Thread: Replacement of a C-ring on Swan E444

Thanks

Default Replacement of a C-ring on Swan E444

Good morning everyone. For my UK friends, hope your enjoying the heat! Im a newbie at repair so apologies in advance but it doesn't appear straightforward to me.....

I need info on how to replace a c-ring on this Swan pen. Ive got some piano wire to fashion a new ring, but on this pen, the lever seems permanently attached to the pressure bar. its not like I can fashion a new ring to the lever, lower through the bar, and twist into place as I have seen described elsewhere because of the attached bar. If I remove the bar, I can't see how I can reattach it once the lever is in the barrel. Help?

Is there a good image based source of how this lever mechanism all fits back together? I understand that you slide the second part of the bar onto the first via the grooved ridge, but even with it now all out of the pen it's a very tight fit and Im wondering if it's been misshapen, or if I have the correct bits?

Thanks in advance

David

Thanks
    Thanked 10,452 Times in 4,002 Posts

Default Re: Replacement of a C-ring on Swan E444

In the event that neither of them comes along and sees this post FPG members Cob or Deb are the UK repairers to ask.

It was blisteringly hot yesterday, but cooled down a little today. We even had a couple of spots of rain a few moments ago.....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

buddman (July 26th, 2019)

Thanks

I did this by finding a spring of similar diameter to the barrel. Cut a C loop out of it and slipped it to the hole in the lever while it was attached to the pressure bar. then I taped a string to the end of the lever and snaked it through the barrel and out the lever box hole (to help me guide and pull the lever through). The trickiest step was inserting the whole apparatus, especially the C-ring, into the barrel. I found I had to bend it a bit because it was too wide, and then (most importantly) used a thin wooden dowel to push it down into the barrel towards the lever bar opening. It really was not too difficult and it worked like a charm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.X View Post
    I did this by finding a spring of similar diameter to the barrel. Cut a C loop out of it and slipped it to the hole in the lever while it was attached to the pressure bar. then I taped a string to the end of the lever and snaked it through the barrel and out the lever box hole (to help me guide and pull the lever through). The trickiest step was inserting the whole apparatus, especially the C-ring, into the barrel. I found I had to bend it a bit because it was too wide, and then (most importantly) used a thin wooden dowel to push it down into the barrel towards the lever bar opening. It really was not too difficult and it worked like a charm.
    Interesting. Did you have this 2 piece pressure bar as well? If so did you assemble it all before inserting it into the barrel?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

I'm sorry to say that this is something I've never had to do so can't offer any advice. Cob will probably be able to help. I think he's away for a day or two but will probably look in soon.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.X View Post
    Well, 2 hours of my life I will never get back and super fiddly, but it worked! Slight variation to your theme in that I didn’t use a string, but held the pressure bar with long needle pliers to position it up the tube. The hardest part was trying to position the new bent piano wire c-ring. I did as you suggested, using a thin wooden kitchen skewer which I had marked at a measured barrel depth, from the barrel opening to the c- ring grove inside. I pushed the ring along with the skewer and it popped into place after a few ( many) tries and a few different goes at c-ring sizes.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me

I now just unsure if there is supposed to be 2 pressure bars in it? The one that is permanently attached to the lever is obvious, but what does the second one do? I think it’s not needed and someone else was attempting a naff repair ..
    Last edited by buddman; July 27th, 2019 at 01:25 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to buddman For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 27th, 2019)