Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apathy Sunset

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Apathy Sunset

Has anyone else noticed a kind of lull in the enthusiasm for new inks of late?

I mean, there was a time when each new release was hotly followed by scrambling to buy and then to display. And there were a lot of inks coming out for a while - shading inks, shimmer inks, limited edition unobtainable inks, and so on. Doesn't seem to be much of that going on right now.

Remember the pandemonium over Noodler's Apache Sunset, for example? An ink I bought too, and now don't know what to do with (it is really not a colour I would use regularly).

Are we seeing a down cycle in inky pursuits?

Your musings, as always, are encouraged.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

dfo (July 8th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (July 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Apathy Sunset

Maybe you should pay a visit or two to the Ink forums. Ink Reviews and General Inky Goodness.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I am one of those who jumps on new inks because I like to be able to tell children, look you have 3000 colours to choose from, while inveigling them into using fountain pens. Apache Sunset has been a favorite among the under 13 crowd.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (July 16th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

There are a lot of wonderful new inks around at the moment however many of these are from “non-traditional” makers (e.g. Tono & Lims), especially from Asia. And the associated ink excitement is elsewhere these days, on social media sites such as IG and Facebook. There is decisive shift away from forums like FPG and FPN.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

dfo (July 14th, 2019), Jon Szanto (July 8th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

These threads are for the word nerds.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Speaking of that, I love the pun in this thread title.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (July 8th, 2019)

Thanks

I just have too many sitting on the shelf to keep up with, so I have resisted the temptation to buy more. When I was buying heavily, it was as much for the aesthetics of the bottle as it was for the contents. I managed to acquire a nice selection of Edelsteins, Iroshizukus, Graf von Faber-Castells, Diamines, Sailors and Namikis, all with lovely bottles, along with the usual suspects such as Waterman, Private Reserve, Lamy, Noodler's, Pelikan, Sheaffer, etc. Sometimes one just has to hold the line.

Thanks

I think a lot of ink makers did what product makers do and over-saturated the market (pun fully intended). I remember Apache Sunset, Emerald of Chivor, and Diamine Majestic Blue being the inks for shading, shimmer, and sheen, respectively. The Diamine went bonkers with shimmer inks, and Organic Studios went off the deep end with sheen. Poor shading got left a little bit behind, relatively, but we had Diamine Autumn Oak and KWZ Honey as the up and coming shaders after that.

The unique nature of various famous "firsts" sort of wore off for me with very few truly special inks out there anymore. My top inks, sadly, will always fall into the limited editions: Pelikan Amber, Lamy Dark Lilac, and Montblanc Dandy Turquoise. I'm really not sure the last ink I was truly excited for and have relegated my ink use to Pelikan Blue-Black or Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite (another blue-black) with the occasional Robert Ostert Caffe Crema thrown in for fun.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    I think a lot of ink makers did what product makers do and over-saturated the market (pun fully intended). I remember Apache Sunset, Emerald of Chivor, and Diamine Majestic Blue being the inks for shading, shimmer, and sheen, respectively. The Diamine went bonkers with shimmer inks, and Organic Studios went off the deep end with sheen. Poor shading got left a little bit behind, relatively, but we had Diamine Autumn Oak and KWZ Honey as the up and coming shaders after that.

The unique nature of various famous "firsts" sort of wore off for me with very few truly special inks out there anymore. My top inks, sadly, will always fall into the limited editions: Pelikan Amber, Lamy Dark Lilac, and Montblanc Dandy Turquoise. I'm really not sure the last ink I was truly excited for and have relegated my ink use to Pelikan Blue-Black or Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite (another blue-black) with the occasional Robert Ostert Caffe Crema thrown in for fun.
    That Lamy Dark Lilac is one of my faves.

Thanks

Perhaps the market is saturated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post

That Lamy Dark Lilac is one of my faves.
    Same. I have a bottle, but it rarely gets used. I would love to see it reissued or at least get someone to make a proper clone of it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

dfo (July 14th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I can't keep up. I won't keep up. *hugs bottles of Noodler's Black*

Three pens inked. No! Two! I de-inked the third last night night!

But all three - and now two - with Noodler's Black. If I simplify any further... well, I don't know what.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Same. I have a bottle, but it rarely gets used. I would love to see it reissued or at least get someone to make a proper clone of it.
    Mix of Yama-budo + Shin-kai (3:1) is a close enough clone for me. Most people don’t notice the difference

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 8th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (July 8th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Eh? There's been loads of hype about the heavy sheening Diamine regional exclusives. On Reddit and IG.

Fair bit of mention of the Pilot 100th anniversary inks too.

Krishna Inks have more out, and more places are starting to stock them.

Sailor Ink Studio has been everywhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Reddit and IG still show enormous interest in almost each and every new offering. When someone puts up a post about some obscure ink they found in a boutique in Tasmania, there is a frenzy to find out how to order it, even if the ink looks exactly like Waterman Serenity Blue. It's fucking Beanie Babies all over again...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (July 8th, 2019), VertOlive (July 8th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Ah, I was really talking about here and FPN. There definitely was a bit of an ink frenzy for a while on these sites. It's a lot quieter now in my opinion. Will have to go and check R and IG for my daily dose of inksanity!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It's fucking Beanie Babies all over again...
    Artisanal Beanie Babies, Jon
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

AzJon (July 8th, 2019), Jon Szanto (July 8th, 2019), sgtstretch (July 10th, 2019), VertOlive (July 8th, 2019)

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

The apathy is real. I found the inks I like, so I stopped trying new ones.
    "Love is the final fight."

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

mhosea (July 9th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Reddit and IG still show enormous interest in almost each and every new offering. When someone puts up a post about some obscure ink they found in a boutique in Tasmania, there is a frenzy to find out how to order it, even if the ink looks exactly like Waterman Serenity Blue. It's fucking Beanie Babies all over again...
    I suppose I was speaking personally, mostly for the exact reason you mentioned: it looks exactly like another ink in production, but this one is from [insert country]!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I went on a bit of an ink binge some years ago, in my first flush of enthusiasm for fountain pens. Before I calmed down, I had more varieties of Noodler's than I'll ever go through. Now I don't use any of the Noodler's in my good fountain pens, although I do keep the well of an Esterbrook Dip-Less desk pen filled with a mix of Noodler's Walnut and Black.

And I discovered other inks that I liked. Now I'm most likely to use Pilot or Sailor inks in my favorite pens, although there are a couple of De Atramentis ones that I like. But a number of things keep me from looking for more.

Most of my writing is in some sort of blue. Medium blue, dark blue, blue-black. I might have one pen (not counting that desk set) filled with brown, purple, or green, but relatively subdued, sober varieties of those colors. If I have to read a page of my notes, or if someone else has to read a letter of mine, I want it to be easy on the eyes. I have red fountain pen inks,but don't really care to dedicate a pen to one (although I have a couple of red Varsities around somewhere). If I need to mark something up in red, I'm more likely to reach for a gel pen. And I don't use black ink much either. I might use a gel pen for that too, if I wanted it for some particular but limited purpose. I have no interest in orange, pink, or yellow. Invisible ink might have been fun to play with when I was ten.

I like reasonable water resistance in an ink. I know that some people are relatively uncaring about this, but my main purpose in writing is to get words down on paper, not to admire the colors. And once the words are there, I would like them to stay there until I'm ready to dispose of whatever it is that I've written. I've got a pretty good stock now of water resistant inks in colors that I like, and I don't need more any time soon.

I don't currently draw in ink. I'm doing what I can with pencil and charcoal for now. It's conceivable that at some point I'll want to use colored inks, but not soon.

I'm sure that at some point I'll buy more fountain pens, although it's been a while now. I'll probably buy more paper. But more ink? Only if I run out of something I already like.

But on the question of whether fountain pen enthusiasts in general are getting less enthusiastic about inks, I don't know for sure, but suspect that I'm not typical.
    Last edited by Kaputnik; July 8th, 2019 at 07:45 PM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton