Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noodler's Baystate blue just ruined my Ahab! Help!

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler's Baystate blue just ruined my Ahab! Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    And the funny thing is, it's grown on me.
    Sounds like a fungus or mold.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Tried both and AB did not stain my test pen. Did not like it though as it is pretty close to BSB. It is just too purple for my taste.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

jor412

So, thus far, the list of scary staining inks is: 1) BSB, 2) Kung Te-Cheung, 3) Aurora Blue.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

And the funny thing is, it's grown on me.
    I want a writing sample of this "Aurora Blue" you have!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    So, thus far, the list of scary staining inks is: 1) BSB, 2) Kung Te-Cheung.
    FIFY

C'mon, people, let's put our thinking caps on! Precisely *one* person mentioned a staining problem with Aurora Blue, and then mentioned it was a sample, and then when describing the color, noted elements of the ink that others who have used it for a long time thought odd. A scenario like that is hardly the kind of info to start adding it to a "please avoid" list.

This is precisely how rumors and innuendo get started. BSB has a long-documented history of being a problematic ink. Not even remotely same case for Aurora Blue, so let's keep our sanity about all of this.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 6th, 2013), manoeuver (June 7th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    So, thus far, the list of scary staining inks is: 1) BSB, 2) Kung Te-Cheung.
    FIFY

C'mon, people, let's put our thinking caps on! Precisely *one* person mentioned a staining problem with Aurora Blue, and then mentioned it was a sample, and then when describing the color, noted elements of the ink that others who have used it for a long time thought odd. A scenario like that is hardly the kind of info to start adding it to a "please avoid" list.

This is precisely how rumors and innuendo get started. BSB has a long-documented history of being a problematic ink. Not even remotely same case for Aurora Blue, so let's keep our sanity about all of this.
    Besides, you will note I just refilled the Lamy ABC the AB was in. If the cart wants to be blue let it. I just wouldn't put this sample stuff in a light-colored pen I didn't want stained.

I will see if I can take a shot of the stained ink pipette, though.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Those plastic pipettes and ink cartridges are meant to be disposable and are likely made from a material different from the plastics used in pen barrels. So I wouldn't necessarily conclude anything from their being stained by AB.

Thanks

While Kung Te-cheng does stain nibs (apparently) I wouldn't want people to put it on a list of inks to avoid. The manufacturer gives a full disclosure and provides a dedicated pen for it. It's a great ink and I always have a pen in my rotation inked with it. Amongst other things, due to its bulletproof qualities, I address all of my correspondence with it.

There are others that will say similar things about BSB -I can't because I've never used it.

And Ottoman Azure stains my hands more than any other ink I have used; but it does flush out of pens.
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cedargirl View Post

And Ottoman Azure stains my hands more than any other ink I have used; but it does flush out of pens.
    So True!!! Ottoman Azure has never stained my pens, and I can wash it off paper... but my fingers there's still a stain on my thumb from three days ago.

jor412

Well I'd like a list of inks that have stained pens, not a list of inks to avoid. I'd also like a list of pens that are prone to staining, whether because of the material or design or manufacturing.

Some of us are particular about ink staining their pens & some aren't.

MisterBoll

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MisterBoll For This Useful Post:

CapeClear (June 7th, 2013), dr.grace (June 7th, 2013), fountainpenkid (June 8th, 2013), Jon Szanto (June 7th, 2013), mhphoto (June 14th, 2013), Sailor Kenshin (June 7th, 2013)

Thanks

I use both BSB and Kung Te Chung, and BSB far more often. Just can't quit that eye-searing blue. I have an Aurora Style dedicated to it. I used to syringe-fill the converter, but now I just dip in the bottle to fill with impunity. Has the feed got a blue sheen? Yes, but I don't mind it. This rotation I've had it inked for about 5 weeks now - pen writes without problems, even after a couple of days of non-use.

I've never had an issue with flushing out KTC either.

Thanks

I have used only samples of BSB but it never really stained anything I used it in (Preppy demo, Lamy Safari). I loved the colour. I used in in a Safari *gasp* even though people say it eats their feeds. I managed to get through a converter in 2 days so it wasn't hanging around. The only reason I haven't bought more is because it's stupidly expensive to have it shipped to Ireland. Never had an issue before with Aurora Blue either. Pen hygiene ftw.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Moral of the story seems to be:
    Use BSB only in a pen you don't mind getting ruined if the ink doesn't agree with its innards.
    +1

Makes sense to me. Any ink I'm the least bit concerned about gets put in a cheap pen (in my case, Pilot 78G).

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I kept Baystate Blue in a blue demo Pelikan M205 for over a year. It was the first ink ever put in that pen; I think I flushed it two or three times, but otherwise just used it regularly and refilled with Baystate Blue. When I finished my stash of BSB, I decided not to buy another bottle--I have too many other inks that need to be used!!--and so I flushed the Pelikan thoroughly, soaked it, flushed it some more, and soaked the nib unit for a few days. The pen is a little bit stained but otherwise unharmed.

Thanks

Um...I don't care if an ink stains a converter. They are easily replaced.

Thanks

I think Noodler's American Eel Blue is also a nice bright blue without all the headaches from BSB. I was in my local pen shop when this color was first released and the sample swatch the store displayed really caught my eye, but I went with another color. Soooooooo glad I did. Store had no warnings posted anywhere about the staining problems of this ink.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Well...my association with BSB has ended.

PM me if you want samples and the pen I've used it in. Too traumatized to speak further! ;p
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I havea dedicated TWSBI with 1.5 mm stub...nil issues thus far. Bleaching it helps.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I mentioned that AB stained a cart, pipette, and cleaning tool every bit as badly as BSB is said to stain, and no one treats AB as nuclear waste.
    1. I think, at least in the representative sample on the forums, that far, far fewer people use AB than BSB. You may not see problems reported with AB, but you also certainly don't see people touting it's innate incredibleness as you do the League of Fanbois and Grrlls of BSB.

2. Since you mention your staining, have you heard of *anyone* reporting a similar problem with AB? I'm curious, because I am totally committed to Aurora Black, and I've considered giving the Blue a try.
    Nope. Haven't, but then this is my first exoerience with AB, and I,ve read reviews, and no one mentions staining either.

I am indeed wondering whether the AB formula has changed, because everyone also says it has a purple cast, but mine reads turquoise.

And since it is growing on me, I've changed its status from Nemesis Ink to Use Only In Certain Pens.
    Could the ink you used by any chance actually be Platinum's Aurora Blue, and not Aurora brand blue? Because Platinum's Aurora Blue definitely stains, and I'm sure I've read of it staining for other people as well. Aurora Blue, however, washes away quite easily for me.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Honey Mustard For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (July 13th, 2013)