Thread: Confession

Thanks

Default Confession

Dear Fpgeeks community,

I have a confession to make...ever since I bought a Pilot Custom 823 with an FA nib and Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo, I have not bought a single pen, nib or ink since. Not only that, I have completely stopped lusting after anything other fountain pen related and have since sold off most of my collection of inks and pens. I have not inked a pen other than the 823 since I got it last year and I feel absolutely no need to do so.

I understand that for this I shall be banished from the fpgeeks community, made outcast, made an example of, but I have to tell the truth!

The dozens of Lamys, Pelikan Souverans, Montblancs, other Pilots, Platinums, even the odd Aurora and TWSBI - all gone, sold to the highest bidder. There’s one Lamy 2000 left, which hasn’t seen the light of day in over 6 months, and when I saw the new blue Lamy 2000 announcement at nearly 400EUR I laughed out loud at the screen and said “HA! - I could get a Custom 823 with FA nib for that!”.

Guys, you don’t understand...the perfect ink flow, always ready on demand, never skips, never hard starts, never railroads...crispy, solid, wet line, no more fuzzy, washed out brush-like strokes...the flex up to ~5:1 in ratio...it was love at first sight. And the ink capacity...the ink capacity!

Oh, I still want a Sailor KoP at some point in future, but mostly just because I want to try a Sailor pen out, even though I already know I’ll hate the miniscule ink reservoir.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

Annie (September 5th, 2019), dfo (August 14th, 2019), Empty_of_Clouds (August 10th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (August 10th, 2019), Pendragon (August 13th, 2019), TSherbs (August 11th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Confession

I hear ya! My 823 is only ever filled with tsuki-yo, and has been since the day I received it. Just a fine nib on mine, but a beauty nonetheless. Brilliant writer.

Despite that note of support and appreciation for the 823... you are still ished. <sniff>

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

adhoc (August 10th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (August 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Cool Re: Confession

I have a achieved a similar state of enlightenment, however, mine is a selection of pens rather just one which have alleviated the need for further quests.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do not feel ashamed or singled out! I have made the same experience: Since I have two Pilot CH 912 and a CH 743 with FA nibs, I hardly use my other pens, amongst them a 3776 Tortoise and two OMAS Damas in Arco Bronze and Grey Celluloid as well as some Montblancs, Sailors, Pelikans. These FA nibs are just fantastic, a joy to use.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulieParadise For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JulieParadise View Post
    Do not feel ashamed or singled out! I have made the same experience: Since I have two Pilot CH 912 and a CH 743 with FA nibs, I hardly use my other pens, amongst them a 3776 Tortoise and two OMAS Damas in Arco Bronze and Grey Celluloid as well as some Montblancs, Sailors, Pelikans. These FA nibs are just fantastic, a joy to use.
    Exactly! I ran into them completely by accident too! I was in Japan with my wife and she wanted a Pilot falcon, so she bought...a custom 74 with FA nib by mistake, because she thought that's the falcon. I loved the nib, so I had to have it and also one-up her a little bit (#15 nib vs the #10), so I got the 823 with FA nib (from the 742).

She still has a bunch of fountain pens, but I have simply sold off everything except the 823 and Lamy 2000.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

JulieParadise (August 10th, 2019), Lady Onogaro (August 10th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I figure there's room for all types of FP afficionado, owner of one to many!

I'm really glad to hear you have found One Pen (and Ink) To Rule Them All

I tried a Falcon nib and was very impressed and may get one eventually. The FA must be beyond superb.

I also am a huge fan of Tsuki-yo. I got a bottle for Christmas from my dear wife and daughter. The color is wonderful and it has been one of my best behaved inks in various pens.

Finding that perfect synergy of ink and pen is magical. I have a few combinations that are so great together I see no point in trying anything else with them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

adhoc (August 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Well done! Finding a combination that meets your preferences is a worthy goal. The 823 is a good choice.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to a_v_l For This Useful Post:

adhoc (August 10th, 2019)

Thanks

How do you find the #10 vs the #15? Do you prefer one over the other? I heard somewhere the #10 is more flexible but has more flow issues. I have the #15 and have never had a flow issue, neither in the 823 nor the 743 with con50/40.

I have to say, while I like the FA nib a lot, I use pens for many different purposes and the FA nib is not always the right nib for the job. I mostly like it for drawing. But I also think that going down to one pen, one ink, pros and cons accepted, removes the paralysis of choice and let's you focus on what you want to write rather than what pen to write with. So congrats. I don't think you're banished, but you may feel you've graduated.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    Dear Fpgeeks community, I have a confession to make....
    Say one Hail Mary and then forget about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Dear Fpgeeks community, I have a confession to make....
    Say one Hail Mary and then forget about it.
    That's it?? Heck, my Italian neighbor says 5 Rosaries just to warm up.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 25th, 2019), VertOlive (August 15th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zou View Post
    How do you find the #10 vs the #15? Do you prefer one over the other? I heard somewhere the #10 is more flexible but has more flow issues. I have the #15 and have never had a flow issue, neither in the 823 nor the 743 with con50/40.

I have to say, while I like the FA nib a lot, I use pens for many different purposes and the FA nib is not always the right nib for the job. I mostly like it for drawing. But I also think that going down to one pen, one ink, pros and cons accepted, removes the paralysis of choice and let's you focus on what you want to write rather than what pen to write with. So congrats. I don't think you're banished, but you may feel you've graduated.
    I believe you tried to quote me. My personal observations, which seem to be comparable to other owners of the pens in question I have spoken to, is that the #10 nib is flexier than the #15, but is also more prone to railroading. The #10 nib also comes in inferior pens; the 823 is simply a fantastic pen with enormous ink reservoir, etc.

I do feel at peace to be honest, I spent years and years buying and buying and buying pens and inks, never getting *quite* the experience I wanted.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Dear Fpgeeks community,

I have a confession to make....

....Guys, you don’t understand...the perfect ink flow, always ready on demand, never skips, never hard starts, never railroads...crispy, solid, wet line, no more fuzzy, washed out brush-like strokes...the flex up to ~5:1 in ratio...it was love at first sight. .
    You're a one-pen man/woman/other. Sounds great!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

adhoc (August 11th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Dear Fpgeeks community,

I have a confession to make...ever since I bought a Pilot Custom 823 with an FA nib and Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo, I have not bought a single pen, nib or ink since. Not only that, I have completely stopped lusting after anything other fountain pen related and have since sold off most of my collection of inks and pens. I have not inked a pen other than the 823 since I got it last year and I feel absolutely no need to do so.

I understand that for this I shall be banished from the fpgeeks community, made outcast, made an example of, but I have to tell the truth!
    Why?
    I think your "confession" should be made sticky, right next to the "confession" of member(s) who continues to enjoy their 300 pen collection.

This shows how diverse our hobby can be.

I am glad for you just as I am glad for those who continue their journey and accumulate more pens. Enjoying the hobby is the goal, and there are many ways to do it.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

23. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

adhoc (August 11th, 2019)

Thanks

Dear Fpgeeks community,

The simplest solution is often the best.

I doubt it, not unless you committed ballpoint heresy. Besides, nobody can bar you from using a fountain pen, so you're golden.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

I hear you Adhoc and I am happy for you.

I have not purchased a new pen in two years. After buying a Sailor Pro Gear in 2017, my world changed and I stopped focusing on acquiring new pens. I thought I liked large pens with long sections, but the normal ProGear is my perfect fit in my hand (Geez there is no way to that make that statement sound right). This tied to my apathy towards trying new inks has led me to just enjoy what I have.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

I love Japanese pens too. FWIW I think that it it is great to find something you love to use, and then to feel content with what you have. Learned this the hard way from several hobbies which I spent too much time and money acquiring more and more. Now I am scaling back to just a few select items.