Thread: From India with ink stains

Thanks

Default From India with ink stains

Hi,

Have been an admirer of fountain pens right from schooldays, even the leaky Camlins and the valiant Heros evoke nostalgia. The Reynolds use-and-throw revolution shook India just as I was leaving school and the ubiquitous Bic-like Reynolds was the ball pen of choice for the years after. On joining work, I ran into this flamboyant journalist-editor with a penchant for Quink-filled Lamys, arrayed in his coat pocket in 40-degrees-plus-hot India. And the spell was cast.

Got a gray Lamy M (1) within a few weeks (only to give it away in a spirit of excessive camaraderie with a former colleague a few years later.) Since then I have got myself a sturdy Sheaffer Gift 300 Medium nib (2) which has never failed me, (3) Lamy B (Matte Black, with a nib worn lifeless by scratching on glass to “smoothen” it) and another (4) Lamy B (Yellow) which does commendable service. Then a (5) Noodler’s Ahab since a designer/calligrapher friend oohed and aahed on the sinuosity of the flex pen. Got the feeder fold on itself the first time I cleaned it but after seeing several articles here on nib fin and feed adjustment and wielding a blade for the apprehensively made adjustments, the Ahab writes like a dream.

The latest acquisition is a (6) TWSBI Eco, which is like ultra-smooth, making me question my entire pen purchase history. Bought after badgering a friend, this pen heaves the ball out of the park compared to the Lamys and the Ahab. Only the cheap Sheaffer Gift 300, with less ink capacity, can match the TWSBI in writing ease. But the heart beats for the Ahab. Pens 2, 4 and 5 were all bought on Amazon or its Indian competitor Flipkart.

The thought, which has been at the back of my mind ever since I registered here and has been lurking about for a longer time, is this: My work is on the laptop and the pens travel with me to work and back snug in the pen compartment. Is this an unnecessary hobby/fetish in a world of keyboards/social media/Netflix?

Looking forward to your replies.

Vikram

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vikramwa For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 8th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: From India with ink stains

Hello and welcome to FPGeeks.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Welcome to FPG, Vikramwa. Though I use fountain pens for many other things, I find them essential when reseaching on the PC or in reference works. Admittedly, there are note-taking aps but they are not as convenient for me as my fountain pen and notepad. Again, this could be done with a ballpoint but I wouldn't enjoy doing that. To be brutally honest, fountain pens may no longer be essential. However, a hobby does not have to be necessary. In fact, a hobby is often a way to escape for a time from those things that are necesary.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Scribbler (July 8th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Welcome, Vikram! Your fountain pen journey was really cool to hear about! I'm glad you are no longer a lurker

I also work on computers / technology. I suppose one could argue pens and paper are unnecessary when we have OneNote or other such software to take notes with. I've tried taking notes on computers using various software and methods.

However, I find I am more effective taking handwritten notes in a simplified bullet journal style than any other method I've used so far in the last 20 years on the job. It is crazy but true for me.

With written notes, I am able to remember things better and, surprisingly, find information faster than compared to using OneNote despite all of the organizational features it offers. Somehow, flipping through pages and using a simple index is faster and more streamlined.

I suppose I could do the same with cheap notebooks and a pack of cheap wood pencils or ballpoint pens. But life is short. Might as well make the most of even the mundane things.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Hi Vikram, welcome!

> Is this an unnecessary hobby/fetish in a world of keyboards/social media/Netflix?

It is absolutely necessary, especially for those whose capacity and taste goes way beyond what keyboards/social media/Netflix are capable of giving.

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Deb (July 12th, 2019), vikramwa (July 16th, 2019)

Thanks

Welcome

Thanks

Hello and welcome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Hi Vikram, welcome!

> Is this an unnecessary hobby/fetish in a world of keyboards/social media/Netflix?

It is absolutely necessary, especially for those whose capacity and taste goes way beyond what keyboards/social media/Netflix are capable of giving.

That was well said!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Hi Vikram

Thanks

Welcome from Missouri!

Glad you are with us!

Thanks

Greetings!

One of my favorite (and quirkiest) pens is an Indian made Pilot eye dropper fill model in black hard rubber. If you're up for trying a low-tech pen that demands more care be taken to avoid ink related disasters, then I'd suggest searching one out, vintage has it's rewards