Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Sheaffers at Janesville

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default The Sheaffers at Janesville

Here is proof that Walter A. Sheaffer was personally involved in the effort to make major incursions into pen and aeroplane operations in Wisconsin. That's Walter in his favorite conveyance arriving at the outskirts of Janesville with both corporate officers and family in tow. He faces backwards speaking with Joe Kraker in the covered howdah. Alas, the tragic events shortly after this image was captured are lost to history, but I just might come up with something.

Edited to add: This altered image was parody addressing now-deleted posts and threads. As a result of the deletion, the purpose of the humor may no longer be appreciated (except by those who wish to remember). Unfortunately, a newbie to FPGeeks has ironically revived the matter through his misguided posts (below) defending the banned OP of those now-deleted threads (referred to as the "eliminated person"). This thread would have disappeared off the bottom of the page but for the newbie bumping it to the top. I do not intend to bump it again by responding to his false timeline, his hypocrisy and his empty threat.

Unfortunately, the newbie persists in bumping this thread that he finds (hypocritically) so offensive, and continues to evade addressing the evidence of that hypocrisy. Alas, since he drifted into FPGeeks on the coattails of the “eliminated person,” this newbie's whining/whinging has contributed no substance whatsoever to our good forum.
    Last edited by FredRydr; August 10th, 2019 at 07:57 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

azkid (July 18th, 2019), Brilliant Bill (July 16th, 2019), catbert (July 16th, 2019), Chrissy (July 16th, 2019), Deb (August 1st, 2019), jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019), Jon Szanto (July 17th, 2019), Marsilius (July 26th, 2019), Pendragon (August 8th, 2019), Scrawler (July 31st, 2019), sharmon202 (August 8th, 2019), SIR (July 16th, 2019), titrisol (July 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: The Sheaffers at Janesville

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 18th, 2019), bebox (July 18th, 2019), catbert (July 17th, 2019), Chrissy (July 17th, 2019), SIR (July 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

The truth at last though I am concerned. You are reading FPG at 7:14 in the evening. Shouldn't you be mixing a drink?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 18th, 2019), jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019), Jon Szanto (July 17th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Fred, I'm hoping that you can come up with some more valuable historical images like this one.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019)

Thanks

From your picture I conclude that Joe Kraker does exist so I am glad that that issue is solved now.

And Walter is possibly lamenting to Joe on the fact that his family name on the howdah cover is misspelled. Or was this done on purpose ... ?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    ...family name on the howdah cover is misspelled. Or was this done on purpose ... ?
    It was a covert operation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sirs:

I have tried to understand the usefulness of this thread in a forum dedicated to fountain pens.
    I have not succeeded.

Apparently all of you make fun of a person who has already been removed from the forum. Therefore helpless.

I have tried to understand the animosity caused by the various post delivered by the eliminated person and also I do not succeed.

Beyond the obvious harassment I do not see any use of this thread in relation to fountain pens information.

Upon recently entering this forum, I found topics of interest in relation to fountain pens, which I appreciate.

This matter surprises me and seems discordant with the objectives of the forum.

It even allows me to ask the OP:

Does Mr. James Gurney know the use that has been given to his work in this thread?

Intrigued by that doubt, I have allowed myself to inform the artist and his representatives about the subject.

Best regards

PS. I live in Chile, so I am not spaniard or catalan and neither my name is Ramon.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pendict View Post
    Sirs: Apparently all of you make fun of a person who has already been removed from the forum. Therefore helpless.
    To be very brief, when this thread was made the person in question was most definitely active on the board. This person has a long history, on a number of pen forums, for doing specifically this manner of (mis)informational trolling. When you add in that FPG does not have active moderation, on an ongoing basis, you might understand why forum members themselves try to find ways to counteract such poor behavior. The subject is a bit deepr than a cursory glance, but I don't expect everyone to know that, hence this reply.

We really are very nice people!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019), jos (July 24th, 2019), welch (January 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Sirs:

I have tried to understand the usefulness of this thread in a forum dedicated to fountain pens.
    I have not succeeded.

It even allows me to ask the OP: Does Mr. James Gurney know the use that has been given to his work in this thread? Intrigued by that doubt, I have allowed myself to inform the artist and his representatives about the subject.
    Even on a forum dedicated to fountain pens we are allowed to have an occasional thread that provides a little tongue in cheek, lighthearted joke, and laugh a little from time to time.

If this particular type of thread doesn't float your boat or fall into your topics of interest in relation to fountain pens, then that's OK. There are many other fountain pen and ink topics on here that might suit you better.

Sadly, in my humble opinion, and if you don't mind me giving you this heads-up, your last paragraph comes across as rather threatening and unfriendly. That's a real shame.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 24th, 2019 at 01:13 AM.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019), Jon Szanto (July 24th, 2019), jos (July 24th, 2019), Scrawler (July 31st, 2019), SIR (July 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Sirs:

I have not succeeded.

Apparently all of you make fun of a person who has already been removed from the forum. Therefore helpless.

I have tried to understand the animosity caused by the various post delivered by the eliminated person and also I do not succeed.

Beyond the obvious harassment I do not see any use of this thread in relation to fountain pens information.

Upon recently entering this forum, I found topics of interest in relation to fountain pens, which I appreciate.

Does Mr. James Gurney know the use that has been given to his work in this thread?

Intrigued by that doubt, I have allowed myself to inform the artist and his representatives about the subject.

Best regards

PS. I live in Chile, so I am not spaniard or catalan and neither my name is Ramon.
    Some folk were placed on this earth just to be targets.

It ain't as easy being a target as many folk think; the general public being oblivious to all that is not manipulatively inserted into their psyche; thus the wannabe targets move from location to location, trying to attract attention and then complaining when they find their beautiful fantasies shot full of holes.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019), sharmon202 (August 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Tell us about your posts objecting to Ramon's applying his own copyright label to photographs taken and owned by someone else, too.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

jar (July 25th, 2019), jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019), SIR (July 25th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Sirs:

I have not succeeded.

Best regards

Does every thread have to be useful? I found this image very amusing and it caused me to look up the work of James Gurney which I didn't know about before.
    You appear to be defending "the person removed from the forum." Believe me, what he was doing was utterly indefensible.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019), SIR (July 25th, 2019)

Thanks

Hi all:

I am a man who is nearing the end of his days.

I have many defects and among them I can point out:

I don't usually give advice or impart moral or behavioral norms to anyone.

The advice I receive is evaluate according to who gives it to me and my own beliefs and convictions.

Usually I stand for my words but I don't want hurt anyone.

I distinguish facts from opinions, and I prefer facts for my decisions.

If I see a person attacked by many others, I tend to get on their side and shake hands.

If in a debate I hear arguments “ad hominem”, I usually dismiss them as spurious.

If I see contradictions between what is said and done, I suspect.

And since my native language is not English, sometimes I prefer someone else to speak for me.

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

With all due respect and without any spirit of harassment or to shame anybody, I will pose a humble question:

Since the questioned threads were already deleted I wonder if it would be convenient to remove this thread too?

Best regards to all.

Thanks

With all due respect and without any spirit of harassment or to shame anybody, I will pose a humble question:

Since the questioned threads were already deleted I wonder if it would be convenient to remove this thread too?
    On fora it is always unwise to try and discuss people who have been banned, but you seem to be particularly interested in only talking about that one person. I will therefore put forward a theory of what probably happened in order for you to hopefully see the sequence of events and allow the subject to drop.

The person who posted all of those threads was banned from the forum, just as he has been banned from other fora. The threads he had posted were not deleted.

However, he decided he wasn't going to be banned, so he immediately rejoined as another ID and posted loads more images on his threads. Therefore the administrator banned that ID and removed all of the threads in order to prevent him from doing that again.

This thread has nothing to do with it. It was posted while the banned member was still posting. It's just another thread from another member.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 26th, 2019 at 12:43 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Deb (July 26th, 2019), jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I think you place yourself stubbornly on the wrong side of the argument, Pendict. Are you really supporting someone who consistently stole the work of others? That nonsense which annoyed and upset so many of us has gone. Lets forget about it and get one with having good discussion and fun about pens and everything else.
    Last edited by Deb; July 26th, 2019 at 04:09 AM.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 26th, 2019), jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019), Jon Szanto (July 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I think you place yourself stubbornly on the wrong side of the argument, Pendict. Are you really supporting someone who consistently stole the work of others? That nonsense which annoyed and upset so many of us has gone. Lets forget about it and get one with having good discussion and fun about pens and everything else.
    Absolutely.
    Pendict, life is too short, as very sadly you suggest you may already be aware. Enjoy your fountain pens and maybe don't concern yourself too much with minutiae of what's already gone.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Deb (July 26th, 2019), jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019), Scrawler (July 31st, 2019)

Thanks

I don't usually give advice or impart moral or behavioral norms to anyone.
    Someone seems to have hacked your account, because this was posted under your name:

Quote Originally Posted by Pendict

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019), SIR (July 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Hi there.

If you don't mind I don't like contextomy.

"He who keeps a silent tongue in his head when the air is filled with anger is on the way to holding down his own wrath. But he who keeps a silent mind will conquer it more quickly and easily."

Best regards.

Thanks

"He who keeps a silent tongue in his head when the air is filled with anger is on the way to holding down his own wrath. But he who keeps a silent mind will conquer it more quickly and easily."
    Does Mr. Paul Brunton's Philosophic Foundation know the use that has been given to its work in this thread?
    Intrigued by that doubt, I include here the proper reference:
    https://paulbrunton.org/notebooks/6/3#155

35. The Following User Says Thank You to jos For This Useful Post:

Pendict (July 28th, 2019)

Thanks

En boca cerrada no entran moscas.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 29th, 2019), carlos.q (July 29th, 2019), catbert (July 28th, 2019), jar (July 29th, 2019), jmccarty3 (August 3rd, 2019)