Thread: A Puzzling Pelikan

Thanks

Default A Puzzling Pelikan

Hi all, my first post here and I am not sure if I have got this in the right place or not.
    I Have a green 400NN with a serious crack so I bought a 400 Tortoise "body" that also had a nib, but the photo's on the auction site did not show the back of the nib and I was a bit surprised at what arrived, Here is the front with what appears to be a script nib-IMG_3701.JPG
    And here is the back-IMG_3702.JPG
    From some research it appears to have a feed from an early M400. The script nib appears to be pushed in further than the logo nib on the 400NN-IMG_3703.JPG
    I really like the Tortoise and it is in very good condition, but I cannot remove the nib unit. I have tried soaking in room temperature water for 36hrs but it really wants to stay put. I am reluctant to use too much pressure. I was able to remove the nib unit on the 400NN without much difficulty so I was not expecting this. What should I do? There is no repairer where I live and I would need to send it away to get to one. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rocl; August 31st, 2019 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

Default Re: A Puzzling Pelikan

The feed is not correct for a Pelikan.
    I don't know if it's the lighting but the bottom part of the section appears to have ridges. If it does then that's not a Pelikan body.
    Last, the nib could well be pushed to far in or that's a Pelikan 140 nib which is smaller than the 400 nib.
    I would suggest you return this pen and get your money back.
    Last edited by carlos.q; August 31st, 2019 at 08:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,778 Times in 1,422 Posts

Hi
    Carlos told it already, this is the wrong feed but the nib is correct for an early 400
    (140 script nibs looks different).
    I would try to warm the section gently and then to wiggle out nib and feed, maybe it was mounted without nib collar...?
    There is another option to knock out the nib and feed, but for this you needed to remove the piston...
    C.

Thanks

Thank you both for the replies. It does seem the nib is a 400 script, I had thought it was a smaller nib when I looked with just my eyes, but when I saw the photo i could see the breather holes were were different distances from the body.
    I am very good at making things worse in some situations, so I think I will send it to a repairer. I hope the threads are not too damaged.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

From your original post it seemed like you wanted a new body for your own nib unit, to replace your cracked body.

The one that you bought might not be the right one to do this with. Something has already gone wrong with the nib and feed end of the section as someone has put in a nib and feed that should not look like it does, and your correct nib and feed might never fit in there as it should.

Returning it and getting a full refund, then finding another, more suitable body, might be the better way to go, than spending a lot more money to potentially have a Pelikan with a nib and feed that you might never be able to change easily.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I sent a message off to a repairer here in NZ. This morning I had still not heard back so I thought I would have another play with it. I saw on youtube someone using that sticky drawer liner rubbery material to pull a nib unit out of a pen. I had some so I thought I might give it a go as I would have a firmer grip on the section so I could protect the join with the barrel.
    It worked, and the unit unscrewed. The feed was nothing like any Pelikan I have seen. I changed the nibs over on the unit I already had from the damaged pen, screwed it in, inked up and started writing. Lovey nib! Very fine but with some flex. I am 67yrs old and have used fountain pens at school and often since, but have only just begun to explore them as more than a basic tool. I have also never had a nib that flexed, apart from those dip ones that I managed to dig holes in my books with in primary school. So please forgive my attempts to show the properties of this nib after only 5mins of playing around. This is a very different nib to the fine logo one and I am pleased I made the effort.
    DSC00885.JPG

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rocl For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 12th, 2019), Chrissy (September 11th, 2019), mana (September 18th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,778 Times in 1,422 Posts

Great result!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

We all love happy endings!