Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Noodler's Baystate blue just ruined my Ahab! Help!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Default Re: Noodler's Baystate blue just ruined my Ahab! Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Mustard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I mentioned that AB stained a cart, pipette, and cleaning tool every bit as badly as BSB is said to stain, and no one treats AB as nuclear waste.
    1. I think, at least in the representative sample on the forums, that far, far fewer people use AB than BSB. You may not see problems reported with AB, but you also certainly don't see people touting it's innate incredibleness as you do the League of Fanbois and Grrlls of BSB.

2. Since you mention your staining, have you heard of *anyone* reporting a similar problem with AB? I'm curious, because I am totally committed to Aurora Black, and I've considered giving the Blue a try.
    Nope. Haven't, but then this is my first exoerience with AB, and I,ve read reviews, and no one mentions staining either.

I am indeed wondering whether the AB formula has changed, because everyone also says it has a purple cast, but mine reads turquoise.

And since it is growing on me, I've changed its status from Nemesis Ink to Use Only In Certain Pens.
    Could the ink you used by any chance actually be Platinum's Aurora Blue, and not Aurora brand blue? Because Platinum's Aurora Blue definitely stains, and I'm sure I've read of it staining for other people as well. Aurora Blue, however, washes away quite easily for me.

I think you are brilliant.

Because I got the sample a long time ago and Aurora Blue is all it says, I can't be a hundred percent certain, but I bet you're right!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I've got a bottle of Aurora Blue (NOT Platinum's Aurora Blue) that has gone into lots of different pens. Never had a problem with staining at all.

I also have a bottle of BSB that has also gone into a lot of different pens. Yes, it can stain pens (and fingers, and clothes...), but I've never had an issue with it eating a pen (Lamy Safari, 2 Preppys, Pilot Vanishing Point, and TWSBI 540). I have decided to dedicate my TWSBI 540 to the ink on the recommendation from Philip Wang at TWSBI that he uses BSB in a 540, and hasn't had staining issues.

I personally love BSB. It's my favorite color by far. If you are willing to deal with its issues, it's a good ink, but if you don't want to take the time it requires, i suggest staying away. There are hundreds of colors out there.

Thanks

I'd had a sample of BSB for a long time but trepidation had kept me from using it 'til a couple of days ago. I had a Reform 1745 whose piston was already stuck—please don't tell me to try silicone grease, I promise that I already have—and had already bought a replacement, plus the ink windows on those are already blue, so I thought, "What the heck?" and inked it up. So far I am loving it. It's only been a couple days, though, so probably too early for any problems to manifest.

Thanks

I second that! Plus it's an Ahab not a Montblac, just buy another if having a crystal clear window matters so much.

Thanks

I ordered a sample of the dreaded BSB from Goulet strictly because of the controversial properties of the ink. I only own inexpensive pens, but they are all still precious to me.

I first inked a Noodler's Konrad with BSB. Using a 1.1 Goulet nib, I found, as previously mentioned, too much violet and not enough shading for my taste. The pen was utilized for three days, cleaned thoroughly and then filled with PR Chocolat. I have had no problems at all with the pen during, or after. In fact, I had more problems with this pen and nib combination using Liberty's Elysium...to be fair, the problem was my own. I hadn't properly adjusted the feed and nib.

I also BSB'd my Pilot Metropolitan. Used the Con50 converter and an italic nib from a Plumix...again...no tears. The Met found its way back to Noodler's Black, with nary a tinge of blue anywhere. A weak bleach solution proved to be the trick.

I did, as ever, read almost every review of BSB prior to ordering the sample. I had seen all the videos and read how toxic this ink was to be. As such, I thoroughly cleaned both pens before inking with BSB. Ink hides everywhere in and around the feed, at the section joint, at the back of the piston, etc. I suspect, though I make no accusations, that some of us are not as thorough as we think we are in our research or our preparatory cleaning.

Both pens still perform flawlessly, and find their way to my shirt pocket several days each week...coordinating with my shoes, of course. (Is that ridiculous?)

Correspondence achieved through the Apple-brand, wireless, telecommunication device belonging to yours truly.

Thanks

This is what a brief section-soaking in BSB did to my BSB pen. Never before had this happened; I always pop the section in water for an hour, or even overnight. Shown with a Normal Peli Jr. to compare.

Baystate Blue! Yer soakin' innit.

Sort of resembles a custom paint job.

Thanks

BSB is known to stain, and is tricky to handle. Not worth my effort, especially since the color is so bright that I don't want to read more than a signature.

When I returned to using fountain pens, I asked for Sheaffer Blue in the "topwell" bottle. A clerk looked sad, explained that Sheaffer had moved production, changed the ink formula, and changed the bottle.

"OK", I said. "Everybody says that Noodlers Baystate Blue is like magic. A must have".

Clerk shrugged, said "Ink is ink".

Thanks

This is what a brief section-soaking in BSB did to my BSB pen. Never before had this happened; I always pop the section in water for an hour, or even overnight. Shown with a Normal Peli Jr. to compare.

Baystate Blue! Yer soakin' innit.

Sort of resembles a custom paint job.
    I sort of like the looks of the stain...very custom. Bleach and water would not pull the stain after a 20 min soak?

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

I didn't even try...partly because I kinda sorta almost like how the stain looks, lol.

Thanks

I'm guilty of not reading reviews of inks before I try them. I typically do this with things I want to try out because I don't want the opinions of others to color my judgement.
    However, because of BSB, I'm going to start reading reviews before I stick them in one of my pens.

I had the ink in my 1.5mm Pilot Parallel pen for about 48 hours and it stained the converter and the barrel around the feed. While cleaning them out, watery BSB splashed around the sink and stained it. When I heard it stains, I thought it wouldn't be as instantaneous as a splash. Oh well. Live and Learn, and avoid BSB like the plague! (at least for me)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

On non-porous surfaces (like your sink), think of it more like paint. You need the right "thinner". That "thinner" is isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Moisten a paper towel with isopropyl alcohol, and much of it will wipe off easily. I once tested this on a laminate countertop. Worked perfectly. BSB isn't very tough, really. It just stands up to soap and water (and ammonia) quite well. It will also wear off in a matter of days. In other words, there's nothing permanent about BSB on non-porous surfaces.

Unfortunately, plastic can be permeable to some substances. Permanent tinting is possible (not just with BSB--some Diamine Blues can also stain certain plastics). Many, many pens, BTW, are NOT alcohol-safe (the pens will dissolve, or at least things will start coming apart), so alcohol should not be used to clean pens, generally. Having said that, I have used isopropyl alcohol to purge a Hero or Jinhao pen of BSB that I knew to be safe for alcohol. It's amazing the way you can clean a pens as thoroughly as you want, even in an ultrasonic cleaner, and think that what's left is a permanent stain, but if it is an alcohol-safe pen, see it just let go and wash away. This is one thing that bothers me a lot about BSB, not that it "stains sinks", but that once I use it in a pen, it will be very hard to eradicate it completely, to the point that there can be no interaction with the next ink I want to use in that pen. The advice to dedicate a pen to BSB is good advice for that reason at least.
    --
    Mike

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (February 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Use bleach. The staining is minimal if you clean with 50% water and 50% bleach.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

As someone who has used textile dyes for decades, I often wonder which dye was used in BSB, because I think I recognize both its color and its staining properties (which actually aren't ususual for textile dyes) as one of the dyes I use frequently.

Idle curiosity aside, if you don't want to use chlorine bleach to clean up a pen or work area, an oxygen bleach like Oxyclean or household cleaner "with bleach" will do the job quickly. Or the "Chlorox II" types of laundry bleaches. A solution of any of them should remove the color near instantly, at minimal risk of damaging plastic pen parts.

Last suggestion is hydrogen peroxide, which is commonly found in first aid kits. It's another oxygen bleach, but quite dilute. Theoretically it should work, but I don't know if its dilution is strong enough to affect the dye in BSB.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elaineb For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (February 23rd, 2015), sharmon202 (February 21st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    On non-porous surfaces (like your sink), think of it more like paint. You need the right "thinner". That "thinner" is isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Moisten a paper towel with isopropyl alcohol, and much of it will wipe off easily. I once tested this on a laminate countertop. Worked perfectly. BSB isn't very tough, really. It just stands up to soap and water (and ammonia) quite well. It will also wear off in a matter of days. In other words, there's nothing permanent about BSB on non-porous surfaces.

Unfortunately, plastic can be permeable to some substances. Permanent tinting is possible (not just with BSB--some Diamine Blues can also stain certain plastics). Many, many pens, BTW, are NOT alcohol-safe (the pens will dissolve, or at least things will start coming apart), so alcohol should not be used to clean pens, generally. Having said that, I have used isopropyl alcohol to purge a Hero or Jinhao pen of BSB that I knew to be safe for alcohol. It's amazing the way you can clean a pens as thoroughly as you want, even in an ultrasonic cleaner, and think that what's left is a permanent stain, but if it is an alcohol-safe pen, see it just let go and wash away. This is one thing that bothers me a lot about BSB, not that it "stains sinks", but that once I use it in a pen, it will be very hard to eradicate it completely, to the point that there can be no interaction with the next ink I want to use in that pen. The advice to dedicate a pen to BSB is good advice for that reason at least.
    Ethyl alcohol works well too. In recent years people have become rather paranoid about cleaning their hands, to the point that there is now available large quantities of hand sanitizer, which is alcohol in gel. It could be isopropyl, or ethanol, depending on where you are. The gel holds the alcohol to the stain and virtually no rubbing is needed. I just apply a drop to the stain, leave for a couple seconds and wipe off. This method means that you use less alcohol, because it is not instantly evaporating.

This is a problem with many violets and pinks as well.

I agree on the dedicated pen idea. I have one single Regal pen that I use only BSB in. There are inks much worse than BSB for not playing well with others. Private Reserve Hot Bubble Gum is the single most staining, high maintenance, non-friendly ink I have used. On the instructions they tell you to dedicate a pen to it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (February 23rd, 2015)