Thread: ink sack size

Thanks

Default ink sack size

I am on my second attempt at replacing ink sack on a pen. First time I ordered a few sacks in sizes recommended by measuring the section in a hole card and by millimeter. What I ordered was size 15 suitable for a section about 5 mm i diameter. The sack I received in the mail is narrower than the one originally in the pen. I have watched a few tutorials on the web and I wonder if a bit of test and trial is involved in this? I now lean towards going for a sack which fits the section and goes pretty much flush with it, fitting snuggly with out much stretch. There seem to be enough of room in the barrel for the ink sack and the pressure bar.

I have a twist filler (missing bladder and nothing to compare with), a lever filler and a button filler to sort out; all using a basic vaccum filling system for the rubber bladder. Does this seem like a reasonable approach? The sack will be a bit larger than what the hole card recommends (at least compared to what I received in the mail).

Are there finer points to this?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: ink sack size

Without knowing the precise brand/models pens you are using, I would go in a more general direction: do your best with the measuring above, and then order a number of sacs, with a couple in each of the likely sizes above and below the target. For instance, if I had two pens that was was fairly certain were going to take a #16 sac, I'd order two of 15/16/17 and be able to try them out. The basic rule of thumb is that the sac should be able to drop easily into (and out of) the barrel. Putting a larger diameter sac in an attempt to sqeeze another drop or two of ink just doesn't make sense. The sacs aren't very expensive, you are paying for shipping anyway, and it's always handy to have some on hand (that is, if you are into fixing up pens).

If you haven't checked it out, Richard Binders page on sac sizing for pen models is quite handy... as is virtually everything on his site.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 10th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

So far I've been lucky in that most of my pens were either on Binder's list or they took one of the sizes I already happened to have on hand (15, 16, or 17).

You can order an assortment set from https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Fountain-Pen-Sacs.html if your pen isn't listed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 10th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Richard's size list is only a starting point, because the internal dimensions of old pens change due to the barrel or more importantly, change in the alignment and shape of the pressure mechanism. Therefore, the added advice of sizing based on fit (dropping the sac into the barrel for a loose fit) is the real deal. Unfortunately, that means you will need a variety of sizes on hand. I buy from The Pen Sac Company. They offer a variety starter set "Collector's Assortment."
    Last edited by FredRydr; August 10th, 2019 at 03:09 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 10th, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks all of you, I shall make a note of the suggestions and get a feel for this. It's a Mabie Todd, a Waterman and an unbranded button filler; there is logo initials on the nib, but I can't tell, PP or PB something like that.