Thread: how do you know a button filler works as it should?

Thanks

Default how do you know a button filler works as it should?

I have replaced sack and presser bar in a newly bought pen. I can't find any brand or logo, except for the initials PP on the 14 karat nib. I think the resacking works, but I doubt the presser bar optimally pushes air out of the sack. It works, it does take up some ink, but how to check or fix it? This is my first buttonfiller, lever fillers seem to be a bit easier.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: how do you know a button filler works as it should?

if you get bubbles in the ink when filling, it is working.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 19th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I have done a few only. If it sucks up and then expels a reasonable quantity of water, by eyeball, I count it as good.

To make sure the bar is working optimally, one could compare ink quantity drawn up with use of the button versus by squeezing the sac manually with the barrel off.

Using graduated sample vials or even weighing the water with a digital gram scale should tell you if it is working, I think?

I may have to try it because I notice that my Duofold Juniors seem to hold a lot less ink than I expected.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    To make sure the bar is working optimally, one could compare ink quantity drawn up with use of the button versus by squeezing the sac manually with the barrel off. Using graduated sample vials or even weighing the water with a digital gram scale should tell you if it is working, I think?
    That was my first thought as well! Honestly, it is hard to know if either a lever- or button-fill mechanism squeezes the sac adequately. I usually take a look inside the barrel and operate the mechanism without section/sac in place (obviously more tricky with a button, as you have to hold the bar in place where it would be. If you can see the pressure bar travel most of the way to the other side of the barrel, you get the idea that it will squeeze the sac well.

Any sac filler is less likely to get a "100% fill" the way you can do with other pens, but that's just part of the pen anatomy.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Weigh the pen when it's empty.

Weigh the pen when it's filled.

The difference in weight in grams = ml of ink.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Did you have to redo or replace the pressure bar?

A good and well adjusted button filler should have a strong tension, that when the button is pressed, a jet of air bubbles should come out strongly from the nib, and the button should come back out the moment you let go.

If any of these two movements looks weak or sluggish, it's usually time to adjust 3 things: The button, the tip of the pressure bar, and the barrel "hole" where those two fit inside.

A lot of times, especially if you have to replace the button, or buy a new pressure bar because the original one is missing or rusted out, you may have to enlarge the "hole" in the barrel where the button fits in, assuming the barrel is either celluloid or ebonite. Once enlarged, the button that has a "skirt" part where the end of the pressure bar is inserted into, can also be expanded a bit, making a good contact with the end of the pressure bar without causing the end to rub or cling into the inside of the button, this is what causes the button to feel "sticky" instead of "springy".

It's hard to explain in words, but it's the good fit between these 3 parts that can make or break a button-filler restoration.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 20th, 2019), Jon Szanto (August 20th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

And then, of course, the sac has to be inserted on the correct side of the pressure bar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    And then, of course, the sac has to be inserted on the correct side of the pressure bar.
    Ohh, what is the correct side? I screwed the section with sack back on, then slided the pressure bar down from top (after having the button off). I assumed the correct side facing the sack was the flat bit fitted onto the middle of the metal piece.

I have to do this pen over again; I the original presser bar was in two pieces, but it looks like the replacement I have is near identical, shape and length. I have had Parker 51s Aerometric that worked very well, and a current fixup project is a small Waterman lever filler with a very good pressing action on the lever and presser bar. This button filler in questioin is just not responding enough when I press the button.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Richardspens.com is a good source for easily understood diagrams: http://www.richardspens.com/ref/fillers/button.htm Scroll down to the red Parker Duofold for a cutaway and note the orientation of the two-piece pressure bar. Apply talcum to the sac to reduce twisting as the section is screwed into place.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 21st, 2019)