Thread: Calligraphy - Pen Jacques Herbin La Perle

Thanks

Default Calligraphy - Pen Jacques Herbin La Perle

Hi, I received for Christmas J. Herbin pen in wooden box, was ment to be used in French schools in past as stated, includes also several nibs, also separate box of gift Brause nibs, some Pilot ink and set of parfumed ink also by Herbin. Can I use Pilot Iroshizuku with dip pen? Its ment for fountain pen and I didnt do proper research and wife bought it for me. Im wondering, which nibs would You buy as an addition to already owned ones for calligraphy that is used often in Heraldry, I guess Bastarda, Gothic? So unsure of brands of broad nibs, if it would been good choice for Heraldry, what else is needed to start such hobby? Thanks for commenting. Have a good night everyone

Odesláno z mého Redmi Note 8T pomocí Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,316 Times in 2,276 Posts

Default Re: Calligraphy - Pen Jacques Herbin La Perle

You can use any ink with dip pens. Though normally, black calligraphy ink is best.
    As far as I know most if not all dip pen nibs fit all/most nib holders.

In order to use a dip pen nib you need to wash it with toothpaste (there are many other methods), to remove the oily substance on the tip. Otherwise you won't be able to write.
    Nibs last 2 / 3 weeks until they rust.

Normally nibs recommended for "beginners" are Nikko G/ - Tachikawa G.
    Brause nibs are difficult to control for beginner and are tricky in my experience.

My personal favorite is Leonardt Principal EF. But O won't recommend it if you're not used to dip pens.

I'm hoping more experienced users with pitch in.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,015 Posts

Default Re: Calligraphy - Pen Jacques Herbin La Perle

Pilot iroshizuku ink is on the expensive side and it's made to perform particularly well with fountain pens. Many dip pen users might consider it's use in a dip pen a bit of a waste of money as dip pens will write better with specific dip pen calligraphy inks that are specially designed for use with dip pens and stay on the dip nib better for longer. Thinner fountain pen inks will work less well with dip pens.

Dip pen ink contains different substances and adhesives that work particularly well on dip pen nibs and extend their writing time. Fountain pen inks are specially designed to flow through tiny channels inside fountain pens and they don't contain substances that might block those channels.

It's much better to keep your fountain pen inks for your fountain pens and your dip pen inks for your dip pens. If you start dipping your dip pens into fountain pen inks as well as dip pen inks then you are likely to cause some damage to a fountain pen when the substances from your dip pen inks mix into your fountain pen inks.

A bottle of calligraphy ink is very inexpensive. If it was me I would buy one and only use it with my dip pen nibs.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 30th, 2023)