Thread: Writing Surfaces

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Writing Surfaces

What wisdom do you have to share on writing surfaces, both the paper and what's underneath, that you've learned over the years?

I have found that when writing in a notebook (I like midori A5), I sometimes get mushier writing (bleed, feather etc) on the left side. I think this is because the pages I have already written on do not lay as flat, due to the ink they have absorbed, and I can see that easily when looking at the pages with the book closed. So I've just recently started putting a small a5 size sheet of plastic underneath, to make it flatter, which I think may be helping.

Another small piece of wisdom is to keep a sheet of paper the size of your notebook handy, which you can put under your hand to prevent oils from your hand getting onto the page. It also acts as blotting paper when you need to turn the page and don't want to wait so long for the ink to dry. I guess it sort of bookmarks the page as well.

Another quirky fact I recently noticed is that my iroshizuku inks don't deplete as quickly as Noodler's Heart of Darkness. I really like Heart of Darkness, but maybe part of the reason it is so dark is that it pulls itself into the paper better, drawing more ink from the pen. Or perhaps it's just my imagination. Even with my posting nib, however, it really got used quicker than I'm used to. It could just be a side effect of the Chinese characters I'm writing recently, as short strokes tend to use more ink than cursive roman letters.

I'm not sure how deep a topic like this goes, but please share any experiences you have with tangentially related topics, writing desks or what have you, what is your favourite place to write, your favourite paper, your least favourite place to write etc.

I look forward to your replies.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zou For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 13th, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 13th, 2019)