Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Animosiity - why do some people hate fountain pens?

Thanks

Default Re: Animosiity - why do some people hate fountain pens?

"You mean my dear dead mother's fountain pen? That's all I have to remember her by? You have a problem with that?"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sid the Cat For This Useful Post:

amk (August 11th, 2019), Kaputnik (August 9th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
    I used to listen to the Erasable pencil podcast. One its three regulars seemed to genuinely hate fountain pens. I think it offended him that people would spend so much on a writing instrument when they could use the wonderful and humble wooden pencil. I also got the impression he thought that it was fountain pens that kept more people from being fans/users of wood pencils. Strange.
    Maybe he is a knight in shining armor looking for a dragon to slay? A very strange, very zealous attitude to say the least. That sounds a little like fountain pen forum members and Montblanc pens years ago. Sir Pencilot might find that fire-breathing mechanical pencils make better dragons than ink-spitting fountain pens. Pens and pencils of any sort are useful, but in different ways.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Sir Pencilot might find that fire-breathing mechanical pencils make better dragons than ink-spitting fountain pens.
    Oh no, only wood pencils. MPs were considered almost as bad as fountain pens.

In fairness, I haven't listened to that podcast in quite some time. My memory could be off a little. Plus, as someone who also likes pencils, I did appreciate their passion for them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I used to listen to the Erasable pencil podcast. One its three regulars seemed to genuinely hate fountain pens. I think it offended him that people would spend so much on a writing instrument when they could use the wonderful and humble wooden pencil. I also got the impression he thought that it was fountain pens that kept more people from being fans/users of wood pencils. Strange.
    It's interesting to me that there would be enough to say about wood pencils to justify a podcast, but I'll put that down to my ignorance. There probably is more to know than I suspect. I rarely have the patience to listen to a podcast, but if they had written this down, I might take a look.

My liking for fountain pens hasn't caused me to dislike any other type of writing instrument. I still appreciate ballpoints for what they are; I use them quite rarely now, but occasionally they're the best tool for the job. I probably use mechanical pencils as much as I ever did, although less than fountain pens. And I'm using wooden pencils more than I did a few years ago, as I'm trying to learn to draw. I recently bought a set of Mitsubishi pencils with every grade from 10B to 10H.

I don't use felt tips much, but every now and then I reach for a Sharpie. Is there a Sharpie podcast?
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    It's interesting to me that there would be enough to say about wood pencils to justify a podcast, but I'll put that down to my ignorance. There probably is more to know than I suspect. I rarely have the patience to listen to a podcast, but if they had written this down, I might take a look.

My liking for fountain pens hasn't caused me to dislike any other type of writing instrument. I still appreciate ballpoints for what they are; I use them quite rarely now, but occasionally they're the best tool for the job. I probably use mechanical pencils as much as I ever did, although less than fountain pens. And I'm using wooden pencils more than I did a few years ago, as I'm trying to learn to draw. I recently bought a set of Mitsubishi pencils with every grade from 10B to 10H.

I don't use felt tips much, but every now and then I reach for a Sharpie. Is there a Sharpie podcast?
    Even though I like wood pencils, I thought the same thing before I started listening. How much can you say about pencils? I'm sure many would say the same thing about fountain pens. With wood pencils there are things like point retention, how much a lead smears or ghosts in a notebook. There are also other things to compare one pencil to another: how well they sharpen, is one brand's HB or B as dark as another brand's, etc.

I'm guessing there are podcasts for every subject under the sun these days.
    Last edited by Zhivago; August 10th, 2019 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks

Even though I like wood pencils, I thought the same thing before I started listening. How much can you say about pencils?
    I was thinking the same thing. One of the best things about wood pencils is that they are incredibly simple - wood + lead = pencil. Maybe a podcast or two about different pencil sharpeners, but that is about it. The only writing instrument that is simpler is a Crayola crayon. Yes, there are crayon podcasts, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Even though I like wood pencils, I thought the same thing before I started listening. How much can you say about pencils?
    I was thinking the same thing. One of the best things about wood pencils is that they are incredibly simple - wood + lead = pencil. Maybe a podcast or two about different pencil sharpeners, but that is about it. The only writing instrument that is simpler is a Crayola crayon. Yes, there are crayon podcasts, too.
    I imagine the many possible handling and writing characteristics of such seeming simple components are a source of great variety and satisfaction for pencil people. If anyone should understand that, it's us.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Pendragon (August 12th, 2019), SchaumburgSwan (August 12th, 2019)