Thread: De Atramentis Document Ink Blue (permanent ink)

Thanks

Default De Atramentis Document Ink Blue (permanent ink)

De Atramentis Dokument Tinte Blau / Document Ink Blue

Dear FPGeeks

This time an ink review of a very special ink. De Atramentis Document Blue.

This ink is mentioned for doctors, lawyers etc. and for all who need a permanent ink for official Documents

To be qualified as a document ink the ink has to meet certain standards. The standard in Europe is ISO 12757-2. This means that the ink has to be lightfast and may not be influenced by any outer influences.

To show you the resilience of the inks I have poured several aggressive Fluids over it and…
    Nothing happened. It is like if the ink was carved in stone…. Amazing…

It is not only bulletproof but also bombproof … I believe the ink even survives a nuclear accident or bomb attack (sorry for not testing that )

The ink is extremely lightfast. This is tested and certified with the Woll-Skala, wool scale in English.
    This may sound peculiar, but isn’t that strange on second glance. In history quite often the same pigments used for Dyeing wool where used for inks as well.

The Woll-Skala reaches from 1 not lightfast over 5 extremely lightfast to 8 extreme lightfast. The ink “of course” is WS 8.

There are other resilient inks like inks based on iron gall or soot. The problem is that iron gall inks are very aggressive to both paper and nib. (the paper of old Dutch documents from the golden age are often eaten away partially by the ink) Both iron gall and soot inks may also clog the feed of your fountain pen.

The De Atramentis inks are, as far as I understand, made with nano-particles. According to the noble Fountain Pen King Sire Richard of Binderheart. Nano-particle inks can be safely used in Fountain pens.

I always have one Fountain Pen filled with the ink for work and flush it once every 2 months… No problem at all

Down here are the technical specs

points 1-5 1 = Bad 5= Excellent

Fountain Pens: Sheaffer Targa F, “online Best Writer 0,8 Italic, Lamy Joy 1,5 Itaic
    Paper: Leonardo Ringbuch,average quality school note book made in Austria
    Drying time: Quicker than a camel’s bottom during a desert stroll points 5
    Flow: like a Hippie on LSD points: 5
    Wetness: very wet still drying fast points 5
    Lubrication: very smooth points: 5
    Bleeding: medium on average quality paper with ‘normal’ nib points: 3
    Shading: almost none points: 1
    Waterproof: what do you think points 5000000
    Package: bottles only Points: 3
    Availabilty: EU Excellent www.lacouronneducomte.nl DA Webshop www.de-atramentis.com points: 5 USA www.gouletpns.com Australia www.larrypost.com.au
    Quality: Handmade in Germany everlasting points 5

To Conclude
    A very good dark blue ink, it is a bit too dark for my taste. Funnily the dark blue obiously even darker but I find the colour nicer.

Shading is absent.

Verdict: a very nice bombproof ink for all official purposes.

I will post reviews of all (ready mixed) De Atramentis bombproof document inks soon. I will also publish a review of the DA Document CMYK inks and special thinning agent. With this you can mix every permanent colour you like

Have fun

Peter
    Last edited by Morbus Curiositas; October 13th, 2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: wrong email adress goulet

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Morbus Curiositas For This Useful Post:

Brisboy (October 13th, 2014), caribbean_skye (October 13th, 2014), carlos.q (October 13th, 2014), Dreck (February 14th, 2015), Jeph (October 13th, 2014), Jon Szanto (October 13th, 2014), Laura N (October 13th, 2014), rdcalhoon (October 13th, 2014), RuiFromUK (October 13th, 2014), Silverbreeze (October 13th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: De Atramentis Document Ink Blue (permanent ink)

Out of curiosity, did the ink flood the nib? (sorry if I'm using the wrong terms here... kinda new to the technical aspects of FPs)

I believe I have the Red version of this blue in a TWSBI 580 EF.
    After writing with the pen for less than a minute, the entire back of the nib is flooded with the ink. You can even hold the pen nib down and watch it flood in, and the reverse with nib up. It's pretty neat to watch, but worrisome to me as I haven't seen this behavior with either the J. Herbin rosewater scented Red or the Diamine Wild Strawberry.

I'm trying to determine if it's the fault of the ink or the nib (I may have damaged it when I screwed it back on after cleaning). I've been leery of storing it on its side for any length of time, so I've been wandering around the office with it clipped to the front of my shirt, which probably looks mildly disturbing as the pen barrel is clear and the ink looks a tad bit like blood due to how opaque it is.

[UPDATE]
    So I found out that part of the problem was the nib. I put in another ink (Diamine Poppy Red) and it had the same issue, which made me think it was a nib problem and not an ink problem. I ran the nib under hot water for about 10-15 seconds (just long enough to get the metal warmer than room temp) and pressed down on it to make it more flush with the feed. This seemed to fix the flooding issue!

Now that I have the nib fixed, I'll try the Document Red again!
    Last edited by naimitsu; February 17th, 2015 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks

naimitsu I am having a similar experience with the ink being very liquid. For now it's in my last TWSBI and the nib has nibcreap, but it is a phenomenal ink. 7

Thanks

Please don't pour talisker whisky on the ink, probably grain whisky would give the same results?
    Great review, although I am new to inks, having just bought first ink in quarter of a century that wasn't Quink

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chopmonkee For This Useful Post:

Sammyo (February 20th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chopmonkee View Post
    Please don't pour talisker whisky on the ink, probably grain whisky would give the same results?
    Great review, although I am new to inks, having just bought first ink in quarter of a century that wasn't Quink
    I was going to say the same thing... such a waste!
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

I've been using the dark blue variety for the past couple of weeks and I absolutely love it. I see nothing in its behavior to be concerned about.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

You could have a look at some other tortures (ejem tests) in this forum
    http://www.relojes-especiales.com/fo...olores-351444/