Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apathy Sunset

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Apathy Sunset

Another point occurred to me after reading some more of the responses...

We're noting two trends in the answers - a lot of activity on 'newer' platforms that appeal to a younger base, and a number of people who have been at this for a while mentioning that they have pretty much found what they are looking for and aren't jumping at the 'new' any more. This all makes a lot of sense, because when I started 10 years ago, I was really interested in finding certain colors and properties I liked, and ordered lots of samples and gradually dialed in those inks. The ones that eventually rose to the top and subsequently found a regular use in my rotation have stayed (and the others never picked up). Even with this, I ended up with a lot of inks - yet the inks I use 90% of the time constitute probably 5% or less of my ink collection.

I can't think of a better reason to not buy more inks. OTOH, if I were a person new to the 'hobby' (or whatever term you like), I'd be hopping on all the current trends and looking for those that amazed or amused me the most. I bet even the current n00bs will eventually slow down. At some point, looking at a bunch of inks (or pens) that you never use can cause a light bulb to glow.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (July 9th, 2019), catbert (July 8th, 2019), Chrissy (July 9th, 2019), dfo (July 14th, 2019), Gobblecup (July 13th, 2019), mhosea (July 9th, 2019), pajaro (August 6th, 2019), silverlifter (July 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Inks evaporate (very slowly) over time. They also take up more space and are heavier. Maybe the people of these forums just found the limit of how much they want to have.

I have the 24 iroshizuku, pilot black, sailor oku yama, sailor kiwa guro and noodlers heart of darkness.

I kinda spoiled myself early on the iroshizukus. I never even opened pilot black, but it's in a 350ml bottle I'll dump into the take sumi bottle when I finish it. I don't like the smell of the sailor inks. Heart of Darkness is nice, I'd like to give it more of a try but I've only put it in less expensive pens so far. I can't really fill from it's eyedropper bottle, especially since I decanted 2/3rds of it to give to a friend.

Inks were more alluring to me when I first started, but now the rotation between my inks is something like 2 years, particularly because I have favourites I use more often. tsutsuji, shinkai, take sumi, kiri same. The other inks just remind me I like these one's better.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I have slowed to a crawl in my ink acquisitions. I've been let down many more times than I've been thrilled after hunting down the latest, much touted ink and having spent good pen money on it. I just stopped. That said, I'm still interested in versions of greens, my favorite color. If I see a shade between Burma Road and Stipula Musk, I'd probably buy it unless it was ridiculously pricey.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 9th, 2019), dfo (July 14th, 2019), Jon Szanto (July 8th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (July 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    If I see a shade between Burma Road and Stipula Musk...
    Hehe... I think you are only the 2nd person I've known to mention that color. I don't use it often, but there is nothing else quite like it. And your description of ink purchasing mirrors my experience, too.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (July 16th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

The other side is, if part of your hobby includes testing all the inks, then you get at least samples of a great many inks! Even I don't get them all though - I still have plenty of standard colours to test so I don't go after all the limited editions, just the ones that really catch my eye.

Hmm, Stipula Musk looks to be in my wheelhouse...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 9th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (July 9th, 2019), VertOlive (August 6th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Too new to speak to trends, I can say my interest in adding more ink bottles has waned mostly because i don't want a ton of ink sitting around unused.

After a year, my desk and shelves are overflowing with over a dozen bottles and twice that in samples, Mystery Inks not counted.

I am finally realizing I need to put on the brakes, give away some ink and use up the remaining samples before I try anything else.

I still enjoy trying different inks. But for daily use there aren't many gaps left to fill.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post
    I just have too many sitting on the shelf to keep up with, so I have resisted the temptation to buy more. When I was buying heavily, it was as much for the aesthetics of the bottle as it was for the contents. I managed to acquire a nice selection of Edelsteins, Iroshizukus, Graf von Faber-Castells, Diamines, Sailors and Namikis, all with lovely bottles, along with the usual suspects such as Waterman, Private Reserve, Lamy, Noodler's, Pelikan, Sheaffer, etc. Sometimes one just has to hold the line.
    That was kinda me for a while. Bought for the bottles, the makers (and YES, I have Stipula Musk Green), some lines from a pen pal letter. Then I discovered Monteverde, fell in love, only to be cruelly betrayed by the brand.

On an ink embargo now.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (August 6th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dfo View Post
    The apathy is real. I found the inks I like, so I stopped trying new ones.
    Same.
    --
    Mike

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

dfo (July 10th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Hmmm. I wonder what an ink called "Apathy Sunset" would look like?

mauve?
    sepia?
    yawnyellow?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

This thread makes me want to blow the dust off my bottle of Apache Sunset.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Invisible

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (July 10th, 2019), TSherbs (July 10th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Who cares?

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (July 10th, 2019), azkid (July 10th, 2019), Deb (July 13th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (July 10th, 2019), Scrawler (July 13th, 2019), TSherbs (July 10th, 2019)

Thanks

My problem is that i found my favorite inks a couple decades ago (Skrip Burgundy/MBBB), then they stopped making them. I found substitutes, then those changed or were discontinued. I have way more than i need, so these days i'm just trying to use what i have.

Thanks

Well. we did have some new inks on the market. We got inks designed to shade, and a whole range of shimmery inks with particles in them - as well as some new ink manufacturers.

Now everyone has tried the new stuff. decided whether they like it or not - and so the enthusiasm has died down. The people who want shimmer as shimmering, those who don't have moved on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

That was kinda me for a while. Bought for the bottles, the makers (and YES, I have Stipula Musk Green), some lines from a pen pal letter. Then I discovered Monteverde, fell in love, only to be cruelly betrayed by the brand.

On an ink embargo now.
    What did Monteverde do to you? I am wondering because I just started buying them and using them this summer and now I am weary of betrayal!

As to the rest of this topic, things come in waves, on different platforms, in different demographics. I have been on quite a buying kick this year because I decided I really liked Colorverse. I bought all the limited edition sets, including the new moon landing one and the standard model set. I don't find as many people on the boards into them. However, I see some hype on IG. Either way I will probably be slowing down for a while as I have a col-o-ring that has an extra large ring and keeps growing with my local pen meetings sample swaps.

As for social media, I don't have a facebook, but I do have an IG JUST FOR THE SAKE OF PEN STUFF! Yeah, it is instant gratification for seeing beautiful pens, inks, and hot new releases. It is not really the place for longer discussions and deep connections. Yet, even on the boards I struggle to find good conversations. In any case, you do see a lot of new inks from Asia now, and new releases from Sailor are particularly tempting. I wanna try their 123!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Gobblecup For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (July 13th, 2019)

Thanks

On here maybe or FPN (I wouldn't know).

& Myself, also experiencing a little overload

but on IG and Slack it is crazier than ever. Sailor Ink Studio madness has exploded (all the color shifting inks like 123, 462, 162 etc) & the new Troublemaker inks.

The inksanity has ramped up if anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gobblecup View Post
    What did Monteverde do to you? I am wondering because I just started buying them and using them this summer and now I am weary of betrayal!
    I had the same question when I read that. Figured it was this:

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...onteverde-Inks
    --
    Mike

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

pajaro (August 6th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (July 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Ah I see now, I just checked my bottles for awful smell and STIB but they seem fine. I am worried now though. I just got these in the past month.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Yes, it was the MV contamination problem. I loved their colors, bottle size, just about everything, but when I ordered their ten-bottle 'Bloo' set, the stench hit me in the face before opening any bottles. I still wanted some of the blues so ordered a few from a different site. Three of four bottles were also contaminated.

I recall when some JHerbin bottles turned to pudding. This put me off the brand for quite some time, though both JH and MV, to their credit, replaced all suspect inks.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gobblecup View Post
    Ah I see now, I just checked my bottles for awful smell and STIB but they seem fine. I am worried now though. I just got these in the past month.
    They'll be fine then - this was really obvious on opening the bottle, and isn't something that develops over time.