Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three Favorite Writers

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Three Favorite Writers

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Three? Impossible!
    I keep saying: that's just what I chose! I should have titled it "Favorite Writers". Pick as many or as few as you want.

The hilarious part was I didn't post this to start a meme/trend/thread, just to share a couple pics of these three fine pens. NOW look what happened!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Three? Impossible!
    I keep saying: that's just what I chose! I should have titled it "Favorite Writers". Pick as many or as few as you want.

The hilarious part was I didn't post this to start a meme/trend/thread, just to share a couple pics of these three fine pens. NOW look what happened!

Image credit: https://dbmi.hms.harvard.edu/news/its
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 7th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Oh all right! I picked them from what's inked, though the Balance is always No. 1. I just wish my hand could do them justice.

IMG_2331.jpg

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

amk (August 8th, 2019), AzJon (August 8th, 2019), azkid (August 9th, 2019), catbert (August 7th, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 7th, 2019), Kaputnik (August 9th, 2019), penwash (August 8th, 2019), Yazeh (December 28th, 2023)

Thanks

Only two for me. One old and one new...

pens.jpg

And an excuse to show off my gorgeous new case from Lepus Leather.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

amk (August 8th, 2019), azkid (August 9th, 2019), catbert (August 7th, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 7th, 2019), Yazeh (December 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I, for one, am glad to be restricted to just three. It is making me think quite hard about each of the best pens in my collection.

I count myself as fortunate to have found quite a few writers I genuinely enjoy using.

My Parker 51 is, without a doubt, my current favorite.

Picking the other two... That is what has me up all night pacing and mumbling like a crazy person... Kidding! (not entirely kidding).

**wanders away mumbling**...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

penwash (August 8th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

This is probably the most interesting one (as it has a very flexible nib), but in general all my (few) pens are rather humdrum writers.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 8th, 2019), catbert (August 8th, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 8th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

OK here goes. Sure, I have a number of really nice writers but this trio are among my favorites because, after working on them, each is better than when they first came to me.

One of my very first pens, the Parker 51 (bottom) languished in a local antique store with a bent tine. Though new to the hobby I managed to repair it to a usable, but not entirely satisfying, condition. With the benefit of more experience, I recently reshaped the nib again and it is now my very favorite writer. I can't wait to ink it again.

The Wearever (middle) needed a new sac, J bar, and nib. A few moments ago, I also installed an inner cap from an Esterbrook J; the pen had none before. More exciting, the pen is now host to an Eversharp nib, wonderfully ground into a medium stub (by someone else), transforming it into a really fun writer. Can't wait to use it more.

Finally, the Eversharp Skyline (top) writes smoothly in a just-right-for-me, extra fine—but it wasn't always like this. It came to me with a nib worn so perfectly flat it had sharp edges that would tear paper. Much to my great surprise, I managed to grind it into a truly enjoyable nib to write with. I miss having it inked.
    Last edited by azkid; August 8th, 2019 at 12:48 PM.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 10th, 2019), catbert (August 8th, 2019), Empty_of_Clouds (August 8th, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 8th, 2019), Kaputnik (August 9th, 2019), silverlifter (August 8th, 2019)

Thanks

Oh! Oh! Oh! I want to play!

But I have to wait until after work. Gives me time to think about which pens!

Until then: sweet baby of St. Nibius (inky be his name), that Tortoise Platinum is something I need in my life some day.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 8th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Until then: sweet baby of St. Nibius (inky be his name), that Tortoise Platinum is something I need in my life some day.
    Haha! Love the Saint bit! I have bad news, though: the tortoise pairs up real nicely with the callico...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (August 14th, 2019), AzJon (August 8th, 2019), azkid (August 8th, 2019), Kaputnik (August 9th, 2019), silverlifter (August 8th, 2019)

Thanks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 699 Posts

I have a rather large number of pens that I'm happy to use whenever I sit down to write. Saying that any given three are definitely my favorites is difficult, but fortunately, not much is riding on it. These three will do well enough as an example. I probably would not assemble any other group of three without including at least one of them.

Parker Vacumatic. Okay, it's not inked at this moment, but it will be as soon as I've emptied a cartridge pen that I had inked for travel. And that should be today, it's running on fumes.

Mabie Todd Swan 3150. One of a group of lever fillers that I consider completely practical for everyday use, and out of those, this has by far the nicest nib. It is inked, and will probably be refilled as soon as it's empty.

Pilot Custom Heritage 91. The profile of the pen and the FM nib make it indistinguishable from my Custom Heritage 92 in actual use. The 91 is opaque instead of a translucent "smoke" color, and uses a CON-70 converter instead of a built in piston, but it writes just the same. I picked it over the 92, because it's the one that's inked right now.

Some really nice pens in the posts above, by the way. I'm glad I've accepted that I can't have everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 10th, 2019), azkid (August 9th, 2019), catbert (August 9th, 2019), fountainpenkid (January 3rd, 2024), Jon Szanto (August 9th, 2019)

Thanks

Three favorite pens (of the moment):

Wahl Eversharp in the Rosewood ebonite, Signature nib.

Pelikan M700 Toledo with vintage EF flex nib

Aurora Optima Blue Auroloide. Apparently purchased from Lisa Anderson.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 10th, 2019), amk (August 14th, 2019), catbert (August 9th, 2019), FredRydr (August 9th, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 9th, 2019), Kaputnik (August 9th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

...Wahl Eversharp in the Rosewood ebonite, Signature nib.
    Aurora Optima Blue Auroloide....
    Goodness! Those very three are among my favorites (though my Optima is green/turquoise).

Thanks

...Wahl Eversharp in the Rosewood ebonite, Signature nib.
    Aurora Optima Blue Auroloide....
    Goodness! Those very three are among my favorites (though my Optima is green/turquoise).
    I love the green/turquoise one as well. I'd like to pick one of those up some day with a stub nib on it. I've been smitten with the Aurora stubs since I got to try the one Gerry Berg had at his house a few years ago.

Thanks

Oookay, I have a pic now:

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JulieParadise For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 12th, 2019), amk (August 14th, 2019), AzJon (August 12th, 2019), azkid (August 12th, 2019), catbert (August 12th, 2019), christof (December 30th, 2023), Jon Szanto (August 12th, 2019), Kaputnik (August 12th, 2019)

Thanks

Admiring my favorite writers, I believe the writing profession deserves immense respect, especially in crafting intricate documents like the fellowship personal statement It's a challenging task only conquered by true enthusiasts dedicated to their craft.
    Last edited by Mık Joger; December 27th, 2023 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks

1/ Caran d'ache Leman - matte/stormy grey - Broad nib - my EDC since I bought it back in April - I didn't pay list price, but got a 20% discount on a discount (stormy grey was the 2019 LE - so it came with heavy discounts in 2023). It writes well, the broad nib means I can read what I write and it's pleasant to use.

2/ Pilot Falcon - bronze (metal edition) SM nib - this pen is wonderful. The semi-flex of the nib means I can get line variation should I want it, but if I don't it's siff enough to use as a standard writer. This could be the dfirst and last pen of anyone who wants to write with FPs. Robust construction, an 18K nib and some line variation if you want it. My flexible vintage nibs can be a PIA as they are too flexible - you have to take so much care and attention that it makes writing on the fly impossible. The Falcon is a bridge between the past & the present - and is very good at it too.

3/ S T Dupont Da Vinci - A D-line limited edition from 2019 picke dup in the summer sale. The nib is a medium and is as hard as a nail. But the metal body is so finely balanced it's like dancing tango with a follow from Buenos Aires. The pen gets out of the way and lets you write for hours on end without any discomfort. It clearly demonstrates that it's not the weight of the pen, but how that weight is distributed that makes the difference. I can write for hours with this pen without my hand getting titred.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 29th, 2023), dneal (December 29th, 2023), fountainpenkid (December 30th, 2023), Lloyd (December 27th, 2023), Yazeh (December 28th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,317 Posts

Sometimes the spammers inadvertently do the board a favor. Good topic.

Currently, been this way and probably will for a while...:

1. Gray window 80's 146. Bouncy little 14k monotone nib and just all around fun to write with.

2. Narwhal Nautilus. Also a bouncy gold nib that's been stubbed. Review and Pics HERE.

3. Visconti Classic. This one probably surprised me the most. A nice acrylic with a Schmidt nib - it's the ultimate jotter/scribbler/writer. It just works perfectly, always. Review and Pics HERE.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

32. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (December 30th, 2023), catbert (December 30th, 2023), christof (December 30th, 2023), Deb (December 30th, 2023), dneal (December 30th, 2023), MarcoA64 (December 31st, 2023), Miss Fountain Pen (December 30th, 2023), Sandy (December 30th, 2023), Yazeh (December 30th, 2023)