Thread: Techo versus Weeks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Techo versus Weeks

Yo!

I've been using the Hobonichi Techo for the last, ooh, 5 years now, and I am wondering if I might be better served by adopting the Hobonichi Weeks in 2020.

Does anyone here have any strong feelings about why either of these would be a preferred choice?

Thanks

Default Re: Techo versus Weeks

I've only have the Techo, I prefer the day to a page view, it fits how I use a diary. I still find that most of my appointments and meetings are organised through Outlook on the laptop so I use the Techo as a Dot List journal with a built in calender

Sometimes there is no entry on a day or its only very short ones, but other times I have longish to do lists (and Sundays are always a list of what Pens/Inks are due or on order ) so , while I can appreciate the slimmer form factor of Weeks ,I'm not sure my current usage could be adapted to the week per page view . Also while its much thicker I prefer the height of the Techo to the Weeks. I suppose the 2nd page of each view could still be used for Lists

I guess if you are finding that you are primarily just using the Techo for appointments or are looking for a slimmer product then Weeks may be a way to go .

It's a difficult question - and one way or another its probably a commitment of a year if you change to Weeks or stay with the Techo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I have tried the Weeks for 2 years now. I will be giving it up. It just doesn't work for me, and neither does the Cousin. The only one I consistently use is the Techo.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Good points for consideration. I do like the Techo, but worry slightly that I am not getting my money's worth out of it. First world problems, eh!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I bought one Techo to try it out, and found I didn't use it as a daily planner. Now I only use it as an additional paper example for my ink reviews.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

I was a bit surprised when I found out how popular those styles of books were - other than an actual week-to-view appointment diary, I've always found that unstructured books where I can put headings/dates wherever I want suit me far more, as the amount of space I want to use varies massively per day. Of course, I'm not really sure exactly what everyone is putting in their 'planners' in the first place!

They look great, I'd just use them entirely differently from intended!

(I used to use A5 page-a-day diaries for keeping track of a different crafting hobby, but after the very start I was only making anything on weekends, so eventually switched away from diaries to notebooks).

Thanks

I like the Cousin for practicing flex writing, the Techno for daily journaling and the Weeks for my “to-do” list I like the weeks because you can easily throw it into a purse/bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Well, I finally went for the Techo. Just like the last few years... except this time... this time I am going to use it properly. Said that the last 5 times too... but next year is a different year, you'll see!

Note, I haven't unpacked it but it came in a double sized box for some reason. Those who have had Techo will know of the boxes. It also came with this weird box of cards called karuta. No idea what that's all about, last year I got a scary pewter bear reading a book. All a bit of a mystery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Hobonichi always gives some kind of freebie weird thing like the scary bear. My scary bear is sitting right here in front of me, in fact. Usually you get a pen, too. I think the karuta is some kind of card game.

I used my Techo to record a few things about the day. I put washi tapes and stickers in it to decorate it. Sometimes, if someone sends me a letter with cool stamps, I put the stamps in it. I have all kinds of little paper ephemera in it. I also test inks in it.

I have the Po Kind Cat cover. I love it.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Nice cover!

I have a couple: a standard apple green and blue plastic thing, and currently a red canvas zipcase that has not held up that well to being chucked in my Tom Bihn Maker's bag. Some of the Hobonichi covers are super expensive! There are also some nice ones on Etsy. I am tempted by a 3rd party leather enclosure, or maybe a Harris tweed version. Also, some of the Mina Perhonen designs are nice.

Yes, I get the multipens too, and find them quite useful. Saves me buying a Lamy 2k multi (which I had my eye on for a while).