Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recommendations for Omas repair

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: recommendations for Omas repair

The liquid in my USC contains some ammonia but has some slip to it, and is what my jeweller friend orders in bulk. I've regularly used it with many brands of plastic pens without any problem. You have to rinse it off with plain water afterwards.

You would have to be able to shake the water out to get the pen dry. I don't know what your barrel/piston currently looks like so don't know how well that would work.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do with your pen.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

David, I've recently sent my Omas Ogiva Vision to fountainbel for repair of a frozen/seized piston knob. Besides the frozen knob, my pen presented an additional symptom of suddenly leaking ink from the back end at the knob. The diagnosis for mine was a worn out part which blocks movement of the filler. Silicone grease would not help in such a case. Yours may not have the same problem as mine, of course. I'm merely adding my info in case it's of any use. I could not find anyone in U.S. to do the repairs. Good luck!

Thanks

Update:

It is done... the somewhat less pasty silicone grease that came with my Wing Sung 600 and a prod to the end of the piston shaft got things moving and the rest is history.

getting the "timing" on the piston right was a bit of a PITA, but it's all back together and the feed channel has been opened up, it won't sustain full flex (and shouldn't as the thin 18k nib tines can easily be sprung), but doesn't starve anymore and starts without fail.

The adhesive inside the blind cap appeared to be the worst epoxy I have ever seen (maybe too much hardener to resin? perhaps on purpose to decrease bond strenth?), which I wasn't comfortable with, so I stuck with what I know and did a very light coating of orange shellac. It seems to be attached well enough...

Thanks for all the suggestions and for being right that silicone grease is the panacea of piston filler ...though, I think the really stiff dive shop grease I have might not have worked as well for the initial loosening phase if I had used it.
    David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awa54 View Post
    It also seems like there is no go-to Omas repair that anyone has experience with in the USA, except for Nibs/Mottishaw, who aren't accepting repairs right now
    Has this situation changed since September 2019? I have an Omas in need of repair and have not been able to find anyone to make the fix.

Thanks for any guidance.

Thanks

Have you tried the Kennedy’s at Indy-Pen-Dance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Radonactionservices For This Useful Post:

ablewriter (December 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Not yet; but I will now that you have recommended them.

Many thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

You might also try Ron Zorn over at Main Street Pens. I think he still has some parts for different models available. Just be aware that he has very long turnaround times for repair.

All the Best.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks

I had the identical problem with my Omas Gentleman and I had to send the pen to a person in Belgium.
    He re-bored the barrell as the plastic with which these pens were made was awful and shrinks in time.
    This is why I'll never buy another Omas, nor other Italian pens for this matter.