Thread: 1947-ish Elmo 211B

Thanks

Default 1947-ish Elmo 211B

I just acquired a 1947-ish Elmo 211B in slightly sad condition. Has anyone ever seen one? I have scoured the web and only found the Montegrappa 211B, which would have been the deluxe version. The pen has a perfectly working piston (denoted by the middle '1' in the model number) and almost all Elmos and even Montegrappas of the epoch are button-fillers. Unfortunately the nib has been replaced by a US Howard Hunt VERI SMOOTH steel item and the clip is missing and the tiny blue 'jewel' that would have held it in place is broken. The 'jewel' at the end of the barrel is in place, however.

I have cleaned the hand-polished the pen but am now at a loss as to what to do with it. Any suggestions, please?

The last image shows the transparent section well.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: 1947-ish Elmo 211B

It has lovely celluloid reminiscent of the big Italian makers. I expect it is a sub-brand. I suggest you look in your two-volume The History of the Italian Fountain Pen 1900-1950, by Letizia Jacopini. Alas, if you don't have it, contact her about your pen. Her website no longer seems to be working, but try this: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LetiziaJacopini

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

allsaintsvlad (August 13th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    It has lovely celluloid reminiscent of the big Italian makers. I expect it is a sub-brand. I suggest you look in your two-volume The History of the Italian Fountain Pen 1900-1950, by Letizia Jacopini. Alas, if you don't have it, contact her about your pen. Her website no longer seems to be working, but try this: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LetiziaJacopini
    I didn't know that Letizia has an Etsy store now.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I just learned recently through a video of an interview with the CEO of Montegrappa, that Elmo used to be the name of the company before they renamed it into Montegrappa. But if I recall what he said, the renaming happened long before 1947, so probably it's a commemorative pen?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens