Thread: Vanishing Point Raden Finish?

Thanks

Default Vanishing Point Raden Finish?

Hey y’all,
    I read a post online from reddit that the Galaxy Raden finish wore off within a few years. My question is—has anyone else experienced the same thing? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Vanishing Point Raden Finish?

Not to my experience, and I have two of them. Granted I don’t use them every day but I think the finish is pretty resistant.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamtaro84 For This Useful Post:

pocky (August 3rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Reddit.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, did the person who relayed that info describe how the pen was cared for? How it was carried? Was it used in 'rough' environments?

Virtually any pen can be destroyed, and virtually any pen can look like new for decades. The factor to be taken into account is how the pen is utilized and cared for.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

pocky (August 3rd, 2019)

Thanks

Default Vanishing Point Raden Finish?

Hi John, yes Reddit . And yes—the person mentioned using it daily for around 4 years, but not much else. They included a picture below which I found interesting —https://m.imgur.com/a/0ttLc

Last edited by pocky; August 3rd, 2019 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 295 Posts

Raden is a fragile lacquer. The raden particles are sprinkled into wet lacquer.
    If the lacquer was thinned with Oil or Chemicals the urushi is weak and doesn't bind urushi and Raden or when the raden particles are not completely clean, or if the raden particles are not completely surrounded by urushi it can happen, that some of them fall of. Or it can be, that the polishing process was not well done enough.

For things used everyday the polishing process "Uwazuri" should be made as following.

Uwazuri the Traditional Way
    After grinding the surface it is pre-polished gently with some cotton, "Tonoko" a fine clay powder and Rapeseed oil.
    After cleaning properly, transparent urushi is rubbed into the surface and cleaned off completely with paper, then cured for 24 hours in the "Urushimuro" at 75% constant humidity.
    This is repeated 5 to 6 times.
    Then the surface is polished with "Migako" polishing powder, Rapeseed Oil and the fingers.
    Then again properly cleaned and trasparent lacquer is rubbed in as before 2 times.
    Then end polishing takes place as described above.
    Finally the surface is polished with fingers and tonoko without oil

The "Uwazuri" is made to fill micro pores and in the case of Raden the gaps between urushi and raden particles

I have attached pictures of a Saya (Sword Sheeth) made some hundred years ago. These damages come from the wodden core that has shrinked over the years. Solid pen body material dosn't shrink.
    And to be mentioned, that pigmented urrushi is weaker than the black transparent Lacquer "Roiro Nuri" uesd on your pen

_MG_0615.jpg_MG_0616.jpg_MG_0617.jpg_MG_0615.jpg_MG_0616.jpg_MG_0617.jpg

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manupropria For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 5th, 2019), ChrisJ (August 5th, 2019), Robert (August 4th, 2019), RWS (August 6th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pocky View Post
    Hi John, yes Reddit . And yes—the person mentioned using it daily for around 4 years, but not much else. They included a picture below which I found interesting —https://m.imgur.com/a/0ttLc
    My mention was simply to note that reddit users can be... hard on their pens. The photo helps and while it doesn't look like abuse of any kind, it seems that the person may have particularly caustic hand oils and sweat, as it appears the issue is where they grip the pen. Not something I've seen before. It could just be an outlier.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Yes of course! I didn't mean to sound off-putting. I'd never seen it before which is why I posted. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pocky View Post
    My mention was simply to note that reddit users can be... hard on their pens. The photo helps and while it doesn't look like abuse of any kind, it seems that the person may have particularly caustic hand oils and sweat, as it appears the issue is where they grip the pen. Not something I've seen before. It could just be an outlier.

Thanks

Thank you for the informative post! As a side note--the Saya looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Manupropria View Post
    Raden is a fragile lacquer. The raden particles are sprinkled into wet lacquer.
    If the lacquer was thinned with Oil or Chemicals the urushi is weak and doesn't bind urushi and Raden or when the raden particles are not completely clean, or if the raden particles are not completely surrounded by urushi it can happen, that some of them fall of. Or it can be, that the polishing process was not well done enough.

For things used everyday the polishing process "Uwazuri" should be made as following.

Uwazuri the Traditional Way
    After grinding the surface it is pre-polished gently with some cotton, "Tonoko" a fine clay powder and Rapeseed oil.
    After cleaning properly, transparent urushi is rubbed into the surface and cleaned off completely with paper, then cured for 24 hours in the "Urushimuro" at 75% constant humidity.
    This is repeated 5 to 6 times.
    Then the surface is polished with "Migako" polishing powder, Rapeseed Oil and the fingers.
    Then again properly cleaned and trasparent lacquer is rubbed in as before 2 times.
    Then end polishing takes place as described above.
    Finally the surface is polished with fingers and tonoko without oil

The "Uwazuri" is made to fill micro pores and in the case of Raden the gaps between urushi and raden particles

I have attached pictures of a Saya (Sword Sheeth) made some hundred years ago. These damages come from the wodden core that has shrinked over the years. Solid pen body material dosn't shrink.
    And to be mentioned, that pigmented urrushi is weaker than the black transparent Lacquer "Roiro Nuri" uesd on your pen

_MG_0615.jpg_MG_0616.jpg_MG_0617.jpg_MG_0615.jpg_MG_0616.jpg_MG_0617.jpg

Thanks

Martin's insight on these matters never ceases to amaze.