Thread: Questions about Pilot urushi pens

Thanks

Default Questions about Pilot urushi pens

Recently I thought about getting an urushi pen, one of the cheaper ones. I saw sakura for size #5, and it looks like a normal size #5 nib, so I think I could use it interchangeably with my other size 5 nibs. Then I thought I saw a very good price on the dragon size 10 one, which I would love to put my PO nib in. But the nib looks a little different (the fuji one) and I'm not sure it's actually interchangeable. And that pen has a brass body, which makes me a little scared it will be back weighted. So I cancelled the order to think it over more.

1: What can you compare the feeling of urushi to? That's the main curious point for me. Is it just like rubber in texture? People say the word 'warm' for anything not plastic or metal, but it doesn't give me much sense. Is the fact that it is urushi an important tactile point, or do you just forget about it?

2: Is the size 10 dragon balance similar to 823? I think they weigh a similar amount, because of the metal rod in the 823. If the balance is the same, I find the 823 too back weighted for me, because the section is still plastic (and I think the urushi pen's section is plastic too). This is the main point that made me think I should just cancel it.

3: As I understand it, the size 5 sakura is resin coated with urushi. That's actually a strong point, although I can never put my favourite PO nib in the pen because it is size 5. I have a few size 5 nibs I know are working well I could put in if I didn't like the one that came in the sakura.

For me, the strong point is not really the art on the pen. It's okay that it's silk screened. I have a hard time telling how much of the designs are cultural, and how much they are just stereotyping. I don't have much affinity for the designs that I could find at a good price. So I'm interested in mainly in the tactile feel of it, because all my pens are plastic, so I thought it could be nice if I find an urushi pen I can swap my favourite nibs into.

So I want to know, those who own pens like this, do you forget the material it is made of when writing with it? Does it just go into your collection never to be used more than a few times, because of one gripe or another? I understand why the material is expensive, but I want to know if it looks and feels nicer, how it changes the experience of holding a pen. Does the section being plastic ruin the effect?

Thank you so much for your time.
    Last edited by Zou; July 20th, 2019 at 06:27 PM.