Thread: tough section to remove

Thanks

Default tough section to remove

So I've had this beautiful green celluloid Wahl/Gregg lever filler for some time now and have been stymied on every attempt to try and remove the section.

I've done this simple procedure dozens of times and have always triumphed, but his pen just won't let go of the section. I'm starting to wonder if it was super glued to the barrel (it has an incorrect skyline nib/feed from a previous repair).

I've done the soak, heat, soak, heat thing probably a dozen times with zero results. Can anyone out there give me some alternative tactic to end this silly game?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: tough section to remove

On some of these models, they use aluminum sleeve inside the barrel. That aluminum "bonded" with the section which needs to be broken down using penetrating oil such as WD-40 and the likes. BUT, I have used those to solve this particular problem with ebonite version of this pen, not celluloid.

Make sure whatever penetrating oil you're trying does not contain Acetone or any other chemical that will mess up your celluloid barrel.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 13th, 2019), Sagebrush64 (July 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Excellent information. I've worked on a few aluminum sleeved pens but never encountered this problem. I'll give the oil a try. Thank you!

Thanks

Haaaaaa! it worked. just a touch of liquid wrench at the seam.....and 2 minutes later....POP...came right off. It is not a sleeved pen however. Thanks again!

Thanks

Isn't that feeling wonderful !!?

Which liquid wrench brand are you using?

Wait, Liquid Wrench is the brand isn't it? Which version are you using? If it's harmless to celluloid, it's a good one to have around for pen restoration.
    Last edited by penwash; July 13th, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
    - Will

Thanks

It really is....especially since I've had this pen for so long and have been unable to do anything with it.
    So I transferred a tiny bit into a glass bottle, then used a micro pipet to carefully touch the seam between the barrel and section....very little was used and I was careful not to touch anything for a couple of minutes....I then applied the section wrench and voila....with practically no pressure, it just popped right off. I cleaned it up with water and it looks no worse the wear, so I would say, in very small doses and carefully applied...it is safe to use.
    It appears to have the correct-ish nib, but I think the feed is from a skyline....I think.
    Here are a few pics....the other pen is a nice little Wahl coral colored Tulip clip pen that was in horrible condition, but that cleaned up nicely after a ton of elbow grease!
    All in all....it's been a good morning. Thanks again for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Good advice there from penwash, especially as it worked so well, and so quickly.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

penwash (July 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush64 View Post
    It really is....especially since I've had this pen for so long and have been unable to do anything with it.
    So I transferred a tiny bit into a glass bottle, then used a micro pipet to carefully touch the seam between the barrel and section....very little was used and I was careful not to touch anything for a couple of minutes....I then applied the section wrench and voila....with practically no pressure, it just popped right off. I cleaned it up with water and it looks no worse the wear, so I would say, in very small doses and carefully applied...it is safe to use.
    It appears to have the correct-ish nib, but I think the feed is from a skyline....I think.
    Here are a few pics....the other pen is a nice little Wahl coral colored Tulip clip pen that was in horrible condition, but that cleaned up nicely after a ton of elbow grease!
    Yeah, that feed is not correct period for that pen, maybe the pen was purchased new, then a decade or two later was sent back to Eversharp for repair and they only have that feed available by that time.

Good looking pen. I also love the "tulip" model. I have one in woodgrain ebonite that still has the clip intact in size no.4 (which is very hard to find).
    - Will

11. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 14th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Good advice there from penwash, especially as it worked so well, and so quickly.
    With vintage pens, despite all the good intention and technique, you never really know which next attempt will end up in pieces of pen.

So every we hear a success story like this, we rejoice!
    - Will

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 14th, 2019), Chrissy (July 13th, 2019), Sagebrush64 (July 13th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush64 View Post
    Yeah, that feed is not correct period for that pen, maybe the pen was purchased new, then a decade or two later was sent back to Eversharp for repair and they only have that feed available by that time.

Good looking pen. I also love the "tulip" model. I have one in woodgrain ebonite that still has the clip intact in size no.4 (which is very hard to find).
    Nice! I have a couple of Tulip pens "in need of ".... actually posted a half hearted request over on a facebook group yesterday and was met with "oh...you too?" Oh well....like the olive ripple 94 that needs a section I suppose.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

I love to see pen repair questions with a happy ending like this one. This is exactly how a forum like FPGeeks should be.

It looks like Sagebrush64 had done everything right so far, to get this pen apart at the section, yet for whatever reason it hadn't worked. One quick thread question on here, and one reply later, and there it was done. Great.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 14th, 2019), penwash (July 14th, 2019), Sagebrush64 (July 14th, 2019)