Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apathy Sunset

Thanks

Default Re: Apathy Sunset

Quote Originally Posted by Voiren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobblecup View Post
    Ah I see now, I just checked my bottles for awful smell and STIB but they seem fine. I am worried now though. I just got these in the past month.
    They'll be fine then - this was really obvious on opening the bottle, and isn't something that develops over time.
    Thanks! I am feeling more reassured now, I do enjoy all of mine so far except the Olivine. That one seems to crust around the nib and feed every time I cap a pen for more than an hour. It doesn't have any other issues, nothing smelly or growing in it, writes a beautiful color, etc. But it seems like an issue that I have seen some red/orange inks have, and it never seemed to happen with a green before.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Hmmm, interesting about the Olivine. I love the color. All my non-contaminated MV inks perform well. Blue Black is vewy, vewy dry, but that's a 'feature,' not a bug, as it allows me to write on bad paper.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Hmmm, interesting about the Olivine. I love the color. All my non-contaminated MV inks perform well. Blue Black is vewy, vewy dry, but that's a 'feature,' not a bug, as it allows me to write on bad paper.
    I will have to contact MV about the Olivine. It keeps me from using such a nice color.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    There are a lot of wonderful new inks around at the moment however many of these are from “non-traditional” makers (e.g. Tono & Lims), especially from Asia. And the associated ink excitement is elsewhere these days, on social media sites such as IG and Facebook. There is decisive shift away from forums like FPG and FPN.
    I was wondering about that. Having seldom been on fountain pen forums for six years or so, it was surprising to see the changes that have taken place. There is far less activity on the "old-school" forums than before. Reddit appears to have drawn away a lot of the activity, along with YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and, to a lesser extent, Pinterest. A lot of information is now posted on very large number of blogs. It is amazing how many there are, and also how good they are!

A similar and equally decisive shift has taken place in other hobbies that are subcultures of consumption. The computer BBS layout, used by traditional forums, has been around since the early 1980s and is starting to show its age. New ways of interacting have been developed, changing and expanding the online aspect of various hobbies. One thing I particularly noticed is the vast increase in the products available and the marked increase in online sellers. Compared to the scene in 2005, when I first got into fountain pens, it is the difference between night and day.

The variety of inks now available is astonishing. I would say that is a very marked increase in inky pursuits rather than a down cycle. Sure, there will be some people who go into product overload and lose interest in accumulating more stuff. From what I have seen, that is far more than offset by an increase in the number of fountain pen users. The shift to new social media platforms seems to have increased awareness of fountain pens. IMHO, it is a positive development.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Ah, I was really talking about here and FPN. There definitely was a bit of an ink frenzy for a while on these sites. It's a lot quieter now in my opinion. Will have to go and check R and IG for my daily dose of inksanity!
    I agree with you, and hope to see your musings on those sites, too. They are always interesting to read.

Forums had a pretty good run for 20 years, though, and accomplished a very great deal. Kudos to all the folks whose time, hard work and money made that happen! You made a huge difference.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pendragon For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 5th, 2019), Chrissy (August 5th, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 5th, 2019), pajaro (August 6th, 2019)

Thanks

I've still just got the six 30ml bottles of Diamine I got several months ago, plus a few cartridges, and what's left of the mystery inks. None of them are even close to being used up yet, and it's that that stops me wanting to explore or buy more.

When I first started looking at fountain pens, I expected to go through a heck of a lot more in than I actually do. The awakening of how long an ink lasts, has got me actively avoiding looking at reviews. When I run low on Sherwood Green, then I'll start looking what green I might want next. Same with my current blue, purple, red, brown, etc. Brown might be the first to need considering, as I only got cartridges of Chocolate Brown, whereas I've still got at least half a bottle of every thing else. But then again, I still have a nearly full bottle of Burnt Sienna...

I'm one of the freaks in this community that still has a working appreciation for the concept of "enough"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    I'm one of the freaks in this community that still has a working appreciation for the concept of "enough"
    No, it's just that 'enough' is different for everyone.

Thanks

I was going to buy another bottle of ink this week. When I looked into the ink cellar I decided another bottle was going to get lost in all of that muchness. Saved my money.

"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." --Epicurus
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    Mick Jagger: "Too much is never enough"

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

So, forums are more or less done? Well, I have enjoyed them and learned from them, and I am probably more or less on the way out too.

My wife thinks we should sell the house and travel, and wants to sell now. I hate it here, but I am very lazy and tired.

Next week we've got to get organized.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (August 7th, 2019), Scrawler (August 7th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It's fucking Beanie Babies all over again...
    It did WHAT with Beanie Babies?!
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    Mick Jagger: "Too much is never enough"
    Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray. — Rumi

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 7th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (August 7th, 2019), TSherbs (August 7th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    So, forums are more or less done? Well, I have enjoyed them and learned from them, and I am probably more or less on the way out too.
    I don't think forums like this one are going to go away tomorrow, it is just that there are now more places to gather online. Think of those other places as forums, but with a different user interface. That, in turn creates different experiences, but ones which are equally engaging and useful. Instead of one focal point, there are now many.

For what little time I have spent here at FPgeeks, I have enjoyed it very much. Hopefully, it will be around for a long time. I even liked Fountain Pen Network when I first joined it in 2005. It was only around 1,000 members back then. That being said, I think if I ever met Wim in real life I would like him a lot. It is important to experience pens and pen people in the real world, it's a lot different than online. Pen stores and pen shows are very interesting indeed!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post

My wife thinks we should sell the house and travel, and wants to sell now. I hate it here, but I am very lazy and tired.

Next week we've got to get organized.
    I like the forum format better. I probably could adapt to Reddit, but I the shoving of ads straight into the list of topics gets annoying. I may give it a try, but I'm a fan of the forum format.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (August 7th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Forums aren't going away completely for awhile for hobbies like pens, watches, Jeeps, fishing, where complex, tacit information is relayed, or where complex, interactive troubleshooting is needed.

Forums are really ideal for that sort of thing and that the information persists and is searcheable is huge.

Other social media platforms seem to be sucking people away, though, and you need a certain critical mass for a forum to do what it does well.

So some forums might die off but some will stay around. Just like some mailing lists still do fine 20 years on while others have become ghost towns.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Pendragon (August 7th, 2019)

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

I have more ink than I an use in my lifetime.

Too many of these new inks are almost indistinguishable from others and so many recently new companies. Hard to keep up with if I wanted to.

I am pretty well settled into blue/blacks, dark saturated blue, dark green, Skrip purple and an occasional red or readable yellow. I really like shading, not much on shimmer.

Before I found fountain pens I really disliked blue ink pens, too light color for me. Now I can find many dark, saturated blues. I love that we have all these choices but I am about inked out.
    Last edited by sharmon202; August 8th, 2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know