Thread: 2019 San Francisco International Pen Show Recap!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default 2019 San Francisco International Pen Show Recap!

Part the First (because you can only put 15 images in a post)

The eight-hour drive to San Francisco sometimes gives me pause, if only for how to avoid LA traffic, but never has the trip been more worthwhile than this year. The showrunners for the last few years (Todd Eberspacher, Ricky Chau, and Syd Saperstein) managed to eclipse any of their other shows previous. Bigger, better, funner! I haven't had this good a time at a pen show ever.

(Caveat: I didn't take as many photos this year but just enough decent shots to cover some bases. Keep an eye out on other sites, too, because there were plenty of people documenting)

The venue (the Pullman Hotel in Redwood City) is a fine location for the show, with good lighting in the showrooms and what *had* been plenty of room. They are already planning on another 1000 sq ft for next year. The night before the frenzy begins, a lovely sunset over the lagoon (taken from our room).

I usually take a photo of my pen case before I enter the show. It reminds me what I brought, but also serves as something I can show that I actually *own* the pens I'm carrying, as well as being helpful if one or more are missing (or heaven forbid, pilfered).

One of the first vendors as you first enter the lobby of the show, Curnow Bookbinding and Leatherwork. Steve Curnow puts out a great set of products, unique and usable journals with Tomoe River paper and interesting bindings, and he and Dianne and Katie are a real positive start to the show.

Right off the bat, in the bright morning sun of the outer lobby area, are the vibrant offerings of Brian Gray and Edison Pen Company. Such a great guy, with pens to match. Brian had a beautiful limited edition pen made for the show... in a run of 10. They were gone in the first hour of the early access hours on Friday. He'll make more next time!

Right inside the main ballroom was the traditional location for Peyton Street Pens. Teri Morris has one of the widest selection of pens to choose from: vintage and NOS to Indian ebonite to hand-crafted pens and pens from private collections. If you were new to pens and shows, you could do worse than spend a good deal of time here.

My friend and one of the great nib artists, Mike Masuyama. He's shown here, working on one of three pens I had him touch this time. I had two tunings and one custom grind, an Aurora Optima going from a B to a nice crisp italic. It is a wonder to hand him a pen and mere minutes later get back an entirely new writing experience. I just love spending time there, chatting and watching the magic happen.

Heading back into the ballroom, Papier Plume of New Orleans was a new attendee this year. They brought a lot of very cool stuff, including glass dip pens, fountain pens, writing supplies and a big selection of their house brand inks.

These wild pens were part of the Papier Plume display as well. They also were doing good business with a large selection of sealing waxes and stamps. Very classy and unique items.

I'll admit it: bling is not my thing. If it's yours, you could do far worse than the glittery offerings from Benu Pens!

Another new product line that was very handsome were the products from Galen Leather of Turkey. They had their own table but these were also being sold by Vanness Pen Co., a regular attendee of the show. Vanness had a very good selection, well displayed.

All manner of things can be ordered online when you need them, but one of my must-stops at every show is Dale Beebe's Pentooling tables. If you need something - supply, item, tool, part - to repair or restore a pen, he has it, along with a nice selection of restored vintage pens.

Among the many well-known vintage sellers at the show was Cliff Harrington. From the very first pen show I attended, I've made it a point to do everything I can to have good conversations with people like Cliff. I learn so much from them, and even if I don't happen to purchase anything at the moment, you start a relationship. They love their pens and are happy to share info, the best part of community. Cliff brings quality stuff.

(... to be continued ...)
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; August 28th, 2019 at 01:47 AM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

azkid (August 29th, 2019), bebox (August 28th, 2019), carlos.q (August 28th, 2019), catbert (August 28th, 2019), countrydirt (August 31st, 2019), Detman101 (May 4th, 2021), fountainpagan (August 31st, 2019), Jerome Tarshis (August 28th, 2019), jodylud (September 3rd, 2019), Marsilius (September 6th, 2019), mitchell (August 29th, 2019), Pendragon (August 28th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (August 28th, 2019), Sketchy (September 6th, 2019), TFarnon (May 14th, 2021), Zhivago (September 16th, 2019)