Thread: EFNIR: Noodler's Apache Sunset

Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 580 Posts

Default EFNIR: Noodler's Apache Sunset

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Noodler's Apache Sunset

This is review #255 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: I know this ink is a shade-monster, but not from this fine a nib, which is the reason I didn't rate it high in shading. If you want to see this ink in all its glory, you need a larger, dry-ish nib. An Ink Guy is the one and only person I've seen rate this as having a fast dry time. That rating is true on absorbent paper (for me), but on FP friendly paper like Rhodia, basically, the ink doesn't dry, so keep a blotting page in your notebooks and just use that.

Cleaning was quick and easy with plain water, but may need an extra flush or two because the dye is pretty concentrated. The microscope slide was boring as can be, just solid orange/yellow - perhaps because it never dried...

NOTE: This ink was renamed to "Southwest Sunset".

Zoomed in photo (The image exaggerates the shading a lot. Also, the color I see is like the darker colors from the image - the lighter colors there aren't on the paper - to my eyes.)

Screenshot (Text is a little too dark, but the dry-time smear is closer to what I see.)

Scan of Completed Review (The text is probably a little too light, but mostly, the smear for the dry time should be much yellower. Otherwise, I think this is the closest to the actual color.)

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (The mini microscope camera didn't like this ink. It's not quite as fuzzy as the absorbent paper part suggests. The ink is a little darker in real life.)

Line width (The "I" in "Ink" in "Extra Fine Nib Ink Review". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 284µm. With 255 inks measured, the average line width is 295µm.)

Previous Review: Kakimori Kurun.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 17th, 2023), catbert (October 18th, 2023), Chrissy (October 17th, 2023), forester (October 18th, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (October 17th, 2023), junglejim (October 22nd, 2023), Lithium466 (October 17th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (October 17th, 2023), Yazeh (October 17th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,272 Times in 2,263 Posts

Default Re: EFNIR: Noodler's Apache Sunset

Another excellent review I've been going through a few orange inks, and in general I find them dry and almost but not always legible, unless using a stub or broad. But I don't find the colour conducive to writing in a journal, even though it is said that orange is a nice colour to paint an office to stimulate creativity.
    It's funny how murky colours or so lovely to write with and be creative with, but no much in hands of a "high wizard"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,259 Posts

I don't do Noodlers, but if I did, I would have this one. Luckily, there are plenty of other gorgeous orange inks, and I have (ahem) a few of them...

Thank you as always for a smashing review. I never thought I'd look forward to Tuesdays

This bit of the story is definitely keeping us all in suspenders. I find myself wanting to jump in and lob a skull or two into the light.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Another excellent review
    Thank you, Yazeh!

I've been going through a few orange inks, and in general I find them dry and almost but not always legible, unless using a stub or broad. But I don't find the colour conducive to writing in a journal, even though it is said that orange is a nice colour to paint an office to stimulate creativity.
    You're right! Oranges are usually quite dry. Odd that Apache Sunset is eternally wet... I guess that's the yellow component. Color is an interesting thing! (Colour only slightly less so... :P )

It's funny how murky colours or so lovely to write with and be creative with, but no much in hands of a "high wizard"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (October 17th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I don't do Noodlers, but if I did, I would have this one. Luckily, there are plenty of other gorgeous orange inks, and I have (ahem) a few of them...
    Indeed, there are lots of oranges to choose from - and most of them dry... I admit, this ink looked absolutely gorgeous in my eyedroppered Nemosine Singularity (absolutely love the look of that pen), and coming out of its 0.6mm stub. But it's an ink that needs a broader nib to show off, and the dry time is just too much, even for me - it's as if the blotting paper doesn't pick it up - it's dry enough for the blotting paper not to soak it in, but it still smears...

Thank you as always for a smashing review. I never thought I'd look forward to Tuesdays
    You're very welcome! And thank you! Tuesdays are to celebrate the fact that Monday is over and we're one step closer to Friday!

This bit of the story is definitely keeping us all in suspenders. I find myself wanting to jump in and lob a skull or two into the light.
    Don't do that!!! Pretty sure them skulls be part of what's corrupting the Source! Checking... I'm afraid we're going to stay on the edge of our seats for another handful of reviews...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (October 17th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

I had a sample of this ink years ago, and though I loved the color, it really did have an Eternal Dry time. It would even smear days later.

Story gettin spookyz. Skulz. Cloaks. No daggerz yet. What next?

Liz, thanks for the review and story, and for making even overloaded Tuesdays special!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I had a sample of this ink years ago...
    ...and it's still not dry! :P

Story gettin spookyz. Skulz. Cloaks. No daggerz yet. What next?

Liz, thanks for the review and story, and for making even overloaded Tuesdays special!
    You're very welcome! Hope your Tuesday overload becomes a Wednesday underload!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (October 19th, 2023)

Thanks

I have Habañero, which is similar but a little more orange. I don't seem to have any issues with dry times.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaguarish For This Useful Post:

LizEF (October 19th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarish View Post
    I have Habañero, which is similar but a little more orange. I don't seem to have any issues with dry times.
    I should probably try Habañero. Elsewhere, we've been discussing my dry times and the theory is that once your average humidity is low enough, paper becomes impervious to ink, so absorption doesn't help at all and evaporation (which is slower) has to do all the work. I need to do some tests to try to confirm the theory, but in this case (Apache/Southwest Sunset) given how many people lament its never-dry attribute, I think it's not the climate...