Thread: Pelikan M205 review

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Pelikan M205 review

Perception of quality and the methods of industrial design to achieve it are, for me, somewhat obscured by the mists of ignorance, though the topic is immensely fascinating.

For example, I have a Sheaffer pen which seems chintzy and light compared to my Montblanc 221 pens, yet both weigh exactly the same: 12.5 g with the cap. The Sheaffer, unposted, weighs about 1 g more! The Sheaffer has a polished metal cap (stainless I think) with impressed decorations and a plain black barrel that I believe to be fairly durable. The MB has a resin cap with gold trim. It seems like it shouldn't, but the Sheaffer feels really cheap and I don't know why.

Whether a pen is liked or not is, as we all know, inescapably subjective and, for me at least, utterly unpredictable. Despite materials or condition, some pens look cheap and some look high quality.

I don the cape of Captain Obvious to avoid being banned from my first Pelikan Hub or burned at the stake when I say...

I don't like my M205 much and it feels and looks much cheaper I expect given its price.

Mostly I'm disappointed because with all the Pelikan hype and my very positive, but brief, experiences with the higher end models (M600, 800, 1000), I expected a lot more.

I'm not sure if it is the very straight lines and somewhat blocky, undetailed trim, the abrupt interface between piston knob and barrel, the painted Pelikan finial on the cap, the stamped clip, the injection seams on the section, the feeling of unsubstantial weight (despite weighing 14 g), or what.

It just seems like a much cheaper pen than it's price point would suggest and I feel terrible saying so.

It is hard not to compare the M205 to another German pen in my collection, a Kaweco Dia2 which looks like a next level pen worthy of its price.

Except for overdone heft, I feel that the combination of metal medallions on each end, solid metal clip, elegant curve to the barrel, knurling details on each end, and the gently raised and curved dual cap bands combine to give the impression of a quality pen. To me, anyway. It does cost more than the Pelikan, to be fair.

I have another pen to compare with, my Pilot Stargazer, also a heavy, brass pen, that seems higher end than either of the above and is priced accordingly. The clip looks a bit cheaper than the Dia2, but the Rhodium trim is subtly and crisply detailed, the cap band boldly shaped with precision relief lettering, the shape of the pen somehow more elegant, the iterfaces and edges seem more refined in design. And of course the sparkling lacquer raises its appearance even more.

Edit: That is not to say heavy equals quality, of course. If anything, weight and my perception of quality aren't related in any sensible way.

Onto the nib, then. After my initial disappointment of unboxing the pen, I trusted the nib would be quite good.

I was not impressed. It was dry writing and had considerable, unpleasant feedback out of the box. I expected more from a pen of this cost and especially from an in-house nib maker.

The steel nib is surprisingly springy, behaving very unlike any other steel nib I've used. The nib gives the impression that it would perform brilliantly in capable hands—as opposed to mine.

Initially, I found it very difficult lay down a consistent looking line of text, letters and words that weren't too wet or too dry. I felt like I had to concentrate very hard and even then the pen felt out of my meager control.

Edit: To get the pen working in a tolerable way, I've had to do some nib smoothing and flow tuning (which shouldn't be necessary in a pen costing this much), and have also tried a variety of inks—Pelikan 4001 Black, Iroshizuku Take-sumi, J. Herbin Perle Noir, finally settling on Lamy Black as the only ink so far that seems to work well with the pen. It is working better now but as picky as it is about ink and as much work as I've put in I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

But, finally, it glides smoothly on the page with pleasant, subtle feedback and I am able to write a good line under normal pressure.

For comparison, the Pilot has a springy, gold, "fine" nib that writes on the wet side but with the right ink—it isn't as picky—it requires no concentration on my part to deliver consistent lines and controllable variation. It exhibits feedback that can be excessive or tolerable depending on ink, paper, and mood.

The Dia2 has a smoother, much firmer, "Fine" steel nib. It's good, pleasant, but kind of uninspiring, perhaps only because I like finer nibs.

Edit: On the plus side, now that I've managed to get it writing well, the M205 has some things going for it. The precision and fit and finish aren't a surprise since the pen is made completely in Germany. I find it's size to be ideal for pocket carry and long enough for me to use unposted, but I wear men's medium gloves so my hands aren't that big.

Posting the cap is secure and the pen's balance is only slightly altered by the light cap which, notably, fits very securely and precisely with no chance of being dislodged. Though I usually don't with other pens I find myself preferring to post the cap on this one.

Edit: Another thing I've noticed is the pen is very tolerant of remaining uncapped for an extended period. It is nice not to have to take the cap on and off. Even so, the cap comes off with a half rotation, thanks to its four parallel, fine-pitch cap threads. Threads which I cannot feel when writing, by the way.

Edit: I should also mention that I find the section to be of a good diameter for me. I prefer grips around 9-9.5mm diameter.

Edit: As one who appreciates a good pocket clip, just strong enough to secure the pen, but flexible enough, and with a good ball shape that clipping on thick or flexible fabric is a one handed affair, the M205 clip is one of the best I have.

Edit: Now, I only have owned a Wing Sung 3008 piston filler prior to this, but this bird's piston mechanism feels to be made with precision tolerances, and smooth in operation and the knob locks precisely and securely into place when done. It takes few turns to move the piston through its full range and flushing the pen is easy.

The ink window is a wonderful feature allowing one to effortlessly determine the ink level in seconds. Only a clear demonstrator would be easier.

New, the M205 seems to run in the $80-130 range. The Dia2 is priced around $95-125, while the Pilot Stargazer costs around $150. I initially perceived the M205 to be somewhat overpriced, while the other two pens seem to be priced about right.

Edit (Feb 2020): With one additional nib flow tuning adjustment and switching to Lamy Black ink, as well as becoming more accustomed to using it, the pen has grown on me.

The pen is now one of the few that helps improve my handwriting. Only with a few pens do I find it easier to counter these flaws and write neater and more consistently and the M205 now joins this small cadre of esteemed writing instruments.

As mentioned before, the nib is very unlike any other I own, being springy and very sensitive to pressure. Between ink, adjustments, and my adapting to the pen, at long last I can apply a consistent pressure and deliver a consistent line width.

Flow is spot on and the nib has a good balance between smooth and feedback and is pleasant to use.

Though I would have doubted it when I first got it, this M205 has become one of my better pens.
    Last edited by azkid; April 7th, 2020 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Update

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 9th, 2019), BillPorter (September 1st, 2019), ceebert (October 12th, 2019), Chrissy (December 1st, 2020), Hawker800 (September 1st, 2019)