Thread: Why buy a new pen?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Why buy a new pen?

Been thinking a bit lately - dangerous, I know - about why we buy new pens. And by new I mean new to us.

For the purpose of this foray into this subject I suggest excluding collecting, as that particular activity is already 'governed or guided' by specific personal rules that are generally easy to understand.

So, first question.

When buying a new pen which of these is generally true?

1. I saw this fabulous pen and just had to buy it.

2. I wanted to buy a new pen (in general), so I went looking for one.

3. I wanted a nib that performed in a specific way, so looked for that.

4. Any combo of the above.

Second question.

Have you easily been able to find what you want within your personal budget?

In looking at the typically cheapish pens that I have, of note is that most of the nibs are different from each other in their performance - especially the line variation, rather than the smoothness (which is not a biggie to me). I also note that, with the exception of two slightly different vintage Duofolds (English jobs), my pens are all quite different in the looks department.

Clearly I have, where possible, tried to get the nibs I want in the bodies that I desire. For example, I wanted a Pilot FA nib and had a choice between models 912, 742, 743, and 823. I chose the 912 for the looks. Conversely, with the two custom made pens I have, I chose the materials and conceived the design, and only later fitted them with nibs I bought separately.

However, sometimes a compromise must be made. Take the case of my Waterman's 52. The nib is superb, but the body is just the boring old black. It is functional, and I enjoy using it very much. However, a ripple version or a cardinal was always out of my reach.*

And of course there have been various pens that were bought - and subsequently discarded - just on a whim.

It's very easy to get sucked into buying something that everyone else is raving about - the dreaded FOMO - but I think I am past that for now.

*contrary to the impression I may have inadvertently given elsewhere on the boards, I won't pay if I don't think something is worth the cost, not because I cannot afford it. In other words, I'm cheap!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

dfo (August 30th, 2019)