Thread: Help with Sheaffer Snorkel Skipping?

Thanks

Default Help with Sheaffer Snorkel Skipping?

Some of my family members gave me a Sheaffer Statesmen Snorkel that they found while preparing for an estate sale. I cleaned it out several times with water, but I never saw any ink come out. Maybe it had never been inked? Anyway, I filled it up with Monteverde Yosemite Green, and it initially - for a page or two of an A5 Clairefontaine journal - wrote like a dream. Then the pen started skipping. Just a bit at first, but then it was every other word or so. So I emptied it out and re-cleaned it. And then refilled it with Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo. This time I got about 3-4 pages and the skipping started again. I got rather frustrated and left the pen inked up in its case for two days. I picked it up, wrote a page beautifully, but then the skipping came back -- with a vengeance. (See the picture).

I've never had a vintage pen before. Is there something I'm doing wrong? How do I even prime the feed on the Snorkel? Does it even have an ink window? Surely it wouldn't have run out of ink already? Are there adjustments I can make? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Re: Help with Sheaffer Snorkel Skipping?

You need to have it restored. It's not actually filling properly. It may be taking a bit of ink but not a full fill. The sac needs replacing as well as the o-ring and the point gasket and a thorough cleaning and adjustment.

Stacy Hills
    PaperWantsAPen

Thanks

I was afraid that might be the case. Otherwise it seemed like the pen had a ludicrously small ink capacity?
    Who would you recommended to restore it?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tudor View Post
    I was afraid that might be the case. Otherwise it seemed like the pen had a ludicrously small ink capacity?
    Pictures of the pen would help...and snorks do not have a huge ink capacity as it is.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

The Sheaffer Statesman Snorkels came out in the 1950's, so you are looking at a pen that is over 60 years old. Some of the original rubber seals may have dried out or crumpled away.

For the shortest turn-around time and reasonable rates try Danny Fudge at thewritepen.net He does excellent work and is highly recommended by members here. I've used his services several times.

Also Joel and Sherell at ink-pen.com

Linda and Mike do great work, especially nib grinds at indy-pen-dance.com Linda was trained by the great and noted fountain pen expert Richard Binder.

Also Ron Zorn at Mainstreetpens.com although you have a horrendous wait time for repairs. He currently has a backlog wait of 16+ weeks as a minimum.

All are professionals that will do great work on your fountain pen. Please be aware that several major pen shows are coming up and some may not be able to answer questions you email them. I am assuming that you live in the United States. For overseas, some of the other geeks may chime in on repair people.

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; August 16th, 2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Always spelling!
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

...Who would you recommended to restore it?
    That depends where you are. Please complete your profile location and it'll make a world of difference!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...Who would you recommended to restore it?
    That depends where you are. Please complete your profile location and it'll make a world of difference!
    I considered suggesting something like this, but I read "estate sale" and "Monteverde ink" and rightly or wrongly assumed US.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens