Thread: Meisterstuck sizes help?

Thanks

Default Meisterstuck sizes help?

I'm fairly new to MB while being a somewhat pen collector and I have been recently gifted a MB rollerball but have been thinking about taking the plunge on a fountain version. For the most part all I know is the 149 being the flagship Meisterstuck but what about other options.

I know a simple search will do but I can't seem to find info in regards to how these models compare to one another in terms of size. What is the entire lineup of the Meisterstuck?

I want something very similar in size to my rollerball and what are my likely option in this lineup?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default Re: Meisterstuck sizes help?

Quote Originally Posted by mbpenguin View Post
    ...I want something very similar in size to my rollerball and what are my likely option in this lineup?
    Since Montblanc offered rollerballs in many different models, it depends upon which rollerball you have. If it was in a box, reply with the name or model number on the end label. Most are glossy black with gold trim, torpedo-shaped and came in two sizes in that design. But there are many more though less common models. Post photos if you can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...I want something very similar in size to my rollerball and what are my likely option in this lineup?
    Since Montblanc offered rollerballs in many different models, it depends upon which rollerball you have. If it was in a box, reply with the name or model number on the end label. Most are glossy black with gold trim, torpedo-shaped and came in two sizes in that design. But there are many more though less common models. Post photos if you can.

It was used for 15 years from a friend of mine, as old as my father, who recently retired. He saw me watching pen videos on a Lamy 2000 and I explained how I buy a pen for every new occasion such as starting a new job. He said he has a Montblanc that he wanted to give me. I politely declined since I thought he should keep it for sentimental value. A few days later he brought the pen and gave it to me and I have totally forgotten about the conversation.

Anyways, he is a chemist and he went to an industry trade show. He went to the Whatman booth and the lady there asked if he wanted any free stuff such as hats or samples. He said to her, "There is nothing you can give me to use your product because my company has been using your product for years." She then went to the back and brought out the MB pen and handed it to him. He used it for 15 years before retirement and now I'm using it.

Well, that's the story to my first MB pen.

It's a regular rollerball gold classique w/ the company Whatman engraved on the cap. I'm just use to the size of it perhaps a 14X that is similar? Thanks in advance..

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

It’s a Classique? Then you can opt for the old Classique 144 slip cap, the later slightly larger Classique 145 threaded cap (both use cartridges and converters), the LeGrande 146 ( integral piston filler), the _______ 147 (same size as the 146 but uses cartridges), and the big 149 that’s the largest of the 14x Meisterstuck series.

All of them are plentiful on the used market. The 147 comes up less often, but not rare by any means. You would be wise to try before you buy because unlike roller balls, fountain pen nibs vary.

Thanks

My 163 rollerball is about 5 and 3/8 inches long and the body is about 3/8 inches in diameter. The cap slips on and off. As you'll see below, the 163 rollerball is about the same size as the 144 Classique fountain pen.

My 146 fountain pen, the same size as a LeGrand rollerball, measures about 5 and ¾ inches long, and is about a half inch in diameter. Its cap screws on and off.

So if the cap on your rollerball pulls off, you have a Classique 163 rollerball. If it screws on, it's a 162 rollerball.

Meisterstück pen size comparisons:

The largest of the Meisterstück ("Masterpiece") pens, the 149, is so numbered because it has a No 9 nib, the largest nib size Montblanc makes. The third number for MB fountain pens is the nib size. The 149 is a piston filler only.

The next largest are the 147 and 146 fountain pens, called LeGrand. There are Legrand fountain pens and rollerballs. The 147 Traveler fountain pen is a cartridge filler, while the 146 fountain pen uses a piston to draw ink from a bottle. The size of the 146 and 147 pens are about the same length, diameter, and girth. They are smaller than the 149, but larger than the Classique (144) and the 145 Chopin.

Montblanc currently offers a LeGrand rollerball pen that is the about the same size and girth as the 146 and 147 fountain pens. The number is 162.

Then there is the 145, current popular model fountain pen offered in one edition as the Chopin, in homage to composer Frederic Chopin. It's smaller than the 146, but larger than the next one down, the 144. It's a cartridge filler, and a very nice pen. It comes with a Montblanc converter so you can fill it from a bottle. The 145's cap screws on, like the cap for the 149, 146, and 147. The Chopin is a bit bigger than the 144, but it fits in well with my 163 rollerball in my pocket when I travel.

The smallest in length and girth of the Meisterstuck pens is the 144 Classique, a cartridge filler. There is a Classique rollerball, the number is 163. The caps for both the 163 rollerball and 144 fountain pen are slip-on and off.

Some older 144 fountain pens that are piston fillers and have a screw cap.

Although I searched for something comparing the sizes, I didn't find anything of much help, hence the above.

If you're going to buy a Montblanc fountain pen, consider a used one from a reputable dealer at a pen show, or from somewhere like Fountain Pen Hospital, Anderson Pens, or La Couronne du Comte in the Netherlands. Their prices are bit better than what you will get on the MB website. La Couronne du Comte has MB fountain pens with Oblique Triple Broad, Oblique Broad, and Double Broad nibs in stock. Those nibs are hard to find at US dealers. FPH in New York City often has Broad nibs in stock, I was lucky to get the last Broad nib 145 they had on the shelf the day I bought mine.

The following link about Montblanc nibs may be of interest ... Jan-Patrick was CEO of Montblanc North America. Really nice guy https://janpatrickschmitz.org/the-po...e-personality/

Happy writing
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; August 30th, 2019 at 03:20 PM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Hawker800 (September 1st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I personally wouldn't choose an old slip-cap 144 rather than the current model screw-cap 145, but better still, the 146 will look nice next to your current rollerball.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Went to an authorized dealer and all they had was the 149 and that guy is a huge pen but I like the cool striped window. It has a nice effect when you spin it.

Anyways, I want something like the 149 with the window but as close to size as my rollerball pull cap.

145 and 146?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Went to an authorized dealer and all they had was the 149 and that guy is a huge pen but I like the cool striped window. It has a nice effect when you spin it.

Anyways, I want something like the 149 with the window but as close to size as my rollerball pull cap.

145 and 146?
    Not the 145 as there is no window. The 146 sounds like your pen. That has the window like the 149, but it's the next size down from that pen.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens