Thread: Who values these anyway?

Thanks

Default Who values these anyway?

I sometimes scroll the fp auctions on invaluable. Omas arco bronze, 1993, said to be in good condition -- estimated price $100-200. Nice if you can get it -- the bidding is presently $500.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lo...pen-8444a0cb2e

2. The Following User Says Thank You to empliau For This Useful Post:

Robert (July 27th, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: Who values these anyway?

Valuer: This one will probably go for at least a grand. I'll list it at $1000-$2000

Website maintainer (later): $2000 for a fountain pen!? That has to be a mistake. Lemme fix that...
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by empliau View Post
    I sometimes scroll the fp auctions on invaluable. Omas arco bronze, 1993, said to be in good condition -- estimated price $100-200. Nice if you can get it -- the bidding is presently $500.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lo...pen-8444a0cb2e
    For your consideration...Contact the auction house and ask who does the appraisals for fine pens.....
    Thanks for letting us know about Invaluable auctions.....
    Fred
    "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others."
    ~ Orwell

Thanks

It's intersting to see what the auction ends with. Omas is one of the sought after brands, and I have no problems seeing mint condition pens going for quite a lot. I don't think they are made anymore, neither in Italy or China. I'm not sure where the last productions were made. I have yet to try an Omas so I can't say anything about them. I know limited edition pens go for high sums, any of the known brands, easily mulitple times $500. For some models there seem to be no upper limit when it comes to price, it's like it's part of the game. On the other hand, they aren't always easy to sell at top prices, it's all about reaching the right person. So who values them? Seller and maker for one thing, the effort to make the luxury brand and quality aims at a marked and a price to start with; but in the long run, buyer, collector and end user have a lot to say in the matter. Celluloid and precious resin are more expensive plastics than polyester and acryl, but doesn't amount to much in it self. There is just small piece of gold in the nib, the vaule lies some where else. I wonder how the value will stay on these pens; they are no longer in production, and I know other colectable items and antiques have manage to increase in value for decades, then suddenly drop, others seem to stay more stable. From a sellers point of view there are noticeable trends in the marked.

Thanks

While that 1993 Omas looks interesting, I did a little research on the auction site and found the reviews "mixed" - to say the least. Maybe legit, but as in all things, Caveat Emptor: http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/invaluable.com

Thanks

I spent a good part of my life selling and buying fine art through Sotheby's or Christie’s. Look at the reserve and the actual sale price received. Look at the description VERY carefully. There are those who fall for the hype of an auction no matter what auction house it is. Just look at everything cautiously.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    While that 1993 Omas looks interesting, I did a little research on the auction site and found the reviews "mixed" - to say the least. Maybe legit, but as in all things, Caveat Emptor: http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/invaluable.com
    Invaluable is an aggregator of auction sites. I've bought three lots in the last year from two sellers; all were good. Still, it is best to check the reputation (and perhaps return policy) of the individual auction house or vendor selling.