Thread: Platinum nib service question

Thanks

Default Platinum nib service question

This is specific to vintage Japanese pens, so I thought it would be more appropriate here than in the general repair section...

Many small nib Platinum pens use the same feed/collector and nib mounting system, where the nib is pressed on to the end of the feed, much like the Lamy Safari nib/feed interface, but with the nib partially shrouded by the section.

The hitch is that the nibs seem to be *really* tight on the feed, which makes removal to adjust nib tines or nib to feed interface difficult.

My specific question is; are there any tricks to removing these nibs without using excessive force and risking damage to nib and feed?

Thanks in advance for any advice folks may be able to provide.
    David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Platinum nib service question

I only have a handful of these pens and none have had issues, but I am fairly certain I recently was reading a thread on these where at least in certain models the nib was actually *glued* in place. I hope others might have an answer, FPG isn't norotirously deep in Asian pen discussions, but you never know. Keep up the research and something will turn up.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Default Re: Platinum nib service question

The one that's giving me grief now almost looks like the ears that hold the nib on to the feed were crimped in place
    David-

So many restoration projects...