Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noodler's Baystate blue just ruined my Ahab! Help!

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler's Baystate blue just ruined my Ahab! Help!

True, the pen is not "ruined",it still writes well; but the stain remains. What other noodlers inks do the same thing? I will use BSB in cartridge pens only, not in piston pens.

"What you permit, you promote"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

[Yoda] Pen filling system matters it does not. What kind of pen hygiene you keep matters it does.[/Yoda]
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (June 4th, 2013), manoeuver (June 4th, 2013), Tracy Lee (June 4th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Aurora Blue stains every bit as much as BSB but no one treats THAT ink like radioactive waste.
    Hmmmmm? I've used that in three vintage celluloid pens and I've never had any problem with that ink. At all. Maybe they changed the formula?
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Aurora Blue stains every bit as much as BSB but no one treats THAT ink like radioactive waste.
    Hmmmmm? I've used that in three vintage celluloid pens and I've never had any problem with that ink. At all. Maybe they changed the formula?
    It's possible. This was a sample vial I got not long ago.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gforce View Post
    True, the pen is not "ruined",it still writes well; but the stain remains. What other noodlers inks do the same thing? I will use BSB in cartridge pens only, not in piston pens.

"What you permit, you promote"
    Noodler's Kung Te-cheng comes with a warning that it stains nibs.
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cedargirl For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (June 4th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gforce View Post
    Why does everyone think this is strictly a Noodler's issue?

It's ink. Ink, by definition, stains.
    My blog, the Five Cat Penagerie.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mhphoto For This Useful Post:

angebuen (December 26th, 2014), CapeClear (June 5th, 2013), Dreck (February 21st, 2015), manoeuver (June 5th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhphoto View Post
    Why does everyone think this is strictly a Noodler's issue?
    I didn't notice "everyone" thinking or implying that. Nathan Tardiff makes a lot of inks, with differing formulas. Some of them have issues. This is not to say that his is the only brand that contains some inks that are more difficult than others.

It's ink. Ink, by definition, stains.
    However, in varying degrees. With knowledge, one can certainly have a less-staining experience.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

BSB is a weird ink.

Here is what happened to a brand new Lamy Safari belonging to a fellow Pen Posse member inked with BSB for less than a week. This was a brand new pen, flushed with water, and only inked with BSB. The feed basically crumbled and the nib fell out while in use.

In my own experience, I had Brian Gray make a pen out of Torlon just for BSB. That pen was also brand new and only inked with BSB. In my case, after a few weeks of use, the flow slowed. I took the entire feed assembly apart and found the BSB had crystallized within the feed. The crystals were about 1 mm in size and could not be dissolved in tap water. I had to manually scrap the crystals out of the feed.

Weird ink.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

Tony Rex (June 4th, 2013)

jor412

That's really weird. I use BSB in a black Pilot 78G. If I hold it at a certain angle I can see how the ink has stained the feed & section, but nothing else has happened to the pen.

Thanks

Moral of the story seems to be:
    Use BSB only in a pen you don't mind getting ruined if the ink doesn't agree with its innards.

From all the stories about the ink, it seems to affect a wide range of pens and react differently in each case.
    It also seems that it is entirely random in that someone will use it in his pen with no ill effects and someone else will use it in the same brand/model pen and it chews the pen.
    It's possible. This was a sample vial I got not long ago.
    What the guys never report is whether it is from a brand new bottle or a sample bottle.
    Perhaps it's a contamination issue in the bottles that there is something else in the bottle or sample that combined with the ink causes the problems.
    The old German piston pens should be able to take most things that are thrown at them. The likes of Rotring, Faber Castell and Staedtler all used the same material and pistons for the drawing pens that would clean up quite happily after having India ink formulas dry in them.

If you ever use or plan to use old vintage pens, stay away from alcohol for cleaning - it will eat the pens. Even Montblanc bodies will disintegrate with alcohol. Rather get some drafting ink pen cleaner and use that. (Rotring, Koh I Nor make them. Find the cheapest in your area.)

Thanks

Uhm... Just to clear things up.

The 'it' I was referring to as quoted above was AURORA blue, not BSB. I mentioned that AB stained a cart, pipette, and cleaning tool every bit as badly as BSB is said to stain, and no one treats AB as nuclear waste.

My AB is from a recent sample bottle. I can't control or determine what batches samples come from. Nor can anyone else.

I agree that BSB is best in a dedicated, inexpensive pen.

Thanks

The 'it' I was referring to as quoted above was AURORA blue, not BSB. I mentioned that AB stained a cart, pipette, and cleaning tool every bit as badly as BSB is said to stain, and no one treats AB as nuclear waste.

My AB is from a recent sample bottle. I can't control or determine what batches samples come from. Nor can anyone else.

I agree that BSB is best in a dedicated, inexpensive pen.
    Your mentioning that you got the AB in a sample, just gave me the idea that perhaps the BSB also came from samples. No many of the 'help! BSB ruined my pen' posts mention anything of whether the ink was from a sample/old batch/new batch, etc.

Like you say, there are other brands of ink that can do just as good a job at staining pens as BSB, but nobody ever posts that the ink ruined their pen.
    Just like the old iron gall inks could ruin a pen, I have bought, cleaned and used many old German pens that were probably never cleaned in their lifetimes and were fed a diet of Pelikan or whatever blue black and still work perfectly after a clean out.

Perhaps the new synthetic dyes in the modern inks that are more harmful to the pen than the old stuff.

Thanks

I wouldn't be surprised. People also seem to treat IG inks as poison, but maybe they are not.

Thanks

I mentioned that AB stained a cart, pipette, and cleaning tool every bit as badly as BSB is said to stain, and no one treats AB as nuclear waste.
    1. I think, at least in the representative sample on the forums, that far, far fewer people use AB than BSB. You may not see problems reported with AB, but you also certainly don't see people touting it's innate incredibleness as you do the League of Fanbois and Grrlls of BSB.

2. Since you mention your staining, have you heard of *anyone* reporting a similar problem with AB? I'm curious, because I am totally committed to Aurora Black, and I've considered giving the Blue a try.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I mentioned that AB stained a cart, pipette, and cleaning tool every bit as badly as BSB is said to stain, and no one treats AB as nuclear waste.
    1. I think, at least in the representative sample on the forums, that far, far fewer people use AB than BSB. You may not see problems reported with AB, but you also certainly don't see people touting it's innate incredibleness as you do the League of Fanbois and Grrlls of BSB.

2. Since you mention your staining, have you heard of *anyone* reporting a similar problem with AB? I'm curious, because I am totally committed to Aurora Black, and I've considered giving the Blue a try.
    Nope. Haven't, but then this is my first exoerience with AB, and I,ve read reviews, and no one mentions staining either.

I am indeed wondering whether the AB formula has changed, because everyone also says it has a purple cast, but mine reads turquoise.

And since it is growing on me, I've changed its status from Nemesis Ink to Use Only In Certain Pens.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 5th, 2013), Jon Szanto (June 5th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Nope. Haven't, but then this is my first exoerience with AB, and I,ve read reviews, and no one mentions staining either.

I am indeed wondering whether the AB formula has changed, because everyone also says it has a purple cast, but mine reads turquoise.

And since it is growing on me, I've changed its status from Nemesis Ink to Use Only In Certain Pens.
    Turquoise??? You sure have a different formula then!! Mine is like 4001 royal bleu, but richer.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

By coincidence, I just spilled some Aurora Blue this afternoon. It cleaned up very nicely.

It's an ink I've used for years, out of different bottles, and never had staining. It is also never been turquoise for me. It's a standard blue, pretty close to Montblanc Royal Blue and similar to Pelikan Royal Blue or Waterman Serenity Blue. The bottle I'm using now I got a few months ago.

I don't know if your sample is wonky or a different ink. But it doesn't sound like Aurora Blue to me in color or behavior. YMMV.

Thanks

Intriguing!

My AB leans more turquoise on certain papers, too. And stainy-wainy. As in, This Pipette Will Never Be The Same.

Thanks

Sounds like a bad batch. I remember about a year ago a big to-do about Omas Blue coming out with some really odd formulas, very different. Happened to be at a time I got a sample from Goulets, and people were posting "Whoa! This can't be right." I ended up not ordering any because it didn't sound like they were going to try to sort it out any time soon.

It happens, I think.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

And the funny thing is, it's grown on me.