Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multicoloured Correspondence

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Default Re: Multicoloured Correspondence

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post

You can also write your letter in 15th Century format, starting with a flowery salutation, followed by a benediction on the recipient's household, and, following that, a curse upon his enemies. Such a letter usually ends with an oath of friendship.
    Oh, that sounds glorious, especially the curse on their enemies. Can you refer me to more information about or examples of this sort of letter-writing?
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Default Re: Multicoloured Correspondence

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post

You can also write your letter in 15th Century format, starting with a flowery salutation, followed by a benediction on the recipient's household, and, following that, a curse upon his enemies. Such a letter usually ends with an oath of friendship.
    Oh, that sounds glorious, especially the curse on their enemies. Can you refer me to more information about or examples of this sort of letter-writing?
    Try the introductory apologies to the reader in the book The Noble Deeds and Sayings of Gargantua and Pantagruel by Francois Rabelais. Or, hell, I could just write you one. Most people find the format unfamiliar enough to be off-putting. If you write a letter in that format and use archaic English, it just weirds them out. These are the people who will go into a Korean restaurant and order hamburgers.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-