Thread: Quick hit: Platinum Carbon Black

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Quick hit: Platinum Carbon Black

Quick hit: quite wet with thick lines; minor nib creep, fast drying, slight smearing; waterproof; dark, lively, matte black. I like it but it would be better in a very dry writer.

Yesterday, I loaded my trusty Parker 45 with Platinum Carbon Black to do some addressing and note taking, thus continuing my quest for a waterproof, permanent black ink. I've also tried Montblanc Permanent Black (MBPB) and de Atramentis Document Black (dADB).

This is a wet-writing ink, almost too much for me. The pen is tuned to a medium flow with Parker Quink Black. Carbon Black, instead, flows very generously, enlarging line width from F to a FM or M. It's much wetter than either MBPB or dADB.

I like pens to flow just enough to lubricate the nib and provide control over the amount and width of lines. Carbon Black borders on feeling uncontrolled.

The ink dries to smudge-free within 5-10 seconds, and smear free within 30, unlike MBPB which can smear a day or more later. Wiping away water drops can also smear slightly.

The ink is a lively, neutral, very dark, matte black. It isn't brownish like MBPB nor strangely lifeless like dADB.

The ink exhibits nib creep but ink remains wet and ready to write even after being uncapped for a couple minutes.

The ink will feather very slightly on cheaper paper.

Of the three I've tried, this is my favorite permanent black, though I'd need to find a much drier pen to enjoy it.

Last edited by azkid; August 14th, 2019 at 11:33 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (May 11th, 2020), amk (May 9th, 2020), Brilliant Bill (August 15th, 2019), Chrissy (August 15th, 2019), Marsilius (August 14th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (August 15th, 2019), TSherbs (May 9th, 2020), Yazeh (November 4th, 2020)