Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelikan M205 review

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Pelikan M205 review

Perception of quality and the methods of industrial design to achieve it are, for me, somewhat obscured by the mists of ignorance, though the topic is immensely fascinating.

For example, I have a Sheaffer pen which seems chintzy and light compared to my Montblanc 221 pens, yet both weigh exactly the same: 12.5 g with the cap. The Sheaffer, unposted, weighs about 1 g more! The Sheaffer has a polished metal cap (stainless I think) with impressed decorations and a plain black barrel that I believe to be fairly durable. The MB has a resin cap with gold trim. It seems like it shouldn't, but the Sheaffer feels really cheap and I don't know why.

Whether a pen is liked or not is, as we all know, inescapably subjective and, for me at least, utterly unpredictable. Despite materials or condition, some pens look cheap and some look high quality.

I don the cape of Captain Obvious to avoid being banned from my first Pelikan Hub or burned at the stake when I say...

I don't like my M205 much and it feels and looks much cheaper I expect given its price.

Mostly I'm disappointed because with all the Pelikan hype and my very positive, but brief, experiences with the higher end models (M600, 800, 1000), I expected a lot more.

I'm not sure if it is the very straight lines and somewhat blocky, undetailed trim, the abrupt interface between piston knob and barrel, the painted Pelikan finial on the cap, the stamped clip, the injection seams on the section, the feeling of unsubstantial weight (despite weighing 14 g), or what.

It just seems like a much cheaper pen than it's price point would suggest and I feel terrible saying so.

It is hard not to compare the M205 to another German pen in my collection, a Kaweco Dia2 which looks like a next level pen worthy of its price.

Except for overdone heft, I feel that the combination of metal medallions on each end, solid metal clip, elegant curve to the barrel, knurling details on each end, and the gently raised and curved dual cap bands combine to give the impression of a quality pen. To me, anyway. It does cost more than the Pelikan, to be fair.

I have another pen to compare with, my Pilot Stargazer, also a heavy, brass pen, that seems higher end than either of the above and is priced accordingly. The clip looks a bit cheaper than the Dia2, but the Rhodium trim is subtly and crisply detailed, the cap band boldly shaped with precision relief lettering, the shape of the pen somehow more elegant, the iterfaces and edges seem more refined in design. And of course the sparkling lacquer raises its appearance even more.

Edit: That is not to say heavy equals quality, of course. If anything, weight and my perception of quality aren't related in any sensible way.

Onto the nib, then. After my initial disappointment of unboxing the pen, I trusted the nib would be quite good.

I was not impressed. It was dry writing and had considerable, unpleasant feedback out of the box. I expected more from a pen of this cost and especially from an in-house nib maker.

The steel nib is surprisingly springy, behaving very unlike any other steel nib I've used. The nib gives the impression that it would perform brilliantly in capable hands—as opposed to mine.

Initially, I found it very difficult lay down a consistent looking line of text, letters and words that weren't too wet or too dry. I felt like I had to concentrate very hard and even then the pen felt out of my meager control.

Edit: To get the pen working in a tolerable way, I've had to do some nib smoothing and flow tuning (which shouldn't be necessary in a pen costing this much), and have also tried a variety of inks—Pelikan 4001 Black, Iroshizuku Take-sumi, J. Herbin Perle Noir, finally settling on Lamy Black as the only ink so far that seems to work well with the pen. It is working better now but as picky as it is about ink and as much work as I've put in I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

But, finally, it glides smoothly on the page with pleasant, subtle feedback and I am able to write a good line under normal pressure.

For comparison, the Pilot has a springy, gold, "fine" nib that writes on the wet side but with the right ink—it isn't as picky—it requires no concentration on my part to deliver consistent lines and controllable variation. It exhibits feedback that can be excessive or tolerable depending on ink, paper, and mood.

The Dia2 has a smoother, much firmer, "Fine" steel nib. It's good, pleasant, but kind of uninspiring, perhaps only because I like finer nibs.

Edit: On the plus side, now that I've managed to get it writing well, the M205 has some things going for it. The precision and fit and finish aren't a surprise since the pen is made completely in Germany. I find it's size to be ideal for pocket carry and long enough for me to use unposted, but I wear men's medium gloves so my hands aren't that big.

Posting the cap is secure and the pen's balance is only slightly altered by the light cap which, notably, fits very securely and precisely with no chance of being dislodged. Though I usually don't with other pens I find myself preferring to post the cap on this one.

Edit: Another thing I've noticed is the pen is very tolerant of remaining uncapped for an extended period. It is nice not to have to take the cap on and off. Even so, the cap comes off with a half rotation, thanks to its four parallel, fine-pitch cap threads. Threads which I cannot feel when writing, by the way.

Edit: I should also mention that I find the section to be of a good diameter for me. I prefer grips around 9-9.5mm diameter.

Edit: As one who appreciates a good pocket clip, just strong enough to secure the pen, but flexible enough, and with a good ball shape that clipping on thick or flexible fabric is a one handed affair, the M205 clip is one of the best I have.

Edit: Now, I only have owned a Wing Sung 3008 piston filler prior to this, but this bird's piston mechanism feels to be made with precision tolerances, and smooth in operation and the knob locks precisely and securely into place when done. It takes few turns to move the piston through its full range and flushing the pen is easy.

The ink window is a wonderful feature allowing one to effortlessly determine the ink level in seconds. Only a clear demonstrator would be easier.

New, the M205 seems to run in the $80-130 range. The Dia2 is priced around $95-125, while the Pilot Stargazer costs around $150. I initially perceived the M205 to be somewhat overpriced, while the other two pens seem to be priced about right.

Edit (Feb 2020): With one additional nib flow tuning adjustment and switching to Lamy Black ink, as well as becoming more accustomed to using it, the pen has grown on me.

The pen is now one of the few that helps improve my handwriting. Only with a few pens do I find it easier to counter these flaws and write neater and more consistently and the M205 now joins this small cadre of esteemed writing instruments.

As mentioned before, the nib is very unlike any other I own, being springy and very sensitive to pressure. Between ink, adjustments, and my adapting to the pen, at long last I can apply a consistent pressure and deliver a consistent line width.

Flow is spot on and the nib has a good balance between smooth and feedback and is pleasant to use.

Though I would have doubted it when I first got it, this M205 has become one of my better pens.
    Last edited by azkid; April 7th, 2020 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Update

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 9th, 2019), BillPorter (September 1st, 2019), ceebert (October 12th, 2019), Chrissy (December 1st, 2020), Hawker800 (September 1st, 2019)

Thanks

Default Re: Pelikan M205 review

Thank you for your thoughtful and interesting review. I think I'll take this pen off of my "might buy" list.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

You are totally right, personal preferences are really subjective.

I really like my M205 (and I own several M2xx), my perception is that that the overall building quality is really good.
    I also like the springy Pelikan 2xx Steel nibs (more than e.g. the M600 gold nib).
    The springy nib can also be modified to have much more flex (nice tinkering project).

I like their size and that they are really light pens (I donˋt like heavy (and huge) pens).

I know that some people almost seem to equal the weight of the pen with the quality and building excellence (absolutely not my opinion, as said I really dislike heavy pens)

Just a general note, the smoothness of a nib is not a given thing, every nib can be smoothed to the desired grade quite easily (by polishing it).

So overall for me the Pelikan M2xx are always a recommendation worth.

Quote 022 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

(Pelikan M205 Blue-Marbled - B EMF ..... Colorverse Crystal Planet provided by Scooby 921)

Show_response_768 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

(Pelikan M200 Demonstrator - M italic ..... Diamine Purple Pazzazz)

Show_response_43 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

(Pelikan M215 Raute - B ..... Noodlers Apache Sunset)
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; September 1st, 2019 at 10:22 AM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 1st, 2019), carlos.q (September 1st, 2019), Yazeh (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Ptero, you bring up an excellent point about construction and manufacturing quality. I should have stated that I felt it was top notch. Fit and finish were very good. And the piston mechanism, as mentioned, is superb, smooth, precise, and easy to operate.

My perception of weight must be about more than just actual weight because the M205 is about the same weight as several other pens that seem "about right".

I agree that weight and quality definitely aren't correlated in any simple way. I tend not to use my heaviest pens as often as my lighter ones.

I will keep trying different inks with the M205, and will see if I can tune and smooth it to work more how I prefer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Yeah, very personal perceptions - sometimes there are pens I don't like with no clear reason why. I know some people have the same feeling that the body material is cheap on the resin Pilot Custom Heritages and Sailors.

It's interesting what you say about the lines and the trim, given that you liked the M600 up and they are more or less the same in that respect (give or take an extra trim ring). Or did you still not much like the shape, but like the writing experience with those?

I just got hold of the yellow M205 Duo highlighter pen - it is my first transparent Pelikan as I've always gone for the coloured barrels rather than the demonstrators. I think it looks great

I do like flat-tops, and I love the Pelikan beak-clip and the way the trim ring is right at the base of the cap, so the whole thing is definitely leaning towards my preferences!

Admittedly, the only black M20x I have is the old-style M200, with the taller black domed top, impressed logo and without the 'crown'. Two rings on the cap, none on the body.

IMG_20190902_114909-01_edit.jpgIMG_20190902_115231-01_edit.jpgIMG_20190902_115329-01.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Note that Pelikan sneaks in lower-quality parts to it's high-end pens. For example, on close inspection, I discovered that my M700 Toledo has the M200 section that still shows unfinished weld lines common to M2xx sections yet absent from M4xx and up sections.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

jodylud (February 24th, 2020)

Thanks

I got to thinking last night... Maybe it is the lack of fancy, swirly or stripey barrel. The fancier pens I tried had that. The ocean swirl was to die for. The white striped 600 was impressive. I agree it makes no sense.

I agree the yellow highlighter version looks cool. Also the dual trim ring (and in gold) with no tail trim looks way nicer to me. Hm.

Interesting about the high end pen with the 20x section.

Well... Maybe another M205 is more the pen for me than this one. Or maybe I should save up for a vintage one. The 100N looks appealing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

The M200s with marbled barrels look great, and there are still quite a few of the older style ones around on eBay - the colours aren't as deep as the new marbled materials but still plenty of catching the light as you turn them.

100Ns are great!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 2nd, 2019)

Thanks

Have you considered the M215 series, with the aluminium bodies?
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

I wasn't aware that was an option. I will look into that, thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I wasn't aware that was an option. I will look into that, thanks.
    I believe they are discontinued but some might be still available and almost certainly, 'used'. I love them!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Update: I switched from Take-sumi to Perle Noir ink yesterday morning. I also worked on the nib some more, aligning, tuning wetter, and polishing more.

I am pleased to say that the M205 is writing much better now. I used it all day yesterday and am using it again today and it is definitely more enjoyable to use.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

I have an all white Pelikan M205 with a medium nib and a broad nib that I sometimes switch out the medium for. Both nibs were smooth as silk out of the box, wet but not gushers, enormously pleasant writers. Maybe you got a dud?
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    I have an all white Pelikan M205 with a medium nib and a broad nib that I sometimes switch out the medium for. Both nibs were smooth as silk out of the box, wet but not gushers, enormously pleasant writers. Maybe you got a dud?
    Could be. I know it happens sometimes.

Thanks

Interesting thread. I feel like the nibs on my last 3 Pelikans (all smaller models, purchased over the past 3 years) have really been sub-par. I like my old Pelikans much better better and feel like they are smoother writing. I do think the quality of the bodies and general fit/finish have remained good though

20. The Following User Says Thank You to marist For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 27th, 2019)

Thanks

I added an update to the OP but in summary, this M205 has become one of my most trusted, workhorse pens.

I did another flow tweak and switched to Lamy Black. Additionally, I guess I have adapted to using it because it is now one of those few pens I can write neatly with.

For me at least, this is a pen that I had to spend a lot of time with to appreciate.

What I once saw as a boring, cheap aesthetic I now see as truly remarkable precision in manufacturing, and the ultimate in understated design.

The nib, being made in house (I think) is very different in feel from anything else I have and has taken a long time to master. Now that I have it is quite nice.

Above all, this pen is practical, the appreciation of which has taken many months to develop.

Would I recommend one?

I would hesitate to recommend one to beginners. A pen costing this much should not, in my view, require nib smoothing, aligning, or tweaking. A beginner would be better served with a Pilot Metropolitan or Kakuno in my experience. I've had several and all worked beautifully out of the box. And they cost a lot less than this pen.

For a more advanced user willing to tune the nib and willing to tolerate this in a costly pen, I would offer it as a suggestion with caveats mentioned in the review. I would likely recommend other pens first, though.

I feel like this is a pen that wants to be your only pen and will reward you the more you use it.
    Last edited by azkid; April 7th, 2020 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Updated wording, removed some text that might be misleading.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (February 24th, 2020), carlos.q (February 21st, 2020)

Thanks

I have one of the royal blue/black/silver trim M205 pens. Just every aspect of it is well done. The nib writes true-to-size and has a little spring to it. It's a smooth writer that has what I would truly call "feedback" - it's not so smooth as to feel numb, but it's not scratchy at all. It has the characteristic M200-series feel. The royal blue is a great color and goes nicely with the silver trim and silver Pelikan logo. The M200 and related series (like the 205) are my favorite modern pens along with the M400. They're kind of a throwback to the golden era of fountain pens. I use them alongside my vintage Sheaffers. That's how highly I regard them.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

azkid (February 27th, 2020)

Thanks

The M2XXs, especially the clear ones, are one of my favorite pen types. Given the price, I've accumulated a disturbing number of them but it has been over ~25 years of active collecting. These days I pick up one a year of the color-of-the year pens. Just got a good price on a M600 so I've re-thought the 200 size. I kept reading that the 200 was too small and the 800 was close to ideal but maybe a bit large, and the 600 was perfect. It's not that much bigger and still fits my shirt pockets, where clip-ball to end-cap length is the issue. It's a little different and very nice to have just for some Pelikan-ish variety. I only had the green in a tiny M300 (along with a red M400 and blue M800), and think it's easier to see the level in than red or blue. I like the green stripes. The double trim rings are fine, though I don't prefer them. The ring at the end of the section I'm not crazy about. I guess it's classy, but the two-tone nib is my favorite part and I don't think it needs any help. I dunno. Happy to have it, but even at a bargain price, it was double what I've paid for 200 size pens. Not as good a value, unless the slightly larger size makes a big difference to you for aesthetic or writing-comfort reasons. You really should try both if you can. Ink capacity is the same 200 or 600, about 1.3mL. Less than some larger cartridges, almost double an international converter-full. I don't use the piston any more since I'm always swapping inks. I put in about 0.6mL eyedropper style, and give the nib unit a thorough rinsing. I don't know why that little hole is there in the middle of the back end. It seems to be a blind hole with the ink feeding in from the slits on the rim, but it needs a good rinse. I clean the barrel with a 30mL syringe and fine plastic needle. I'm sure the engineers would recoil, and in theory I could wear out the threads, but: I don't care, it's not an heirloom artifact, and I wanna try different ink colors.

So, I rethought the 200 size and basically came back to liking them. If they all became 600 size magically overnight, can't say I'd be upset. It wouldn't matter much. I would miss it a lot if I had none of those nice springy F or EF nibs. They DO vary quite a bit in flow and spring and smoothness. I even ordered a couple F ones "tuned" off nibs.com in case I want one on a pen that came with an EF or M. For my usual writing, all but a few are wetter than I like, and it's not easy to make them drier. You can do that tine-crossing thing and on the wettest ones I did that and like the result. I should probably get at least one of the larger-writing F nibs ground to an italic. I had one M400 professionally made XF with a curl, but wasn't that happy with the job. Bad day at the nibmeister, or I just don't like the style, and there's not much room to polish an EF. Yeah, I'll put a gold nib in a 200 and a steel in a 400. Never had trouble with them being so springy as to give me control problems. The Pilot gold M nibs can do that to me. If the tines are on the tighter side, there's a real delicate threshold between a dry-ish EF line and a wet M. Tuned right (if they need it, most are fine out the box) they're nice wet-ish show-off-the-ink writers. I like the Pilot F and Pelikan EF nibs best, and both give me no trouble. Different, both good, Pelikan has a more springy feel I enjoy.

So, at this point, love them all, and can't wait to see what the Moonstone M20(5?) is going to look like.

Oh, and don't forget there is/was a M150 size in case you want something really pocketable and much cheaper (and bigger) than a M300.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to radellaf For This Useful Post:

azkid (March 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post

Above all, this pen is eminently practical, the appreciation of which has taken many months to take root. It is really the only pen I have that posts without throwing off the balance, a subtle but impressive feat. The ink capacity is massive, the filling system is precise and easy, inspiring confidence. The nib resists drying out as well as my 51 pens, somehow. The ink window is glorious, the size is perfect, and on and on.
    It's great that you like the pen, but what you've written risk misleading people:

- All of my modern pens go at least 10 minutes without drying out with the inks I use (Diamine, Pilot.) That includes my $3 Wing Sung. (Which uses a clone of the Pilot "super quality" nib.)

- The ink capacity isn't "massive" - it's 1.2ml if you manage to completely fill the pen. That's less than some cartridges and not very different to eg a Pilot CON70 converter.

As for perfect size: there is no such thing. It might be the perfect size for you, that's different...

My own opinion is that you can get a better pen from China for $3 - that Wind Sung (a 3003). But I like finer nibs than Pelikan make and I have large (but not super large) hands. And I'm a very low pressure writer, so the springiness of the Pelikan nib doesn't come into play.

(Btw: whenever you hear someone say that a modern piston filler has "huge" capacity, be very doubtful! The larger the ink reservoir in a pen, the bigger the air bubble and the more room for expansion and burping as the pen empties. Manufacturers don't like the idea of getting a reputation for ruining clothes - or the bills for ruining tailored suits. That's why the M600 and M800 have about the same capacity as the M200, despite having much bigger bodies.)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    My own opinion is that you can get a better pen from China for $3 - that Wind Sung (a 3003).....

That was a good one 😂

We need good jokes in these times.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 6th, 2020), Cyril (June 14th, 2020), mana (December 1st, 2020), Ray-VIgo (April 6th, 2020)