Thread: Parker Duofold Aerometric sacs

Thanks

Default Parker Duofold Aerometric sacs

Good Morning, this weeks dose of noobie questions....

Ive got 3 Parker Duofold Aerometrics on the refub desk, and wanted to ask a few things.

1. Given that I am dissembling and cleaning, should I replace the sac even if it appears to be ok? 2 of the 3 are very stained but I haven't looked yet into whether they are fully intact.
    2. I assume the sac is different size to the Parker 51 Aerometric ones that seem widely available. All of mine are "press bar at least 5 times" but do appear to be at least 2 different sizes. What is the correct sac type for these Duofolds?
    3 If you disassemble the nib and feed, other than a logical realignment to put them back in, is there anything special to be concerned about when you reassemble? Again, if there appears to be nothing wrong, is it best to just flush with water, polish the nib, polish the feed and leave it all intact?
    4 I read that the "press bar 6 times" Duofolds have the metal filling mechanism threaded to the pen body. Are these types attached with shellac?

Thank you in advance...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Parker Duofold Aerometric sacs

I would tend to follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" maxim here and leave the sacs alone until they need replacing.
    Definitely leave the nibs and feeds in unless they have to be knocked out because something is broken.
    In the event that the sacs/sac guards are replaced, then I believe that shellac is what you would need to use to replace them.

If you haven't read Richard Binder's reference pages yet, start here
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 18th, 2019 at 05:07 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thank you. Sort of what I thought. What is the correct sac type for a duofold?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buddman View Post
    Thank you. Sort of what I thought. What is the correct sac type for a duofold?
    Vintage Fountain Pens
    Pendragons
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

One of those pens that I would leave as it is. The sacs are bulletproof and are best left alone. I have only seen one that needed to be replaced which I assumed was down to the user having long fingernails, the metal casing can be fragile if you are hamfisted. The feed and nib seldom benefit from taking apart. The nibs on all your pens look good, especially the Maxima, just flush and clean out.

The pen responds well to a little polishing on the metalwork and the casing, the plastic is quite soft so nothing too abrasive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bzzer For This Useful Post:

buddman (July 19th, 2019)