Thread: FS: Parker Vacumatics, First Yr 51s, Challengers (NOS, 2 Crystal Clear Barrels)

Thanks

Default FS: Parker Vacumatics, First Yr 51s, Challengers (NOS, 2 Crystal Clear Barrels)

Filling: Each of the Vacumatics is made of celluloid with transparent barrel striations for viewing the level of ink, which is stored directly in the barrel. The 51s have the same filling system but have opaque barrels. To fill, one simply removes the blindcap, submerses the nib, and depresses the plunger 5-6 times until the barrel is full (after rotation to unlock the plunger if it has a lockdown filler - i.e. #3 and #4). For the button fillers (#1 and #2), one unscrews the blindcap, submerses the nib, and depresses the brass button just once.

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs/diaphragms installed in the last couple weeks. Vacumatic fillers are something of a specialty of mine and I take pride in the amount of attention I devote to each. Any dried/coagulated ink is removed from feed channels. All remnants of thread sealant and ossified diaphragms are cleaned away. Threads are meticulously chased. Interiors of barrels are cleaned and polished to remove ink staining and restore transparency. Sections are sealed against leaks using Ron Zorn's rosin-based thread sealant. Each of these pens guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other problems. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line.

THESE PENS HAVE NO CRACKS, CHIPS, PERSONAL ENGRAVINGS (except #7), MISSING PARTS, BENT NIBS, MISALIGNED TINES, OR THREADING ISSUES.

Line Widths and Writing Samples: To provide buyers with as much information as possible, I have started to adopt the following line width standards: XXF (.1-.2mm); XF (approx .3mm); F (approx .4mm); M (approx .6mm); B (approx .8mm). These as well as line widths under full flex are measured with a digital caliper but should be considered approximations providing a general guide: width may vary slightly depending on type of ink and paper used as well as amount of pressure applied. All writing samples are on Rhodia dot paper using Waterman Serenity Blue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 1936 Parker Challenger (grey pearl marble celluloid, NPT, button filler, 14k XXF Flexible nib). This is the full-sized model, measuring 5 1/8" capped. In Parker advertisements of the era, the Challenger was a step down from the Vacumatic in terms of price point, but it remained a high quality pen very similar to the Duofolds of the 30s. This one is made of grey marble celluloid with nickel-plated furniture and black hard rubber accents. Removable blindcap unscrews to reveal brass button, whereby the pen is filled. Flexible 14k Parker Pen nib lays down a smooth and consistent XXF line that widens to a 3B+ (approx. 1.6mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/Eobvnr0). Needlepoint hairlines, strong snap back, and impeccable flow under its full range of flex make it a great choice for expressive writing styles. Condition: Celluloid pens were prone to discoloration from exposure to sunlight, environmental conditions, and outgassing of the sac as it deteriorated. Greys always show discoloration more than others. The barrel on this one is slightly darker than the cap; I'd grade the color to be roughly 7/10. Nickel-plated trim is clean, having no brassing aside from the thin clip washer around the top of the cap and no other blemishes aside from a scratch on the bottom 1/3 of the clip and a handful of pin-sized nicks/scratches. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Barrel imprint with 1936 date code is sharp, deep, and fully legible. Price: $85 SOLD

2. 1936 Parker Challenger Deluxe (grey pearl and black celluloid, NPT, button filler, 14k F Semi-Flex nib). This is the full-sized model, measuring 5 1/8" capped. The Challenger Deluxe was a step up in price point from the regular Challenger above and priced at just below the Vacumatic models. The upgrade was largely aesthetic, the Deluxe having triple cap rings, a clip secured by a jewel, and an array of interesting celluloid color patterns exclusive to this model. The pattern on this one consists of grey pearlescent flakes overlapping or floating in isolation against a black background, complemented by nickel-plated trim. . Removable blindcap unscrews to reveal brass button, whereby the pen is filled. Semi-Flex 14k Parker Pen nib lays down a smooth and consistent F line that widens to a 2B+ (approx. 1.2mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/xDwoHb5). A versatile nib capable of adding subtle distinction to one's everyday writing. Condition: As noted above, grey celluloid tended to show more discoloration than the other colors. I searched for quite some time for a clean example for my own collection, rejecting some 50-100 grey Deluxe Challengers I saw for sale until I found this one. The vast majority of these show moderate to severe discoloration while this one is nearly perfect (9-9.5/10). It's been with me for about 5 yrs and if I didn't just pick up another just like it, I'd be holding on to it. Nickel-plated retains its luster and is nearly pristine – again hard to find since this plating was especially susceptible to wear. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Barrel imprint with 1936 date code is sharp, deep, and fully legible. Price: $120 SOLD

3. 1937 Parker Vacumatic Junior (grey pearl marble/transparent celluloid, NPT, Vacumatic [lockdown] filler, 14k XF Semi-Flex nib). This is the larger of the two 1st gen Jr. models, having the girth of a Standard and measuring 4 7/8" capped. Grey marble celluloid with astonishing barrel clarity. Double black jewels and nickel-plated trim. Semi-Flex 14k Vac Arrow nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 2B or so (approx. 1.1mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/S3Nktpw). Condition: This one almost looks like it could have just rolled off the assembly line. I've seen hundreds of these pens and most have barrels that have irreversibly ambered and lost their clarity. Compared to those, this one looks like a completely different pen, which explains its popularity when new. Its barrel clarity is exceptional. Definitely on a par with the example that David Isaacson likes to post. Breather tube and diaphragm are readily visible, even without the pen being held to a light, so it's like a demonstrator in which you can see all the moving parts during filling. Color of the grey pearl is also superb with no discernible discoloration. Jewels are sharply pointed. And trim is clean with no brassing – just a thin rough spot around the bottom edge of the blind cap tassie. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Barrel imprint with 1937 date code is sharp, deep, and fully legible. Price: $250 $225 $210 $200

4. 1937 Parker Vacumatic Standard (Burgundy Pearl w/ transparent striations, celluloid, Vacumatic [lockdown] filler, 14k XXF Semi-Flex nib). This is the full-length, standard girth model, measuring 5 3/16" capped. Burgundy Pearl is scarcest among the 1st gen Vac colors. Matching double jewels (see detail photo above) and section, details that would be phased out in later Vac generations. This one has especially wide transparent striations in the barrel, giving it especially good clarity. 14k Vac Arrow nib lays down a smooth and consistent XXF line that widens to a 2B (approx. 1mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/ZxdkESl). A great nib for adding subtle flair to one's everyday writing. Condition: The pen above has virtually perfect barrel clarity, but this one is no slouch either. Although it's more orange than yellow in color, no transparency has been lost so that the breather tube and diaphragm are readily visible during operation. Gold-plated trim is free of brassing aside from the typical spot on the arrow at the bottom of the clip and a thin sliver around the clip tassie. There is also one short deep scratch on the tassie directly above the clip. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Barrel imprint weakened but still mostly legible; date code only partially legible. Price:$250 SOLD

5. 1944 Vacumatic Major – NOS w/ sticker (Black, GPT, Vacumatic filler, 14 XF nib). This is the full-sized 3rd-generation model, measuring 5 3/32" capped. Another NOS example with it's original price ($8.75) and nib width sticker intact. But it has been restored with a new diaphragm and inked for testing. Blue Diamond clip, chevron cap band, black cap jewel, and plastic plunger all consistent with a 3rd gen Vac. Although both the sticker and tipping size indicate a F, the flow of the 14k Vac Arrow nib was adjusted from the factory to lay down a smooth and consistent XF line (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/m2SmKst). Condition: Near Mint. Another Vac that appears to have just rolled off the assembly line, having scarcely any microscratches even. Gold-plated trim shows no brassing (I missed some dirt on the clip, which will be cleaned off before shipment). Smooth, lustrous finish with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Barrel transparency is truly superb on this one (see detail photo: https://imgur.com/2yOGYLa). Factory deep barrel imprint is fully legible. Price: $190 SOLD

6. 1941 (First Year) Parker 51 Vac (Cedar Blue, Lucite, 1/10 16k Gold Cap, double aluminum jewels, Vacumatic [Speedline] filler, 14k XF nib). Measures 5 1/2" capped. According to Parker's figures, there were only 6,236 51s sold in the first year of production. The pen was such an instant success that this number climbed to 214,163 in 1942. And by 1948 over 2 million 51s were sold each year. The comparatively seldom seen first year 51 is distinguished by deluxe details lacking on later 51s. This one checks off all the boxes: aluminum Speedline filler, first year 16k gold-filled cap with double-framed indicia, first year clip with larger blue diamond, imprint on the blindcap as opposed to the barrel, and double aluminum jewels. 14k nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/pKTPO8M). Condition: Cap is unblemished with no dents, dings, brassing, deep scratches, or other notable wear aside from 1 pin-sized ding near the top on the lefthand side (see DETAIL PHOTO LEFT: https://imgur.com/zbuGIX5. Trim is free of brassing aside from thin slivers around the tassie edges and a couple spots on the side points of the arrow at the bottom of the clip. Lucite is smooth and lustrous with no deep scratches or other notable flaws. Imprint on blindcap is sharp and fully legible, with fully legible date code indicating second quarter of 1941 manufacture. Price: $420 $390 $380 $370

7. 1941 (First Year) Parker 51 Vac (Cedar Blue, Lucite, 1/10 16k Gold Cap, double aluminum jewels, Vacumatic [Speedline] filler, 14k XF nib). Measures 5 1/2" capped. This is essentially the same pen as #7 but with a couple cosmetic issues that have been factored into the price. Aluminum Speedline filler, first year 16k gold-filled cap with double-framed indicia, first year clip with larger blue diamond, imprint on the blindcap as opposed to the barrel, aluminum jewel on the blindcap and plastic jewel on the cap (confirmed by Ernesto of parker51.com to be correct for first yr Parker 51s manufactured later in the year). 14k nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/okf1hhR). Condition: This pen would grade as excellent were it not for a professionally heatstamped engraving on the barrel ("Ruth Delaney") – see last photo. Condition is otherwise very clean. Cap is unblemished with no dents, dings, brassing, deep scratches, or other notable wear aside from one ding on the right side of the cap above the indicia (see DETAIL PHOTO RIGHT: https://imgur.com/zbuGIX5). No brassing to the clip aside from a couple pin-sized spots on the corners of the arrow at the bottom. Clip tassie is clean but blindcap tassie has one fine sliver of wear at the base. Lucite is smooth and lustrous with no deep scratches or other notable flaws. Blindcap imprint is weakened but legible and '1' date code is faint but partially legible under a loupe. Price: $350 $325 $310 $295

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping: All pens that do not come with their original boxes are packaged in thick PVC tubing to protect them in transit. To CONUS locations buyer may opt for either:

USPS First-Class with tracking for $5

USPS Priority with tracking for $8

International Customers: Please contact me for shipping quote if located overseas (delivery confirmation required).

New York Customers: For tax purposes, I am now required to add an 8% sales tax on any sale made in the state of NY. If your shipping address is in NY state, please let me know before payment to receive an adjusted total.

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to contact me with firm request to purchase, to which I’ll reply with payment details. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs, then they become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something objectionable or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). I've sold pens online for over a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by popcod; August 18th, 2019 at 01:05 PM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

Default Re: FS: Parker Vacumatics, First Yr 51s, Challengers (NOS, 2 Crystal Clear Barrels)

Prices reduced on remaining pens

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

Default Re: FS: Parker Vacumatics, First Yr 51s, Challengers (NOS, 2 Crystal Clear Barrels)

Further reductions

Thanks

weekend with further reductions

Thanks

to the top for the weekend