maybe better in this context. I have a large chest sitting on a large base, serving as a side table next to an easy chair in my living room. And that is the one where my pens are headed. I tried the display case/cigar box route inside my stand-up desk, but it is a pain lifting the top to get in and out so often, I need a third or fourth hand. And sometimes it will be nice to simply open a drawer and gaze fondly.
    Incidentally, the mirror was a safety feature, it was all to easy in the bad old days to get a metal splinter or shaving/particle in your eye if you were working at a lathe, milling machine, or multi-head drill press, and you needed to get right after it. Working conditions were often dark, goggles could get in your way, and OSHA was nowhere in sight.
    Finally, I hope the original poster has gotten over her initial adverse reaction to the aesthetics of the chest and its hardware, and has left it alone, accepting it for what it is, a machinist's tool chest transformed into an alternate use. it is an honest, functional design, quintessentially American, and should be respected.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ed333 For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (January 8th, 2014), Goldfish (January 10th, 2014), Jon Szanto (January 13th, 2014), KrazyIvan (January 8th, 2014), Mod_wolves (January 9th, 2014)

Thanks

Another thought, I also have a Gerstner International Rolling Chest, in red oak, see
    http://www.garrettwade.com/gerstner-...st/p/96M01.06/
    which would certainly have room for pens, paper supplies, tallest ink bottles, and provide a writing surface as well. Maybe a bit over the top for pens, but I have to admit that I have found mine useful. Mine arrived with some shipping damage to some edge grain wood, Garrett Wade made a very nice accommodation when I informed them, I wound up owning it for not too much. Mine has been invaluable for providing a moveable, handy storage and work unit for my luther's tools and supplies (mandolin making), which I can station right next to the workbench in the family room. When finished, I just unlock the wheels and move it back into its station against the wall and next to the bench, where it does not offend the eye of my spouse. The support arm for the hinged folding shelf on the right also doubles as a locking bar, which makes all the drawers secure when in place and locked. this is handy for when curious grandchildren and other people with inquiring minds come to visit.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

This is quite nice...and a deal. But I just cannot picture having that many pens....feels like I'll top out at 15-20. This has inspired me to consider switching from a pen cup, though (!)
    Last edited by VertOlive; January 13th, 2014 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks

Found this heavy locking metal case for $10, I think it was used to store report cards or some kind of paper records. I gutted the wire that held the paper and low and behold the Pendora slotters fit perfectly. The trays are removable and you can't pull them out all the way or they will flop down. I still have to find a key for the slide out door but that's low priority.

Did I mention it weighs about 20 lbs and now has space for 154 pens.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gweddig For This Useful Post:

KKay (May 2nd, 2016), Tracy Lee (September 14th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Wow. Impressive. Thanks for posting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gweddig View Post
    Found this heavy locking metal case for $10, I think it was used to store report cards or some kind of paper records. I gutted the wire that held the paper and low and behold the Pendora slotters fit perfectly. The trays are removable and you can't pull them out all the way or they will flop down. I still have to find a key for the slide out door but that's low priority.

Did I mention it weighs about 20 lbs and now has space for 154 pens.

Huge!!!! Wow.

Thanks

Help!
    In the move from Colorado to California the main key for my Harbor Freight converted toolbox, is MISSING!
    Harbor Freight does NOT have any keys...either need a really good thief or an expensive locksmith!?
    FPGeeks= Nomdeplume
    FPN= mbankirer
    PenTrace= mb

Happy Writing!

Thanks

I'd get a locksmith. They used to open cars for 25 bucks. I don't know what the going rate is now though.

That is sweet. I really like that Acme cabinet!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nomdeplume View Post
    Help!
    In the move from Colorado to California the main key for my Harbor Freight converted toolbox, is MISSING!
    Harbor Freight does NOT have any keys...either need a really good thief or an expensive locksmith!?
    Have you solved this problem yet?

If you have not, have you tried all the keys anyone you know has which sort of remind you of what the key looked like?

Some locks are pretty much all the same. The key is more to keep the very casually interested out, or to keep the thing from falling open. Others are moderately secure and vary from article to article. If you are near a Harbor freight, could you bring your case in and see if they have a floor model with key whose key could be tried in yours? If it works, then you could take a picture of the key and at least know what you are looking for.

On the other hand, you can probably get a lock-pick set cheap off ebay and it might be the opening for a whole new career for you... ;-)

Thanks

I was wondering if the original poster (or any of the other people who bought the Harbor Freight toolboxes) would mind sharing if they are still happy with their purchase?

I'm debating buying one of these for my pen, ink, pencils, and random small items, and would appreciate the input. I currently have one of these toolboxes in my garage, and have been rather happy with it. I also found that the center drawer fits 3oz Noodler's bottles, which the HF one apparently doesn't.

I'd definitely appreciate the long-term feedback/review of those toolboxes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin_Ute View Post
    I have one of these: http://www.shopnbc.com/Invicta_Three...20dive%20boxes

and one of these:
    http://www.shopnbc.com/Invicta_Eight...20dive%20boxes

for some of my watches. They could easily be configured to handle pens and inks.

A bit oversized for my current needs, but that Harbor Freight box is real nice...
    I know it's an old thread, but when I saw the brand invicta I remembered a few years ago they started their own line of fountain pens (but doesn't seem to have continued). Anybody ever bought an Invicta Russian Diver fountain pen or another one from them? Curious about people's experience of them

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Resurrection - and well worth it. While I was in Dallas last week, I found this thread. I read Tandaine’s post and knew I would have this ASAP. Picked it up today. Next stop is Go Pens for the pen/pencil holders. I had to go to 4 different stash places and now everything is ‘home’ under one roof now. One of my best buys I have made. I usually will not buy anything at retail price but I was smiling all the way home and not minding I paid the $80.00. I’m a happy camper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    0.5mm vs 0.7mm graphite sizes is much like 9mm vs 45acp...they both work if you know what you are doing. - me

Looking for Caran d'Ache Type 55 2mm set and Rotation .7 pencils.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rapidray For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 23rd, 2018), Lady Onogaro (August 24th, 2018), penwash (August 23rd, 2018)

Thanks

Another photo...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    0.5mm vs 0.7mm graphite sizes is much like 9mm vs 45acp...they both work if you know what you are doing. - me

Looking for Caran d'Ache Type 55 2mm set and Rotation .7 pencils.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rapidray For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 24th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (August 24th, 2018)