Thread: New member from London

Thanks

Default New member from London

I’ve just registered here on the site in the hope that you’re a friendly lot, and will have patience with a typical forum newbie like me just getting into a new hobby. I have but a single fountain pen now – a girthy but finely crafted sterling silver Asprey retailed pen that my research suggests was manufactured by Onoto in the 80s or 90s.

My collecting passion is vintage wristwatches (chronographs), and have been active on forums in that world for a long time, a buyer and sometimes seller as my collection evolved, and have amassed quite a nice collection over the years, but the thing that I find unrewarding from watch collecting is that it doesn’t cater very well to my Make, Do and Mend personality. Watchmaking is a high complexity job requiring schooling/apprenticeship, years of training, with tiny parts, good eyesight, and a steady hand required. I have to send things to my watchmaker and wait for them to be returned. However, I’m really interested in how things work, love to repair and polish, like the smell and the feel of materials in my hands, and get real satisfaction by rescuing things forgotten by others and turning them into little gems for myself. I’m hoping that fountain pens might be an interesting world for me. I’m not planning to look at anything except vintage pens, as I love having unique things you can’t just walk into a shop and buy. There’s a luxury in vintage items that need not always cost a fortune, but comes from scholarly learning, patience, and time.

So, I’ve been watching YouTube videos, bought some basic refurb supplies of micromesh, wax, polish, some brushes and tweezers, small ultrasonic cleaner, and a copy of the 4thedition of Pen Repair by Marshall and Oldfield. Then I’ve done which I’m sure most people would say is a bad idea – I’ve bought about 50 fountain pens (marbled and striped celluloid pens from the 30s & 40s I think) in a few bulk lots from some local auction houses, that will no doubt have a big variety of makers, filling mechanisms, states of decay and quality – and plan to spend the summer going over them and posting here for help (advanced warning!). Photo of some of them attached - if anything interesting left me know! Might be a pile of junk....

You can find me on eBay and Instagram as dbuddman.

Best Regards

David

Last edited by buddman; July 9th, 2019 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: New member from London

Hello and welcome to FPGeeks.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

buddman (July 9th, 2019)

Thanks

Welcome It looks like you are headed in the right direction and I wish you success in your pen repair endeavors.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne For This Useful Post:

buddman (July 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Welcome to FPG, buddman. I think it was a very good idea to buy a lot of different pens to work on. There are some decent pens there and the Swans are about as good as you get. I'm sure you will have immense fun learning and repairing. We're always glad to help.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

buddman (July 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

That's a good haul to be getting on with! (And lots of not-black )

If that lizard-pattern Swan is in good condition, that material is fairly sought-after. I spy a grey-red striped possibly-Parker as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

buddman (July 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by buddman View Post
    My collecting passion is vintage wristwatches (chronographs),... but the thing that I find unrewarding from watch collecting is that it doesn’t cater very well to my Make, Do and Mend personality.
    I like the cut of jib, sir. I have a very modest collection of watches including pocket watches and wristwatches. I also enjoy repairing mechanical things. I've turned many a wrench on my old jeep, built robots, fixed vintage audio electronics, etc.

Watchmaking, as you say, is at a whole different level. Merely being able to take apart and reassemble a watch without destroying is really challenging. I can clean and oil pocket watches and Timex wristwatches but repairing problems? Nope!

Pen repair is a great hobby. I was able to transfer crystal polishing skills to celluloid pens. Changing a sac or lever is pretty straightforward. Nib work takes practice but basic fixes are well within reach. In all, pen repair is relaxing, fun, and very rewarding. Frankly, I took it up to take a break from watch repair.

Although facing a pile of 50 pens might not relax me! But seriously, I think that is great and I can't wait to hear updates from you here and on Instagram. Lots of great folks on here with plenty of pen repair experience among them.

It looks like you have some neat pens in that bunch and some interesting patterns, too. Best of luck in your repair work!
    Last edited by azkid; July 9th, 2019 at 10:18 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

buddman (July 9th, 2019)

Thanks

Hello and welcome. Cool pens. 😎

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FreeLance For This Useful Post:

buddman (July 12th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

buddman (July 12th, 2019)