Thread: Why this pen is one of my favorites

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Default Why this pen is one of my favorites

Once in a long while, there are pens that just check-off a lot of checkboxes in my checklist. I've been too busy to give this pen a proper showcase. And you'll find out why this pen deserve a special one. Say 'hi' to the Belmont.

Reason #1. The right panel in the collage, the pen has a celluloid that has a pretty red marble pattern, the condition is not bad, not too pristine, but good to excellent, nothing is missing, no chips, all mechanical aspects are in tip-top shape, no unsightly blemish. The clip says: Belmont, which gives us the identity of the pen.

Reason #2. Look at the top left panel. This pen still has the white stuff that they put on the brand engraving. And the engraving is consistent with the brand, Belmont, and it gave us the historical context, this pen was sold exclusively via Rexall drugstore chain stores. Also, since this pen survived probably close to 90 years of existence, I guess it can claim that it's "NON-BREAKABLE".

Reason #3. Look at the mid-left panel, having seen and restored a lot of vintage pens, I have a high-degree of confidence that this pen was made by the Moore Pen Company. I can explain why, but not here. Being a pen that was made by a manufacturer hired by another company (Rexall in this case), typically the nib would either retain the original manufacturer's name, or the manufacturer would make a "generic" one that would say "Warranted 14K". But look, this pen has a nib that says Belmont, just like the barrel and the clip. How many vintage 14K nibs have you seen that says Belmont on it?

Reason #4. Now we arrive at the bottom-left panel. This "Belmont" nib can stand toe-to-toe with a dip nib. The line variation that it can produce is astonishing.

On their own, any of the above reasons are not that rare. But the fact that all those reasons are embodied together in one single pen, that, in my book (and I suspect in many other collector's book), put this pen high up int the totem of "collectible" pens. Plus this pen is not one of the top five popular brand, which makes it even more interesting.
    Last edited by penwash; July 30th, 2019 at 07:51 PM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (July 31st, 2019), AzJon (July 30th, 2019), azkid (July 31st, 2019), carlos.q (July 30th, 2019), catbert (July 30th, 2019), Chrissy (July 31st, 2019), Cyril (March 20th, 2021), Detman101 (August 14th, 2020), dfo (July 31st, 2019), fountainpagan (July 31st, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 1st, 2019), Kaputnik (July 31st, 2019), Lady Onogaro (July 30th, 2019), Malcolm (March 15th, 2021), manoeuver (July 31st, 2019), Marsilius (July 31st, 2019), Pendragon (August 1st, 2019), rickap (July 30th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (July 30th, 2019), SchaumburgSwan (July 30th, 2019), silverlifter (July 30th, 2019), SlowMovingTarget (March 14th, 2021), Turquoise (March 21st, 2021)