Thread: Shape of the receptacle for a Desk Pen?

Thanks

Default Shape of the receptacle for a Desk Pen?

This may be a frequent question. I'm sorry if so; a thoughtful search returned too many responses to be useful.

I bought a 30-40's Desk Pen which does not include its original receptacle. I would like to put it away over night or over a week and have it ready to write when I grab it again. It will be easy for me to machine a holder or a "cap" that behaves like a holder, though turning a reamer to bore a narrow inside taper could be something of a challenge.

So can someone give me an idea of the general principle here? I might guess that the desk holder is a cone and forms a seal with the leading rim of the section. But this is a place where someones actual experience would be way better than my guess. Your advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Re: Shape of the receptacle for a Desk Pen?

Those I've seen are cone shaped or even cap shaped (as the Montblanc 149 desk stand.) Something that the pen fits down safely into without fouling the nib and forms a decent enough seal to prevent it from drying out as you suggest.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pointpergame View Post
    This may be a frequent question. I'm sorry if so; a thoughtful search returned too many responses to be useful.

I bought a 30-40's Desk Pen which does not include its original receptacle. I would like to put it away over night or over a week and have it ready to write when I grab it again. It will be easy for me to machine a holder or a "cap" that behaves like a holder, though turning a reamer to bore a narrow inside taper could be something of a challenge.

So can someone give me an idea of the general principle here? I might guess that the desk holder is a cone and forms a seal with the leading rim of the section. But this is a place where someones actual experience would be way better than my guess. Your advice greatly appreciated.
    The size of a desk pen's trumpet/tulip/sheath varies by brand and model. If they don't match, the tip of the nib might drop against the bottom of the trumpet - not good! Or there might be no seal to prevent drying out if the inside diameter is too small or large for the pen. Some are threaded (e.g., Sheaffer Triumph and Montblanc 149) for a tighter seal.

If you are serious about a desire to prevent drying out, you should identify the brand and model of your desk pen and try to match the base and trumpet to it. There are sources, and desk pens (especially bases) can be had for little expense.

IMG_2428.jpg
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 22nd, 2021 at 02:00 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

amk (May 24th, 2021), RWS (May 24th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (May 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. it helps to confirm my assumptions. The concept of "Tulip" is helpful.

The pen is an Eversharp Doric. I've never seen an Eversharp desk stand on Ebay. If there are other resources I'd be happy to hear about them.
    As I mentioned, the creation of a cone in, say, Delrin will be a challenge. A conical reamer should do the trick. Whether I have to turn it from scratch is TBD.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pointpergame View Post
    ...The pen is an Eversharp Doric....
    Wahl-Eversharp made some of the handsomest, striking and original desk pens in the '20s and '30s. (The photo in my previous post above happens to be one of my Wahl-Eversharp desk pens.) A search of "Wahl-Eversharp desk" on eBay turns up many examples, though none also include "Doric," at least today. If you aren't picky about the correct tulip and base, any with the correct inside diameter and depth will work, so long as it creates a semblance of a seal and prevents the nib from bottoming out.

If you want a correct matching Doric tulip and base, I suggest you ask Syd Saperstein for guidance at https://www.pensburymanor.com. Bob Novak has said he has more desk pens stashed away than he can possibly bring to pen shows. Ask him at http://www.nycpens.com. They will want to know the dimension and color of your pen in the event they have something to offer. You could also post a query in the Wahl-Eversharp sub-forums here and on FPN.

My Doric desk pen appears in the following photo. On closer examination, I suggest you seek the correct tulip, because its design prevents the pen's facets from interfering with a seal.

IMG_3927.jpg
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 23rd, 2021 at 06:13 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (May 23rd, 2021), pointpergame (May 23rd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (May 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

I have successfully "Franken-penned" (put together random, mis-matched parts) on many desk pens. For me it's trial & error to find a flute that doesn't touch the sides -- which causes the capillary action that makes your ink leak/drip or dry out. The same applies to non-desk pens.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks
    Thanked 7,889 Times in 1,434 Posts

I've got my Wahl Eversharp desk base/tulip from Mark Hoover (thanks to Fred):